Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

CourtneyWoods

I agree that it should just be one rep, but support the current plan if it is being embraced by other customers.

There are very few of these "other" customers, however. They're being milked dry, sure, but the system could have rewarded minimal, moderate and excessive spenders instead of solely the latter. And it could have generated a little love from the playerbase because of that.

It's simply a wasted opportunity to establish a positive relationship with the playerbase. Nearly everything BioWare has done regarding the free-to-play model has been creating an antagonistic relationship with the playerbase. They ask themselves, "How much can we coerce a players to pay $$$ for X feature before they are instead turned off of the game?" They've explored that boundary with many things, from quest rewards to the cargo hold to species selection to character limits to quickslots.

Fortunately, BioWare has shown that it is willing to backslide on its more egregious offenses. Hopefully, this is one of those issues. Too bad the good will it could have garnered is already lost.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure about that? I think they have enough data to support implementing the system that they chose. I mean, they don't pull these things out of thin air. :t_confused:

I'm sure targeting those few (relative to the majority of the playerbase) is quite profitable for them. I just keep a hopeless hope that, maybe, just maybe, EA could do something that actually engenders faith in their games. They don't need to stop worrying about the bottomline, but the pursuit of profit is not as mutually exclusive to all other objectives a publisher may have.

So having bought one of these packs on a low level alt I received Cartel Market Certificate. It is bound to the character. Why are they not bound to legacy (BOL) so we can pick and choose which characters we want the resale items on or will the resale items be BOL?

I wanted to pop in and give an update on a few minor changes coming to the Cartel Market Reputation system. I know these things will not address all of your concerns but as always, keep your feedback coming. We are continuing to look at ways to improve the system.

• Coming in Game Update 1.7.3 Cartel Market Certificates will now be bind on legacy (as with any other timing announcement this is subject to change).
  • We feel that a frustration point for some players is that the Contraband Resale Corporation is that it appears too tightly tied to the rest of the Organizations you see in the Reputation system. Sometime in the future, (no exact timing yet) we are going to move all Cartel Market Reputations to their own tab within the Legacy UI.

As always, keep the feedback coming. We are constantly exploring new ways to improve on the Cartel Market Reputation system.

-eric

just popping this in here in case someone missed it .

-a step in the right direction if you ask me , but i agree ..adding more of these reputations are a bad idea...one single bar to fill up and get benefits from is enough.

-its a nice way to reward your cartel pack purchasers / customers and get people to chuck some more cash in to the cartel market, as long as the rewards in-game are equally exciting and worth getting...witch is a hard balance to pull off) i have nothing against it.

just please ...don't add more of them, and never combine game systems with the cartel market again...ever :rak_03:

PS: Eric and the community team are really stepping up ..keep up the good work folks!

This game needs to work on its communication with the fan base :p and you guys have been doing a great job since you "took over", keep it up and may the force be with you.

Edited by da_zone

Just wanted to add my two cents that as a subscriber I think the new cartel rep is horrible. Assuming you were very lucky and get the purple rep each time it would require roughly 48 packs to reach max rep. This means two of the hypercrate packs. As I get 600 CC a month this would take me roughly 1 1/2 years to complete if I put my CC towards only those packs. Am I missing something?

Just wanted to add my two cents that as a subscriber I think the new cartel rep is horrible. Assuming you were very lucky and get the purple rep each time it would require roughly 48 packs to reach max rep. This means two of the hypercrate packs. As I get 600 CC a month this would take me roughly 1 1/2 years to complete if I put my CC towards only those packs. Am I missing something?

$$$$$

Yep, you are.

just popping this in here in case someone missed it .

-a step in the right direction if you ask me , but i agree ..adding more of these reputations are a bad idea...one single bar to fill up and get benefits from is enough.

-its a nice way to reward your cartel pack purchasers / customers and get people to chuck some more cash in to the cartel market, as long as the rewards in-game are equally exciting and worth getting...witch is a hard balance to pull off) i have nothing against it.

just please ...don't add more of them, and never combine game systems with the cartel market again...ever :rak_03:

PS: Eric and the community team are really stepping up ..keep up the good work folks!

This game needs to work on its communication with the fan base :p and you guys have been doing a great job since you "took over", keep it up and may the force be with you.

