Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Now what is real balance?

starwarsmarsian
03.19.2013 , 06:14 AM | #1
So, at the end of SW Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, they said there was balance in the Force after all Sith were gone. However, Darth Revan says the Force is in balance when you find a path somewhere in the middle between Light and Dark. Now, what is REAL balance?
Horsan, level 50 Powertech

lokdron
03.19.2013 , 06:37 AM | #2
Lore disagrees with revan.

Revan is wrong. You know where that philosophy got him? He fell to the dark side again.

If you try and skim the line it just makes it easier for the dark side to tempt you. This is how the dark side acts.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

AlexDougherty
03.19.2013 , 06:40 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
So, at the end of SW Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, they said there was balance in the Force after all Sith were gone. However, Darth Revan says the Force is in balance when you find a path somewhere in the middle between Light and Dark. Now, what is REAL balance?
These are two different balances.

In RotJ the balance refered to is the balance of the force as a whole, where overall everything balances out, there may be pockets of darkside energy like the cave Yoda sends Luke into in Empire Strikes Back, but they are balanced out by the rest of the force.

Revan however was refering to a personal balance of the force, in this case you have a foot in both sides of the force, and can influence them both. This is a path for force users to eschew the extremes of either the darkside or the lightside, bringing personal balance, which they then impose on the galaxy. This view is generally considered to be non-canon, especially as Lucas himself decried it.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Hoech
03.19.2013 , 11:54 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
See... there is actually a pretty interesting point to be made here if you ignore alot of the EU stuff. If you take the movies at face value, and stand alone, then come the end of RotJ there truly is balance. Consider that Luke never truly completed his training and therefore isn't a true Jedi. That leaves him as a Hero (granted a force sensitive one) using the teachings of the Jedi to accomplish a goal. With Vader and the Emperor dead the Sith order is gone. With Obi-wan and Yoda dead the Jedi order is gone. A.K.A Balance.

On a side note... this scenario also means Anakin did fulfill the prophecy, seeing as Vader's suicide/murder of the Emperor redeemed him to be Anakin once more.

Kaedusz
03.19.2013 , 11:59 AM | #5
Read the Darth Plagueis novel and you will find out what restoring the force back into balance is all about.

Wolfninjajedi
03.19.2013 , 12:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoech View Post
See... there is actually a pretty interesting point to be made here if you ignore alot of the EU stuff. If you take the movies at face value, and stand alone, then come the end of RotJ there truly is balance. Consider that Luke never truly completed his training and therefore isn't a true Jedi. That leaves him as a Hero (granted a force sensitive one) using the teachings of the Jedi to accomplish a goal. With Vader and the Emperor dead the Sith order is gone. With Obi-wan and Yoda dead the Jedi order is gone. A.K.A Balance.

On a side note... this scenario also means Anakin did fulfill the prophecy, seeing as Vader's suicide/murder of the Emperor redeemed him to be Anakin once more.
Wrong, Luke was a fully trained Jedi Knight in ROTJ. His final task was just facing Vader, which he did to complete in fully becoming a Jedi in both title and skill. Despite what a lot of people think, Luke wasn't ill trained or ill skilled.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

BlazingShadow
03.19.2013 , 12:32 PM | #7
balance as it pertains to the prophecy of the force is when both fonts of power, dark and light, are humbled and given a new beginning.

Destroying the jedi was necessary. Destroying the two head Sith Lords, also necessary. These two massive organizations of power had to be brought down if there was to be balance in the force, and this was done: In the end, there was the dark, the light, and only few champions (relatively speaking) for either side. That is balance.

Remember, the prophecy is to bring balance to the force, not destroy the Sith. There's a huge difference between the two, and that is demonstrated even in TCW with the episodes of Mortis.

It doesn't matter what Lucas says, really. Any balance in any context of ANY movie or any real life scenario is a juggle of good and bad, luxury and necessity, pride and humility, etcetera. Balance is, indeed, a juggle between the dark and the light, not absolute prevalence of the light.

Spartanik
03.21.2013 , 01:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
Lore disagrees with revan.

Revan is wrong. You know where that philosophy got him? He fell to the dark side again.

If you try and skim the line it just makes it easier for the dark side to tempt you. This is how the dark side acts.
I dont think you understand what revan meant.
But from a lore perspective i cant say is totaly wrong, it depends how you look at it.
watch the mortis episodes of the clone wars.
Quote:
Wrong, Luke was a fully trained Jedi Knight in ROTJ. His final task was just facing Vader, which he did to complete in fully becoming a Jedi in both title and skill. Despite what a lot of people think, Luke wasn't ill trained or ill sk
You cant blame people for that. Its what the supreme source of Lucas canon meaning the movies shows to the audience.

Quote:
Read the Darth Plagueis novel and you will find out what restoring the force back into balance is all about.
Yep this.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

Vyni
03.21.2013 , 01:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
Care to share what it said? I mean I wanna know what he said about it.

starwarsmarsian
03.22.2013 , 06:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Spartanik View Post
watch the mortis episodes of the clone wars.
I did. The idea of 3 Force gods annoyed the heck out of me and spoiled the whole greatness of the SW storyline in my opinion.
Horsan, level 50 Powertech