Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Psyclic
03.25.2013 , 05:19 PM | #3321
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
This is exactly what I'm saying.

1. My ping will be around 280. Can you play on this? Yes. Will your performance always be impaired by this? Yes. I don't just want to play to an acceptable standard, I want to play to the best of my abilities. That's what I enjoy.
2. I don't play other MMOs for this reason, so chew on that. I will simply not be playing another MMO when I leave this game.
3. This won't solve population issues anyway (y'know, those ones that we weren't experiencing on the Dalborra), because my primetime is at a completely different time from the Harbingers'.

The attempts at spinning this are really quite pathetic. They're trying to trumpet "Population > All" when the Dalborra was quite bearable to begin with, when the majority of the people in this thread wanted an APAC merger, and when their solution is to move us to a server that's on another timezone. Say what?

Also, where was the importance of playstyle when the EU RP-PvPers got nuked out of existence?
Ves hitting the nail on the head yet again.
The fact that this is being disguised as a solution is what confounds me even further. I think what happened was this
"APAC players are getting pissed about pop's they want a server merge"
"How much money do we make from them"
"We don't know"
"Tell them to wait for F2P, see how much they spend in the cash shop and if we get more sub's"
Queue forum post telling us they are looking into it and want our opinions
Fast forward a few months
"So the APAC server's, what should we do"
"How much money do we make from them and how much is server CAPEX/OPEX?"
"Income from APAC plays is less than or equal to OPEX/CAPEX of the servers"
"Can we afford to lose 50% of our APAC server sub base?"
"Yes"
"Tell them we are solving there problems by moving them to a US server and shut down the servers."

All of this is spin, sorry guys but we are not economically viable.
<Reverence> Dalborra
Psyclic | Saerah | Seelah | Zi'Lanna | Chartre | Vires
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

Brillat
03.25.2013 , 05:21 PM | #3322
Quote: Originally Posted by ChaosOES View Post
I don't play on Dalborra for the population size. I play to raid with my friends. So if the population is 300 or 8 it does not matter. What I do care about is ping times. I cannot go from raiding with 60ms to 400-500ms. And it's not just me. If my entire raid group has that same connection speeds it will make the game unplayable - regardless of server population.

Not once have i noticed a major reduction of population sizes. APAC is small yes, but not at the expense of user experience. If you turn off APAC servers, people will not move to The Harbinger. They will unsubscribe.

BW/EA - If you guys need more money to fund the servers in APAC then go ask Disney.
I know the closure is a bitter pill to swallow, especially for PvPers (I consider myself one) but I'd say to try it before jumping to the 'it will be unplayable' conclusion. I created a character on Begeren and tried some WZs once I hit level 10 .... it was surprisingly playable and my latency from East Coast Australia was a lot better than I expected (hovering around 150ms on average).

vian
03.25.2013 , 05:24 PM | #3323
Quote: Originally Posted by Kirjalax View Post
how do you check names without actually creating a character?
Make a placeholder character for now, and then delete it when (or a few hours before) they do the transfers.
Two blasters; no waiting!

SunfirePhenix
03.25.2013 , 05:25 PM | #3324
Are you F'n kidding me EAware? it took you like 7 months to come up with this **** solution thats not even a solution but a good reason for all APAC players to quit playing your game?

Whats the point in having a higher population if we cant even play the game properly because of high latency? HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS A SOLUTION!!! i think most would agree that we'd rather have you merge the APAC servers together than go along with what you have set to implicate...

With the changes you have announced i doubt i will be able to regularly do operations and go crazy in PVP without lag! and this will definately force me to quit the game, so frekin change your minds aye!!!
APAC CONSOLIDATED SERVER EVENT
7th April 2013, 5PM AEDT Dalborra - www.zer0ping.com

Sign the petition http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ignatures.html

KippleMaster
03.25.2013 , 05:26 PM | #3325
Quote: Originally Posted by BenJohannson View Post
Well, I suppose my latency will drop as I play from the U.S., but I chose an Aussie/Kiwi server for a very simple reason: I don't like playing with other Americans much. Too high a proportion of jerks, trash-talkers and geeks who take themselves waaaaay to seriously. Bioware is confiscating a cultural difference I valued, and I'm not sure I'll keep my subscription after this.
This is my biggest problem too. I live in Australia but Americans are my kin. By blood no less.

In fact I loved the almost complete absence of trash-talk on Dalborra, Republic side at least, which is one of the reasons I stuck with this game.

darthnish
03.25.2013 , 05:28 PM | #3326
Quote: Originally Posted by SunfirePhenix View Post
Are you F'n kidding me EAware? it took you like 7 months to come up with this **** solution thats not even a solution but a good reason for all APAC players to quit playing your game?

