Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[OoC] Why grief roleplayers?

Quendishir
03.09.2013 , 02:54 AM | #1
Since joining the game a few months ago, one thing I've noticed is the constant harassment of roleplayers. In general, there seems to be no way to prevent this or get around it; in fact, Bioware seems to ignore such things. While we can be ignored, we cannot ignore those who continue to insult and degrade us because we want to roleplay on roleplaying servers.

I'm on Begeren Colony. One Imperial-side guild is allegedly responsible for causing a roleplaying guild to break-up, unable to deal with the constant harassment of its members (once again, I'm going by what I've heard, not what I've seen). Even if that turns out not to be true, I can quote a guild leader on the Republic-side: "We are going to force the roleplayers off our server." And they're trying to.

Roleplayers can't catch a break. We ignore them, but the standard emotes break through the ignore, allowing them to spam /dance, /slap, and other emotes. With other items available to them as well (such as the disco ball), they are able to annoy the roleplayers with impunity. Reporting them seems to do nothing: Bioware gives the usual canned responses promising to "look into it", but there is no relief. They are still there, doing everything they were reported for day after day.

Public RP is damn-near impossible on the stations because of griefers. Roleplayers, in order to keep their on-server communities going need a way to be able to meet and have fun. This is a hobby, but it is one that is being denied to us many times by people who lack social etiquette. If we were to go into their raids and constantly mess up the pulls, or cause wipes, they have a remedy. They can kick us and ban us from raids. They can ban us from rated warzones, or from their premade parties.

Ignore needs to be fixed. The overworld items need to be fixed, so that ignoring a person prevents their items from being used to harass people. World of Warcraft, Aion, and Rift--among others--have prevented griefers from being able to harass people ho have ignored them through emotes. The amount of items that are available for overworld griefing is negligible, but the amount on SWTOR exceeds it.

If Bioware will not respond and help us, then what is left for us? Should we stop roleplaying altogether?

I'd like to know if similar things are happening on other servers, or if it's just mine.

legolegion
03.09.2013 , 02:56 AM | #2
simple answer report, then report again and again till they do some thing or threaten to stop playing onmass

Quendishir
03.09.2013 , 08:00 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
simple answer report, then report again and again till they do some thing or threaten to stop playing onmass
Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results each time. Reporting the players apparently does nothing, even when there six or more reports for the incident each time.

legolegion
03.10.2013 , 03:11 AM | #4
then obvoiuly do second part see what bioware do with having 10-20 people threaten to quit over one person

kirorx
03.11.2013 , 09:06 AM | #5
I dont see many griefers on Ebon Hawk and when they do people get on them about this being an RP server.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

Jenzali
03.11.2013 , 02:33 PM | #6
Yup, Ebon Hawk has an immensely RP-friendly environment.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

CosmicKat
03.11.2013 , 02:40 PM | #7
Sadly, the server you are on this issue.

Ebon Hawk is far better for RP. It's far from great, but the 90% non-roleplayers that are on it aren't usually obnoxiously anti-RP.

Pistols-GS
03.11.2013 , 03:54 PM | #8
Every gameplay option gets griefed, it's not isolated to roleplayers.
Pistols Shield

<S Key To Victory>

Darth_Casus
03.21.2013 , 04:19 PM | #9
I've been on Begeren Colony since Day 1 of pre-launch and I've seen the quality of Role Play degrade so far down the pit that it disgusts me. I strongly suggest that Bioware implement a server transfer system into place that players are able to get their characters off and into a better environment for their style of play. I am certainly not at all going to start a new character on a different server with the amount of time and money I have put into all the characters I have developed on my current server. I have on many occasions sent in multiple reports in regards to trolls and greifing attempts on me and my guild members, but they are never once answered. This has caused myself and my guild to go inactive for a couple months to wait out this sudden increase in immature activity, but unfortunately I have not seen a single improvement from when we stopped playing.
The Black Knights: Dark Lord
The Black Knights Website
"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."

FreePrometheus
03.26.2013 , 06:52 AM | #10
I haven't seen whole groups or Guilds trying to disrupt roleplay, but i have seen my fair share of individuals who do much of the above described in OP's post. What i cant understand is why these people are on an RP server if they dont want to roleplay at all, or just get on with their characters in an easy going environment (the two main types of people i see on RP servers being Roleplayers and people who only want to do their class storylines and such).

I feel that this issue is just another that adds to my own feeling that, at least personally, roleplayers are pretty neglected on SWTOR. There are a ton of options for PVE and PVP but what do we get? As OP said, we dont even have the capability of completely blocking out people trying to annoy us. LIke PVP'ers do who can just kick someone in WZ's and such. And where is our content? Other than a few new emotes (which are lacking in charm). Roleplaying in this game can be, and is enjoyable. But we do seem to be brushed under the carpet somewhat.

Thats my view, anyway

Further to that, and i truly hate to say this as i am sure it is not the case everywhere, ever since F2P the RP servers seem to have become swarmed with more and more of these people who have no wish to roleplay or mind their own business. I have nothing against F2P as it HAS bought new roleplayers to the table. But for the most part, all we get is trolls and more trolls.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda