Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarkSaberMaster
03.26.2013 , 11:51 AM | #231
Now that the Devs have spoken, can we finally move on from this? Just sayin.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow) D'aege: (Engineering Sniper)
The Harbinger "Rangers Lead the Way"
The Jawa's Order
Referral link for free stuff

DarthMaulUK
03.26.2013 , 11:54 AM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
Thanks for jumping in. I personally t hink that if you made Civil War like Norva Coast (IE, you need to hold at least 2 turrets to deal damage), it would probably make this one of THE most enjoyable warzones out there
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

LarryRow
03.26.2013 , 11:54 AM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Omisri View Post
Well,

The game already picks up the fact if someone disconnects vs logs off / quits (judging from the chat channel messages and DC'd sign over a group members icon). Surely this could be tied in with those settings? eg as it picks up a player had dc'd then simply don't apply any cooldown / punishment otherwise, do. coupled with timing a person quitting. say, anything that's 4 mins or over from entering that doesn't fit into the DC'd group?
"Bah! My team is all N00bs!!"
/pulls out internet cable and/or disables wifi
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Choffware
03.26.2013 , 11:57 AM | #234
Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
Totally missing the point again Bioware... Totally missing the point. Players getting disconnected can be protected by OH I DON'T know... lets say COMMON SENSE PROGRAMING! . All you have to do is invoke the penalty on any player that quits the warzone by using his mouse and keyboard. In other words if any window event cause them to leave... exit the area, logging out, closing the game.... If then if they disconnect they can re-queue. Of course a person can easily rip there network line out... but fine that's a pain in butt and they will have to quit playing for awhile. Back filling is a HORRID mechanism. It penalizes a player from entering a warzone on a loosing team. Often rewarding them with very little coms and helpless to turn the tide of the match. You need to stop the back fills or kill warzones much quicker when people quit. have a four person quit limit... after 4 quits that side auto forfeits the game. And invoke some sort of deterrent for quitters. People that are disconnected are in the minority vs people that are back filled into a game that is half over and can't win.

TO everyone that thinks... "I don't want to be forced to stay in a warzone that is no fun" NO ONE forced you to que. play to the end or stop queueing. RWZ without question should be protected against quitters period end of story. Just about every other pvp game devs have figured out how to do it... why can't you.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

Caeliux
03.26.2013 , 12:12 PM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post
Totally missing the point again Bioware... Totally missing the point. Players getting disconnected can be protected by OH I DON'T know... lets say COMMON SENSE PROGRAMING! . All you have to do is invoke the penalty on any player that quits the warzone by using his mouse and keyboard. In other words if any window event cause them to leave... exit the area, logging out, closing the game.... If then if they disconnect they can re-queue. Of course a person can easily rip there network line out... but fine that's a pain in butt and they will have to quit playing for awhile. Back filling is a HORRID mechanism. It penalizes a player from entering a warzone on a loosing team. Often rewarding them with very little coms and helpless to turn the tide of the match. You need to stop the back fills or kill warzones much quicker when people quit. have a four person quit limit... after 4 quits that side auto forfeits the game. And invoke some sort of deterrent for quitters. People that are disconnected are in the minority vs people that are back filled into a game that is half over and can't win.

I feel the same way you do, I do think the only reason no punishment is fear of repercussion of losing MORE subs which means less money for Bioware.

That is the bottom line, but it still by no reason makes a good enough excuse not to implement it.

DarkSaberMaster
03.26.2013 , 12:16 PM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post

TO everyone that thinks... "I don't want to be forced to stay in a warzone that is no fun" NO ONE forced you to que. play to the end or stop queueing. RWZ without question should be protected against quitters period end of story. Just about every other pvp game devs have figured out how to do it... why can't you.
Too bad. EAware has spoken. Move along.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow) D'aege: (Engineering Sniper)
The Harbinger "Rangers Lead the Way"
The Jawa's Order
Referral link for free stuff

Twin
03.26.2013 , 12:26 PM | #237
Hey Gang,

I hope you understand that you also would need to implement:

-Vote kick players that aint working to support the team

But most importantly

- Allow us to exclude or chose warzone.

Because just like Caeliux "Tells you" we need such rules, Ill assure you that a deserter debuff without those 2 options will end with a lot of lost PvP subs.

I would LOVE to get a yellow reply to those 2 issues, but in all honesty i dont have much hope.

Would YOU think it's entertaining to use your personal free time losing games due to other players not working as a team, in a warzone you dont like? If not, and you're hoping to implement a debuff - please justify why those 2 options should not also be implemented.
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

DarthFamine
03.26.2013 , 12:31 PM | #238
Vote kicking I am not at all opposed to, but a quitters debuff is a gamebreaker for me.

as for civil war don't remove the side speeders, and definitely don't make it score like NC then we would have two wz with the exact same mechanic and that would get old fast.

Perhaps make the turrets easier to cap, but only if more than one person is capping. similar to NC capping mechanic.

perhaps only at mid though to make it have a little more strategic value?

maybe a direct speeder to mid?
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

LarryRow
03.26.2013 , 12:57 PM | #239
You know what would be pure chaos? Have both side speeders turned on for both teams all the time. Mwahaha!!

Maybe just for a couple days so we can try it? Please?
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Omisri
03.26.2013 , 01:11 PM | #240
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
"Bah! My team is all N00bs!!"
/pulls out internet cable and/or disables wifi
true... but by the time that they plug it all back in and have to re log into the game...

If the "cooldown" was say, 10mins or so (for the sake of arguments lets say it took 10 mins or so to relog after a crash or router pull) then it would take the same amount of time to relog or to sit out a cooldown period making it pointless to do that.

I don't know if it does this all the time. But when I have lost connection its closed the entire client
Kleck - Jugg Omisri - Maud Aeox - Assassin Meign - Sorc Idep - Stealthy Operative Jacke - Merc
SWTOR - No longer is it like the pain of a full bladder in your car on a long journey, relieved by a hidden service station. But the dissapointment you get when you find out you were not in a car - you were asleep, just wet yourself, and had to pay for new bedding.