Those changes are fantastic. It would be great if we could sell the certificates on the GTN, but this solution makes plenty of sense for a lot of people.

I think making the cartel tab separate from the other reps should satisfy the so-called "completionists," too. Now it will only be important to those who value the CM.

Looks like everyone wins with these solutions.

Id say along side the packs, add a few dailey quests were us players can earn some rep not just by buying it. But since there needs to be money made make it so the quests can only get you so far or you can only do them a limited number of times.

Id say along side the packs, add a few dailey quests were us players can earn some rep not just by buying it. But since there needs to be money made make it so the quests can only get you so far or you can only do them a limited number of times.

Those quests already exist. Run dailies and buy packs off the GTN. Poof. Quest for rep.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Assuming an average of 400 rep per pack (270 greens, 1440 purples, some distribution therein), it costs approx $400 to max this reputation.

After paying $400, either personally or through credits to people who paid some portion of that directly to the CM, this reputation still requires that you earned enough random BoP (soon to be BoL) certificates to purchase what you want. These cannot be traded, and despite the reputation being by Legacy, and the items being (soon) BoL, you still need to personally open yet more if you want the items (mount, armor, pet, etc) on more than one character in the Legacy.

This requirement for certificates when the reputation already requires using BoP trophies seems excessive, almost abusive.

for the contraband rep?

Yes. You use the credits you get for dailies to buy cartel packs from the GTN. When you open the packs you will find the rep items inside. You get the rep items no matter how you purchase the packs.

What is the Cartel Market Reputation System?

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs within a Shipment. Each Shipment will have its own Reputation track.

Lol, does this mean what I think it does? You're going to have even more of these 'Cartel only' Reputations in future Shipments??????

Have you guys been reading the feedback on this by any chance?

The first one wasn't overly popular and it was released yesterday, you're going to have more in the future? What future ingame reputation systems will subscribers get?

There needs to be a subscriber based reputation system, and all will be well. As long as it offers some nice looking gear pieces, maybe a mount and a pet, everyone will be happy again. Every month you are subscribed, you receive a rep trophy, the longer your subscription pass (ie, month to month, 3 month or 6 month) the bigger the reward.

There needs to be a subscriber based reputation system, and all will be well. As long as it offers some nice looking gear pieces, maybe a mount and a pet, everyone will be happy again. Every month you are subscribed, you receive a rep trophy, the longer your subscription pass (ie, month to month, 3 month or 6 month) the bigger the reward.

^^^^^^

This!

• 5 months later...

I totally agrre with wath most players have said before me...

It's way to expensive to reach the legend status at contraband resale and now the bounty hunter supply.

However i do think it's a great idea to make people be able to buy some of the ultra-rare stuff from previous packs.

So i kinda have mixed feelings about this...

Perhaps if you'd lower the rating required to be able to buy some items like the throne or revan's mask to hero rating, it might be more succesfull?

I totally agrre with wath most players have said before me...

It's way to expensive to reach the legend status at contraband resale and now the bounty hunter supply.

However i do think it's a great idea to make people be able to buy some of the ultra-rare stuff from previous packs.

So i kinda have mixed feelings about this...

Perhaps if you'd lower the rating required to be able to buy some items like the throne or revan's mask to hero rating, it might be more succesfull?

Are you trying to get necro reputation points?

Also, it doesn't need to be lowered. If you care enough, you buy the packs. If you don't, you don't get the items. It's so simple, why do we get so many posts like this? Surely this can't be the only example in your life where you want something and have to decide if it's worth the money to you? Do you haggle in McDonald's?

• 1 year later...
Please for the love of God get rid of the rep requirements on the items in the Cartel vendor area. I've accumulated enough cartel market certs to get gear/items I want from the vendors but can't purchase them since I don't have the proper level of reputation. This is friggen frustrating as a subscriber to your game when I am stone walled w/o the opportunity to earn the rep via quests/mob kills, and can only earn it if I spend more money on the packs which don't even give a set amount of rep per pack. It's been over a year since reputations like Contraband Resale Corp have been around, please consider removing those reputation requirements after a given amount of time. This milking me for every rl dollar you can makes this game a chore and no longer fun.