Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

State of the Game #3

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthVengeant's Avatar


DarthVengeant
03.21.2013 , 07:50 PM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by bryceman View Post
A couple things:
gotten to the point where you can just buy everything you need instead of earning it.
Why do you care if someone buys something instead of earning it? It's their game, not yours., You don't dictate how others play or earn in their game. If you want to take to time to earn it, go ahead. But don't get all elitist and think only YOUR way of doing things matters. Mentalities like that are what ruins gaming.

dsapp's Avatar


dsapp
03.21.2013 , 07:52 PM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
Why do you care if someone buys something instead of earning it? It's their game, not yours., You don't dictate how others play or earn in their game. If you want to take to time to earn it, go ahead. But don't get all elitist and think only YOUR way of doing things matters. Mentalities like that are what ruins gaming.
You mean mentalities like yours which lead to Pay 2 Win?

DeltaCharlieTwo's Avatar


DeltaCharlieTwo
03.21.2013 , 08:05 PM | #313
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwipe View Post
Barbershop sounds exciting and cathar!
second, I also hope they add in new hair styles (and other things to customize your look), I'd really love it if they added in longer hair too.
I hurt you to death!

WorldSecurities's Avatar


WorldSecurities
03.21.2013 , 08:16 PM | #314
SWTOR is a great game, and a timeline for character transfers would be a nice additional touch.

Which would be a good distraction, given the timing of this "State of the Game" announcement.


Electronic Arts CEO to Resign
The Wall Street Journal
March 18, 2013
"More dramatic, however, has been the challenges it faced with its online game, "Star Wars: The Old Republic." The game, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make over the period of five years, was built to be a competitor to Activision Blizzard Inc.'s ATVI -1.12% popular "World of Warcraft" online subscription game. Activision has said that game, along with its "Call of Duty" war-simulation game series and its "Skylanders" toy game franchise, make up a significant portion of the company's revenue and profit.

But "Star Wars" didn't capture gamers fast enough. EA executives had said it needed 500,000 subscribers to be profitable and one million to make it a "good investment." The game attracted 1.7 million active players in its first month, but saw subscriber numbers shrink as months went on. EA stopped reporting the number of subscribers the game had and changed it from requiring a subscription to offering it as a "free-to-play" title, charging customers for items such as vehicles, boots and armor within the game."

John Riccitiello Steps Down As EA CEO - Why, And What Now?
Forbes
March 18, 2013
"Riccitiello’s time at EA, on a corporate level, involved significant acquisitions – notably Bioware and Pandemic Studios for $775 million"
"major, ambitious purchases intended to position EA as a leader in previously underexploited areas – mobile and social gaming, but also the MMO market"
"Along with BioWare’s role-playing games expertise, they were assigned the task of taking the money-spinning Star Wars IP and creating a successful MMORPG."
"The Old Republic, created at huge cost, launched to considerable fanfare in late 2011, but could not sustain its subscription-only model and, although profitable, is now largely free-to-play"
"a growing chorus of dissent was growing regarding EA’s relationship with its studios and business practices."
"Consumerist’s “Worst Company of 2012″ award – were possibly taken more seriously on Web Street than Wall Street. However, it certainly defined a narrative for criticism of Riccitiello and his company: that EA, despite his assertion when returning as CEO that it would respect studio autonomy, was pushing BioWare to simplify its game style, to work to the level of sophistication of games consoles rather than PCs, to build in multiplayer (which would become unusable if and when EA shut down the servers) and cash shops and to focus on DLC as a way to spread the work of recouping development costs."
"The hope that Riccitiello’s departure will usher in a golden age of studio independence and a return to the former glories of Maxis, BioWare et al may yet prove justified."

Electronic Arts stock falls after departure of CEO Riccitiello
The Los Angeles Times
March 19, 2013
"Riccitiello "never got enough credit" for cutting 25% of its development base. Despite restructurings, reorganizations and studio closures, EA still is in search of the one thing that will lift its margins -- new hits, he observed.

"That is what has given us low confidence," Wilson wrote. "Because it is hard to cut your way to better games.""

Electronic Arts Chief Resigns
The New York Times
March 18, 2013
"The chief executive of Electronic Arts resigned on Monday, a victim of a troubled environment for the big video game companies as well as of internal missteps."

4 moves Electronic Arts must make now
March 20, 2013
Fortune
"2. Get your act together."
"4. Spend less, innovate more."
"Instead of stuffing its release schedule with releases and rushing development, focus on product. Yes it's a tired adage, but quality over quantity."

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
03.21.2013 , 08:17 PM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonoku View Post
They figure its important that it comes with customization because some people want to change their current character species to cathar.
Well, obviously. But what of existing species? I doubt it took over a year a piece to develop. And for the initial species, they had initial hurdles to overcome that shouldn't be present, now.

Scorpiooooo's Avatar


Scorpiooooo
03.21.2013 , 08:17 PM | #316
Quote:
And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.
For **** sake. The Barbershop thing is great, but using dam Cartel Coins? Why the hell am I subscribing if I can't get unlimited access to all options in the game? Can this just be a Legacy Unlock or something for subscribers? I understand that as a subscriber we get monthly cartel coin allowance - but if every little thing in the game gets turned into a Cartel Market only priority, then just can the subscription model and go full Pay-To-Win, rather than sitting somewhere in the middle. Just pisses me off.

To quote one Lando Calrissian "This deal is getting worse all the time"
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

Polymerize's Avatar


Polymerize
03.21.2013 , 08:53 PM | #317
Character Transfers.

Please stay on topic, people. Discuss something important and stop catering to SWTOR's barbershop bull. Discussing and paying into this **** just promotes these useless updates.

Thank you!

mrObtuse's Avatar


mrObtuse
03.21.2013 , 09:07 PM | #318
hey guys, i support you, subscribe and have spent more money on cartel coins since free to play came out, one $20 pack and one $40, out of support. I still have the coins, don't know what to use them on.


it's one of my favorite games ever.


now for my feedback: why is this now another feature that i am sure we have asked for, just not too extremely, and nothing for transfers or legacy consolidation so we can play with who we want to play with?

NwahsNirom's Avatar


NwahsNirom
03.21.2013 , 09:17 PM | #319
Sorry if this was already addressed. Can anyone please PM me, or can a Yellow name please comment, on if this will include paid character name changes and gender changes of characters? I would be interested in changing the species, name, and gender of my Jedi Sage that I currently have.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website

Ebon Hawk | Guild Leader | PvE, PvP, GSF Guild
3/5 HM ToS, 2/5 HM Rav, 4/5 NiM TFB, 6/7 NiM S&V, 1/5 NiM DF

BadOrb's Avatar


BadOrb
03.21.2013 , 09:55 PM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Hey, cheers BadOrb. Not twisting anything. I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations. My "expectation" was 6-week targets (because that's what they said it would be), to which I'd assume some would slip a week or 2 (hence 8). Now I'm being told their target is 8-weeks...In an attempt to once again remain realistic, I'll assume most will slip a week or 2 to where 9-10 weeks becomes the new norm. Hopefully I'm wrong...but I doubt I am and I'll bet you in-game creds we never see 6 again.
Ah I get you now sorry for the late reply , I was on Quesh for 3 and a half hours. Yeah I guess it has gone from 4 weeks to 8 weeks , but that has been the case for a few months really. Still lets hope it doesn't slip more like you say 8-9 weeks between updates , sorry guys its now guaranteed every 10 weeks , i hope you are wrong , or your prediction is wrong.

Hmmmm , well I want a new planet every year at least or i will be bored , I'm not demanding just stating a fact

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12