Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pre 50 Mob skipping and players who are too high level.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Pre 50 Mob skipping and players who are too high level.

03.25.2013 , 10:28 AM | #11
The two issues are actually very related.

If I've popped for my random to a FP that is way below me level wise (which happens frequently because I usually play a tank or healer), then I have zero incentive to do all of the trash mobs. I have slightly more incentive to do the bonuses as I at least get XP for those. I will be getting no gear, little XP and I'm killing the XP for the other people in the group. That being said I frequently will not accept a way too low level mission if I'm on my tank or heals as I know I can requeue and get in pretty quickly. But if I've waited 20 mins to get a group pop I'm going to take that one, blast through it as quickly as possible to get the random reward and move onto another toon....

However, I will point out that learning how to skip the trash mobs in the sub 50 regular modes prepares you well for skipping things post 50....

03.25.2013 , 12:16 PM | #12
Yes, a specific kind if skill: navigational awareness.
People wanting to skip mobs is a product of individuals who would rather spend their time in a flashpoint the out questing. I like flashpointsnmire than questing, thus I've run them a million times. The problem is that you learn the quickest way through the dungeon, and sort of wih other people wanted to move as quickly as possible. I don't get mad or anything, but I wish I could just get auto-grouped with other people who also value the technical nature
of a speed run.
I enjoy experiencing his technical element more than what I experience while questing across huge maps.
One preference isn't better than they other.
Thus people need ways to get group with others of same preference with group-finder functionality.
Then no run is faster or slower than what the entire group wants it to be.

Ps. I'm not anti-social. I just like options.

03.25.2013 , 05:35 PM | #13
Players are not at fault for the heavy XP penalty applied to groups with a difference of more than a couple of levels, that rest solely at Bioware's feet. Players simply want to get their daily done, and queue random to do get the daily and GF daily completed together.

Queuing random though means a player might get put in an FP they over level by 5 or more levels, resulting in little XP for the player as the mobs are all green (and possibly grey) while also resulting in the other players getting very little due to the heavy penalty lower level players receive when grouped with higher level players.

Some solutions include narrowing the bands for each flashpoint (not recommended as wait times already suck) or changing the XP formulas for groups using GF (normalize all XP per player as though each player is killing same level mobs with same level group mates).

As for skipping, I skip anything that is annoying or out of the way.

Want to kill the champ droids in Cademimu - good luck tanking it yourself or waiting for another.

Want to kill X droids in Foundry - no problem, most are killed along the way and the extra ones only take a few moments.

03.25.2013 , 07:14 PM | #14
i never care about the xp penalty. i always ask people if they want a full run and if they want the bonus. same thing if in a HM i see someone undergeared: he has the right to see any drop the instance can provide. just talk..if you are short in time you shouldn't start a fp..

03.26.2013 , 04:44 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ubermouth View Post
I wish they included the following toggle options to better match people's preferences:
Skip convos?
Speed run?
Loot instance?: no more battle looting.

I don't like trying to convince people to do the run my ways, and I'm sick of people trying to convince me. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to attempt to auto-group people of similar preferences.
Just give us more filters in group finder so we don't have to force our preferences on each other
give me a Speed run option I m all for that ))) yea yea if they gave us that id prolly get more HM FP for the daily done faster on my now 6 50's two more inc after this weekend ..maybe one more the last weekend of the 8th ..

03.26.2013 , 04:52 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
i never care about the xp penalty. i always ask people if they want a full run and if they want the bonus. same thing if in a HM i see someone undergeared: he has the right to see any drop the instance can provide. just talk..if you are short in time you shouldn't start a fp..
I do something the same way unless I'm feeling bad want it done is ... IF I see they are under geared I'll ask them ..

or other wise I let them know I will be skipping whatever I can .. and with groups were there geared I don't need to ask we just do it and skip all we can ..

03.26.2013 , 05:03 AM | #17
to me its not bad behavior at 50 in HM FP and all MMO to date they do it , SWTOR will never be any diff to that degree .. but yea when I run anything below that I try to clear it all for the xp alone .. I have yet need to any loot per 50 in any game I have played till max level, I don't even bro till max level and only replace here or there .. as needed , unless I see some gear id want at max level that looks cool and is mod able ,,,,, then yea I want that .. in this game ..

03.26.2013 , 05:39 AM | #18
Narrowing the level range eligible for the flashpoint would cause a new problem--only being eligible for 1-2 flashpoints at a time. People already complain about how often they get Flashpoint X. How ugly do you think it would get if the ONLY options were X and Y? There are not enough "leveling" flashpoints for this way to work.

If they alter the way xp penalties work, then people can level to 50 while farming trivial content. Maybe that doesn't matter but it just seems wrong. Find most efficient flashpoint, grind to 50. Meh.

And what happens when knowledgeable tanks/healers start kicking over-leveled dps to get around this problem?

Tough problem to fix.

03.26.2013 , 05:44 AM | #19
For me, the moment it goes gray, i skip it...unless i just need to hand in the quest, then i just hand it in, but if it is gray before i even start it, i don't even bother.

03.26.2013 , 06:41 AM | #20
I vote against anything that would make the queues longer than they already are. It can be a pain for dps to get to a fp at all.

And for mob skipping, if there is no bonus, I'd prefer to skip everything I can. Why? Because I do fps because I want to do something else than killing random enemies that offer me no challenge at all. If I want to do just that, I can just do normal quests. However, if the mobs actually provide some challenge (There's at least 1 at Hammer Station that can cause a wipe, and also a few in red reaper, love fighting those), and I'm more than happy to fight them, but for me, killing everything in the fp is like leveling by running around the planet killing random mobs instead of doing missions.
BUT, if the fp has a bonus, then I'm all in for doing it, because it gives an additional boss, and bosses are the reason I do fps. They are fun to fight.