Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help with Xeno as a tank

Aurojiin
03.20.2013 , 02:48 PM | #11
You can also have a Sorc/Sage Extricate/Rescue the tank to a pillar for Thermal, or if it's a Jugg/Guardian they can intercede to ranged.

There's really a ridiculous number of options ultimately.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

ebado
03.20.2013 , 02:59 PM | #12
Yeah, there shouldn't be an issue surviving thermal tolerance if you're approaching it correctly. I think it's a bit overblown in this thread. As long as the other tank taunts the damage is healable. Maybe your healers weren't aware of what was happening. I've seen one tank die to it, and that was during the second day of the first event cycle. Haven't seen anybody die to it since, whether healing, tanking or DPSing it.
kolto and corrosives
window legacy - the bastion

jasonthelamb
03.21.2013 , 07:40 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Nope.

Good healers and the right defensive cooldowns, and it's not necessary to LOS. It may be helpful, but it's not strictly necessary.
But it makes it easier for the healers. If you take the full thermal tolerance you're a bad tank, as a tank you should do anything to save HP and make it easier for healers.

SalBasss
03.21.2013 , 09:37 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
But it makes it easier for the healers. If you take the full thermal tolerance you're a bad tank, as a tank you should do anything to save HP and make it easier for healers.
Agree. I understand that good groups can survive it, but ultimately it's easier just to LOS, via rescue if possible.
Shadowlands

JimmyTheCannon
03.21.2013 , 04:07 PM | #15
Unfortunately being able to LOS it depends largely on group composition. I'm going to try to start working in LOSing via Intercede in our future runs.

grallmate
03.21.2013 , 04:09 PM | #16
It depends what type of tank you are. As a Shadow you can solo tank this quite easily, when he cast Thermal Tolerance (TT) you Force Cloak -> taunt. That interrupts the cast, and gets him back with 1 stack of increased damage. This isn't required in SM but works and can be practiced there. First lot of adds can be AoEd down easily if you pop Deflection while tanking them. When the second lot of adds appear have a DPS or offtank kite them while you pull out 1 at a time with taunt. I like to use a Vanguard DPS for this since Mortar Volley and the target AoE taunt make it really easy to kite them.

As a Guardian or Vanguard you need another solution to TT. After a bit of practice you can still solo tank it as one of these classes but you need to know when TT is coming so you can preemptively get to a pillar and LOS as soon as it channels. Too slow and you end up with multiple stacks making it a lot harder, too soon and he does a raid wide heavy hitting AoE. Alternatively you use 2 tanks, and when TT starts the active tank pops a CD (or 2), is spam healed by the healers and the second tank picks up Xeno. It's also advisable to combine this with a LOS to break the channel early. If using 2 tanks, the tank with the debuff kites the second adds while the other tank pulls out 1 at a time. The first adds are tanked by the tank without the debuff.

Personally, I think Xeno is a really badly designed fight since it is VASTLY easier with a Shadow than either of the other 2. Seriously its not even in the same ballpark. Also 16m is noticeably easier than 8m with better rewards.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

HoboWithAStick
03.23.2013 , 04:05 PM | #17
Keep in mind this can be solo tanked with a sin tank on any difficutly, just stealth and insta taunt on the thermal tolerence. Should not get anymore then 1 or 2 stacks depending on how fast you are.

Edit, someone just said this.

DarthFamine
03.25.2013 , 05:30 AM | #18
ok we did the hard mode last night.

We had a shadow tank and a guardian on the boss
we had out least laggy sage setup to pull the shadow.

thermal cast starts
guardian takes boss
shadow burns cds and stealth
sage pulls
shadow hides behind pillar
stacks wear off shadow takes boss back

we tried just using two tanks but found that we just needed a third one for add kiting duty on that second set of adds.

That was what worked for us.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

Drakador
03.25.2013 , 10:02 AM | #19
Don't know why you guys are making such a fuzz about tolerance. When i tanked it with my sin it was rather simple. Main tank has aggro untill tolerance is being casted. Just before the cast is done the other tank taunts and keeps aggro untill stacks are cleared. 2nd group of adds (which is the one that really matters) just needs kiting.

Satedbuffalo
03.25.2013 , 12:11 PM | #20
I'm in the 'stand there and take it' camp. In my experience, every tank I've seen run for it has died and every tank who grins and bears it has survived. As both a healer and a tank, this option seems much more reliable.
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!