Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

soneil
03.27.2013 , 02:02 AM | #4071
Can we please get this thread on track. Several pages of mostly petty arguments about ping isn't productive.

Ping = bad so we'd prefer not to have to go to US servers. Ping = disadvantage in pvp and endgame compared to US players on the same server. I think that's enough as we need to say about that point. We get it.

I think most people agree that a merger between the apac servers is the best solution. I like to think bioware are open minded enough to re-evaluate their decision and look very closely at whether that option is viable. Whether us loyal APAC players are important enough for them to warrant one server.

If they make a decision that it's not viable then can they at least be honest about that and drop the bs about it being in the interests of our play experience. More importantly, can they please be a tad more flexible about the transfers. Rather than just arbitrarily saying everyone who's on this type of server currently will be going to this particular US server. Can we please get a choice in the matter.

When I originally came to an APAC server after several enjoyable months playing on Sanctum of the Exalted (may that server rest in peace), I chose to do it. Not only was it my choice, but I was allowed to choose which server I came to. It wasn't a case of, "you're on a roleplaying server so you have to go to gav daragon". I could have easily chosen to move to a pvp or pve server if I'd wanted to. That wouldn't have hurt anyone. Why don't we get that choice now? I know several people who don't necessarily want to go to the same server type they're on now. People on RP servers who would rather go to a PVE server. Or people on a PVE server who would like to go to a PVP server. Is there any good reason why players shouldn't be able to choose their destination server? I can think of none.

For me personally, I'm happy to go to an RP server but not the one being chosen. My old server along with some others was rolled in to Ebon Hawke. That's where my old guild and several old in game friends now are. I know my player names and legacy name are still available there. That's where I want to go rather than start all over yet again on a server that's completely new to me. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't be able to choose my destination server without re-rolling? I really don't think that's a big ask. Again I can think of absolutely no downsides to giving people a choice of server. For me that's a pretty important issue and one I'd like addressed.
Academy Exemplar - Gav Daragon
Republic 50s - Nefash, Tal-Hirron, Delin
Imperial 50s - Terrill, Rending, Vermeesa
Nefash's Pilot Training School - Space missions resource.

PseudoScience
03.27.2013 , 02:03 AM | #4072
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.
You do realise a lot of us came from these same servers we are being sent back to right? So some of us know how suboptimal the US servers are when connecting to Australia. Red circles, moving of AOE, getting a stun off in time are all just some of the issues that mean the difference between a raid wipe or losing a crucial PvP battle.

You are downplaying the situation to suit your agenda. Free transfers for all APAC to any server would of been the best option and we could have suited those who wanted to go US or elsewhere and those who love localised servers and wanted to stay.
APAC

ikioi
03.27.2013 , 02:04 AM | #4073
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
Ping (e.g., that number on your bottom right UI) is correlated to distance to server. There are latency reduction technologies which servers can employ, but generally the hardware itself is very stable.
Actually latency is directly related to hops, not distance. You'd know this if you had any clue about networking. The more routers you have to go through, the higher the latency.

Quote:
And you're assuming that these packet losses and spikes only affect APAC players. They can happen to anyone with an unreliable internet connection.
The chances of lag spikes, ping, and packet loss occurring increase the more hops your connection needs to reach its destination. So for someone in the USA who has 8 hops to reach the server, vs an Australian with 16, the Australian is far more likely to encounter connection issues.

Quote:
What IS stable is that on average, a US player will only have an advantage of roughly 0.12 to 0.18 seconds over APAC players (assuming US player averages 50ms and APAC averages 200ms).
Which is a significant advantage in PVP, and fractions of a second can easily cause wipes in PVE.

Also Bioware you can kiss my subscription good bye. A overwhelming majority of people in this thread were in favour of merging all three APAC servers into one. Reading through the thread paints a pretty clear picture, most players were happy to forgo their server type if it meant they could retain an regional APAC server. Players would rather lose their RP and PVP server if it meant they could still play on a server located within their region.

It also must be a coincidence that you've made this decision just as your APAC server hosting contracts have come up for renewal. So too that it was pure coincidence that after 7 months of ignoring us your decision just so happened to be made around the server renewal time.

kaug
03.27.2013 , 02:10 AM | #4074
I parse about 3/4 of the damage on on US servers compared to the APAC. Anyone who says ping and server lag is not an issue just doesn't know the facts. Aussie guilds will always be at a disadvantage for PVE raid encounters which are tuned to players reaching there max dps with a good connection. In PVP when ever i force jump to a player with a marauder, by the time my character gets there the other player is long gone. When a player attacks me by the time I see that they are attacking I'm already half dead. I know a few Aussies will give the US server a go, but I'm not willing to pay for a subpar experience, for a company that cares more about its wallet then customer satisfaction, good luck to them.

Icykill_
03.27.2013 , 02:10 AM | #4075
PETITION JUST HIT 400

KEEP THE FAITH... AND HOPEFULLY A MERGED APAC SERVER... SIGN THE PETITION AT THE BELOW LINK

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...em-into-1.html

elitenz
03.27.2013 , 02:12 AM | #4076
I still don't understand why they never set up an official forum poll that would show a true outcome.

iheartnyc
03.27.2013 , 02:13 AM | #4077
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
And there it is...
You who have not had the experience are trying to tell us that have lived though it we are wrong.

Oh and BTW I am angry at the decision and lack of consultation, I don't intend to quit as yet, and nor do I encourage others to.

But having actually been there at start your posts rubbed me up the wrong way as I have experienced what you were trying to say doesn't happen.
Naw I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong. I know many of you will be screwed by this decision and I feel for you and think you should get a refund if that is what you want.

I just don't like seeing that reasonable action being hijacked into a message that this screws all of APAC as a whole and that the game will be unplayable if you're from APAC. That may be so, and if so, I am truly sorry and it sucks and feel free to do whatever you feel you need to do (e.g., calling for a merger). But a merger is most likely not going to happen at this point, and I think some people need to start thinking about making arrangements (e.g., whether and when to start leveling, crafting, etc. on US servers, if at all) and testing it out by rerolling now to see how playable the game is before shelling out for the ROTHC.

ikioi
03.27.2013 , 02:14 AM | #4078
Quote: Originally Posted by elitenz View Post
I still don't understand why they never set up and official forum poll that would show a true outcome.
Because Bioware know it would only make them look like fools.

When 80+ % of APAC players vote to retain a local server and the figures are public to everyone, how would Bioware justify their decision?

Prester-John
03.27.2013 , 02:14 AM | #4079
I've been checking this thread almost every day since it started. I'm happy to see a decision has been made. I knew that closing down the local servers was an option when I preordered the expansion. I also know that there is no world pvp and we're not gaining anything by moving to a US pvp server. We'll still see the same faces in WZs in our local prime time because it will be after US prime time. The only difference will be higher latency. Anyway to cut to the chase I play this game because of the local servers. If there is no local server then I have no incentive to subscribe.

Prior to playing SWTOR I played Eve and moving to a game with local servers and good latency was a fantastic experience. If I have to play on a server with bad latency then I will probably go back to Eve when the local servers close.

Icykill_
03.27.2013 , 02:14 AM | #4080
Quote: Originally Posted by elitenz View Post
I still don't understand why they never set up and official forum poll that would show a true outcome.
Or even a player email POLL... they know our email addresses and where we reside

PETITION JUST HIT 400

KEEP THE FAITH... AND HOPEFULLY A MERGED APAC SERVER... SIGN THE PETITION AT THE BELOW LINK

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...em-into-1.html