Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Psyclic
03.25.2013 , 06:00 PM | #3341
Oh and EAWare in case you are wondering how APAC players feel about you right at this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Onjdw_FXyw

Replace "Phil Daoust" with "BioWare"
<Reverence> Dalborra
Psyclic | Saerah | Seelah | Zi'Lanna | Chartre | Vires
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

Kalliadies
03.25.2013 , 06:01 PM | #3342
No way. Nothing gets in the way of gaming experience MORE than ping. The reason alot of us play this MMO is we actually have a smooth experience. For example the difference in angle for knock backs are affected massively by ping. On american servers it throws them the wrong way compared to what we see. I do NOT miss that

Even on the PvP server there is NO WORLD PVP so we would be more than happy to be merged into one big PVE server, with zones like illum for PVP.

Not only that, but we play in a different time zone than americans, so the server populations will feel no different to us. YOU ARE SOLVING NOTHING and alienating loyal customers from early access.

When this game goes back to american servers Im out. (paying subs since early access)

deltadt
03.25.2013 , 06:06 PM | #3343
Quote: Originally Posted by SturmUndSterne View Post
My question is this. Harbinger already has stupid lag and ridiculous amounts of server instability due to the high population. What's being done to address this, especially with the now-imminent influx of new players?
thats the thing that makes me go what are they thinking they already have problems with harbinger. again bioware makes the wrong decision.

rickochey
03.25.2013 , 06:10 PM | #3344
If you think you're saving money by not merging servers - think again! Prepare for mass un-subbing from some extremely loyal players. GL fixing this one.
Bessy . . .

wordless
03.25.2013 , 06:16 PM | #3345
Quote: Originally Posted by rickochey View Post
If you think you're saving money by not merging servers - think again! Prepare for mass un-subbing from some extremely loyal players. GL fixing this one.
They probably thought of this and decided they could afford 70% ish of apac players to quit

Kalolo
03.25.2013 , 06:16 PM | #3346
Bye APAC servers, bye SWTOR, 1 more lost subscriber. Was fun till it last.
Have fun to those who sticks with the game.
Before Swtor launched i was
Then i tried the game and i was
I waited for fixes and i was and , sometimes going
Now i understand why people call you BIOFAIL and i'm

TwinCinema
03.25.2013 , 06:17 PM | #3347
I have been playing the game sine Early Access, with the exception of a 3-4 month break in mid 2012. I have played almost exclusively on NA West Coast servers; originally Ajunta Pall and now Begeren Colony. My main play style is Warzone PVP and a little questing. My ping usually sits at the high 180s to low 240s on a bad day. I have no problem doing well in PVP in this climate. I don't often have long waits for queue pops, except for very late at night and even then usually less than 10 mins. On weekends it's very quick to pop.

I lost some character names during the original server merge process, which I admit was upsetting, but I have moved on and still love my characters. I tried playing on the APAC servers at launch and while I noticed that the ping made a difference in PVP, it was not such that I felt crippled going back to the NA server. Ultimately I left the APAC servers after a while due to the higher population on Begeren Colony making the game much more enjoyable.

I really hope that you guys stick with the game. I understand a lot of the frustration - I went through some similar issues when Ajunta Pall closed down and felt rather betrayed and angry. But it all worked out, I'm happy in the game and with my server.

I'm certainly not here to tell you that you're wrong to be upset, just to share my experience.

Cheers.
Every day I'm Smugglin'.

HanChewie
03.25.2013 , 06:21 PM | #3348
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:
  • Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)
We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric
That sux! I enjoy raiding but with a ping of >400 I doubt I will enjoy it anymore. And what about toon name and Legacy? This will be the nail in the coffin for many APAC SWTOR fans. We beg you to reconsider.
“I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the wookiee win.”

Kalliadies
03.25.2013 , 06:22 PM | #3349
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinCinema View Post
I have been playing the game sine Early Access, with the exception of a 3-4 month break in mid 2012. I have played almost exclusively on NA West Coast servers; originally Ajunta Pall and now Begeren Colony. My main play style is Warzone PVP and a little questing. My ping usually sits at the high 180s to low 240s on a bad day. I have no problem doing well in PVP in this climate. I don't often have long waits for queue pops, except for very late at night and even then usually less than 10 mins. On weekends it's very quick to pop.

I lost some character names during the original server merge process, which I admit was upsetting, but I have moved on and still love my characters. I tried playing on the APAC servers at launch and while I noticed that the ping made a difference in PVP, it was not such that I felt crippled going back to the NA server. Ultimately I left the APAC servers after a while due to the higher population on Begeren Colony making the game much more enjoyable.

I really hope that you guys stick with the game. I understand a lot of the frustration - I went through some similar issues when Ajunta Pall closed down and felt rather betrayed and angry. But it all worked out, I'm happy in the game and with my server.

I'm certainly not here to tell you that you're wrong to be upset, just to share my experience.

Cheers.
Glad you are happy with it. Thing is we have already all played on american servers. And for PvP the ping makes a massive difference, from knock back angles, interupts, cc breaks. Enough to make or break a fight.

I just dont think I am "willing" to handle that crap all over

pofisio
03.25.2013 , 06:22 PM | #3350
Not that you have a choice apparently, but I'd like to to say welcome to the Harbinger,Dalborra players. I'm an off hours player so I'm sure I'll be around at least when you guys are on.

On the other hand : As a Harbinger player I'm also a little concerned about further worsening the server instability. Chat servers and mail servers have been sketchy for a week or so as is. The Harbinger has also crashed the most of any server as far as I'm aware. Merging Dalborra ( the highest pop APAC server if I understand correctly) with the Harbinger ( one of the highest pop US servers) seems a little scary. I spose they oughta redirect some of the defunct APAC resources into beefing up the server stabilty of the Harbinger/ Bastion ect?

Also, please refer to this for Harbinger Indoctrination :
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=608539