Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.22.2013 , 01:10 AM | #621
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Just like SWTOR.
I can buy coins with in-game credits in TOR? Where? Because that would solve all the problems
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

Aumeer's Avatar


Aumeer
03.22.2013 , 01:10 AM | #622
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
No, I'm not.
You do not know what it entails, the charging could well be for new styles, and what is currently in the character creator could be free.
You are kidding right? You are a troll?
Aumeer of Bloodfin

WRATH HQ|WRATH|WRATH Site

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.22.2013 , 01:11 AM | #623
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
All I'm saying is that the GTN nor the complimentary coins should ever be used as an excuse to allow the core game to starve. Precious little isn't earmarked for the CM, these days. It has become a focal point of the game because of justifications like these instead of a supplemental system.
The thing you're failing to take into account is that, for the most part and certainly recently, cartel items are created for the cartel market by a dedicated team who makes things for it. The team is funded by sales of cartel market items. It's doubtful we would be getting as many new vanity items if they weren't being purchased with real money.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.22.2013 , 01:12 AM | #624
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
No, I'm not.
You do not know what it entails, the charging could well be for new styles, and what is currently in the character creator could be free.
If that was the case they wouldve already stated it, as it stands this is a PR nightmare for them and stating such a thing would have cleared the air. Instead they gave another reply justifying their choice

No, their current aim is to charge or else they wouldve said so to avoid these threads
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.22.2013 , 01:12 AM | #625
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
I can buy coins with in-game credits in TOR? Where? Because that would solve all the problems
No, you can buy the items directly and circumvent the need for coins.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.22.2013 , 01:13 AM | #626
So, yeah.

I think they could do this in a way that makes subscribers happy while still making money from the cartel market.
Could.

But without knowing exactly how it will all work, it's hard for me to say. Would it be a thing where it basically brings the character creation screen back up, or will it be a totally different interface, a place you can actually go to? Would they sell "recustomization tokens" that you could redeem at these places?

If there were different levels of tokens that they sold that did different levels of customization, they could do something like have certain kinds of tokens available from the security key vendor, the CE/VIP vendors. For just the more basic things. Then for more complex things like body shape, tattoos, scars, gender/species change, those could be CM exclusives.

I'm just trying to think of ideas here

Or like I said before, give subscribers some ways to *earn* ccs in game (beyond the achievements), even if small amounts.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Mowermanx's Avatar


Mowermanx
03.22.2013 , 01:14 AM | #627
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
If that was the case they wouldve already stated it, as it stands this is a PR nightmare for them and stating such a thing would have cleared the air. Instead they gave another reply justifying their choice

No, their current aim is to charge or else they wouldve said so to avoid these threads
You dont know that.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
03.22.2013 , 01:16 AM | #628
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
You've made a unique point here I think. The CM hasn't really before offered an exclusive feature. This is mildly concerning to me. If, say, pazaak(I actaully prefer sabacc) or swoop racing are considered non-game impacting features, they could potentially be implemented through the CM. Though even if they did so, it would not be enough to make me quit, I would view such a decision very negatively.
This is something that I harped on quite a bit back when the free-to-play model was first announced. In order to be a well-received and well-used system, the Cartel Market needs to be a supplemental system and not the focus of the game. It should compliment gameplay, provide an alternative method for unlocking certain things, but as soon as exclusive content comes to it, that does not bode well for the reception and longevity of such a system.

For example, I play MMOs with a decent number of people. We simply don't LotRO because it has integrated itself so tightly with it's in-game store. Content that was available in the core game at release is no longer available, even as a subscriber, because everything has been partitioned and gated by their store. So we don't bother, even though it is still my personal favourite MMO. I don't play it simply because the focus of the game is unlocking through the store rather than through the game. And as a requirement, not as an alternative.

SW:TOR is showing early signs of heading down that path.

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
03.22.2013 , 01:17 AM | #629
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
All I'm saying is that the GTN nor the complimentary coins should ever be used as an excuse to allow the core game to starve. Precious little isn't earmarked for the CM, these days. It has become a focal point of the game because of justifications like these instead of a supplemental system.
I think we have yet to see the promised dividends because of content lead times and integration time regarding the hiring of new employees(pretty much the only resource increase that will substantially change a game development team's rate of progress).

The CM is obviously getting quite a lot of resources, but so far its been things that can be done rather quickly(lots and lots of reskins and duplicate items). Creating a few dozen items will always be faster and easier than creating a new operation or warzone.

I think we'll only really have a clear view on where the game is going a few months after RoTHC. With the news largely being centered around the expac, the team hasn't given us as much knowledge about future content as we are used to(usually we know 6-8 months in advance, examples being heroic space missions, every operation thus far, Cathar, Makeb itself, HK-51 Hypergates, etc.). Whereas post RoTHC, we don't have the foggiest idea what 2.1 will be.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
03.22.2013 , 01:18 AM | #630
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
The thing you're failing to take into account is that, for the most part and certainly recently, cartel items are created for the cartel market by a dedicated team who makes things for it. The team is funded by sales of cartel market items. It's doubtful we would be getting as many new vanity items if they weren't being purchased with real money.
You act as if that's a good thing. Why shouldn't some, or even the majority, of these resources be used to strengthen the core game instead of more simplistic cash-grabs?