Whats the point in having a higher population if we cant even play the game properly because of high latency? HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS A SOLUTION!!! i think most would agree that we'd rather have you merge the APAC servers together than go along with what you have set to implicate...

With the changes you have announced i doubt i will be able to regularly do operations and go crazy in PVP without lag! and this will definately force me to quit the game, so frekin change your minds aye!!!
eh you'll be fine sunfire, oceanic players and non us layers have over come latency in past mmos, tbh though i think the ping from nz to east coast was around 120~160 ms last i checked which is acceptable in my books

Yndras
03.25.2013 , 05:28 PM | #3327
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric
What a load of horse **** Eric. There was a population problem with people on MDN and Gav'Daragon. The pvp queues were always poor, they actually picked up quite a bit over the Double XP weekends.

Id rather wait for PVP queues than try to PVP on increased latency. I test on your PTR. I know how bad the gameplay experience is at 200+ms latency.

Some people might have higher latency, your a freaking ball of hutt slime musco. Act like your doing us a favour while holding the knife behind your back.

I want my money back. Good riddance.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Aurojiin
03.25.2013 , 05:38 PM | #3328
Quote: Originally Posted by Yndras View Post
Some people might have higher latency, your a freaking ball of hutt slime musco. Act like your doing us a favour while holding the knife behind your back.
To be fair, he's just the messenger. He likely had no involvement in making the decision; ultimately some accountant/manager has decided we're not financially viable and now his job is to try and put enough spin on it that it sounds like a positive outcome while taking the brunt of the abuse.

My sympathies, Eric ... your job sucks
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

Elysiah
03.25.2013 , 05:41 PM | #3329
Quote: Originally Posted by jackdaley View Post
To all the people ************ about ping and latency, seriously get over it!

I assume most of you guys have played WoW or some other AAA MMO in which they have Oceanic/Asian servers (that are actually based in the US) you most likely enjoyed that experience enough to venture out into other MMOs (like SWTOR, or you are just a die hard Star Wars fan) and you would know that the ping is roughly 150-250 depending on where ur IP is based so basically this is what ur saying "OMG IM QUITTING BECAUSE I WILL HAVE 0.2 SECONDS LAG".

Now I know this isn't the most ideal solution but it;s better than playing on a ghost town server I have toons on all 3 and none of them are what I would call healthy the only one decent enough is Dalborra and that's okish but it's losing players weekly, I also have toons on The Harbinger and that population is booming and im looking forward too it I would've preferred free transfers to where ever we want and have all my toons on the one server but they are bringing it in later so I can wait.

Now my Rebuttal to everything you guys say is this..

This Thread Was Made to Address The Population Issues on The APAC Servers
it wasnt about ping or playstyle it was about low population and how it's affecting our experience now im not defending EAWARE at all especially after their stall tactics abnd leaving us in the dark but they have atleast brought us a solution to FIX THE POPULATION ISSUE (and like eric stated before it wasnt the solution everybody wanted but it's atleast a solution) so if you guys unsub and not play (which i doubt most of you will) then go right ahead but I can guarantee that the majority of you will come back because you guys have been up in arms about this is which tells me you enjoy the game.

Edir: TL;DR Population issue > Ping and Timezone Issue

So guys just be thankful they've got something in plan to improve our playing experience and he people that want to QQ you won't be missed
Exactly dude, I'd rather play on a server that has people and suffer a ping increase. To all the people saying "**** this I'm unsubbing, why are you still here posting on the forums? If "this is the last straw" there's no need to stay and whinge. Sure merging apac servers would have been good but it's not the end if the world. At least now I can play my mains on a server that has people. Good post jack xD

scaramunja
03.25.2013 , 05:45 PM | #3330
1. I think we have been 'rationalised'.

2. For the population, EA/BW probably just weren't seeing the profit margin. How many sub players are we in total in Oceanic? 5000? I dont know. It just wasn't worth it for them.

3. To my co-players on MDN, particularly the PVP'ers I express my condolescences. I didnt PVP at all, I only really raid and Ill have a go at it on Bastion and see how it pans out.

4. For me there is an upside. I was *VERY CONCERNED* about the size and quality of the community on MDN and with greater depth of community on Bastion I will in fact get one aspect of play that I sought - more social and raid options. That said, the time zone difference may be a significant to very significant negative factor and 250+ms may be a negative (though WoW seemed ok)

5. Would have preferred a single server for Oceanic but I think there are substantial obstacles in the Aus hosting space for EA SWTOR servers so I am not really surprised.

6. Personally I would have preferred a move to a PVE server aswell as PVP just never pumped my gnads over the time Ive played it in SWTOR.

All in all, this is simply a 'side-grade' movement for me. It looks like the cons will weight pretty much equally against the pros. Ill see how I feel 3 months after the merge. Time zone and lag will potentially be the new issues.
There are no lightside zabrak avatars

Majic, Shadow