Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The time has come to revamp Civil War

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The time has come to revamp Civil War

ArchangelLBC
03.20.2013 , 10:44 PM | #11
In ranked it's definitely pretty awful because, as said, first person to a side node first wins and then it's a 20 minute slug fest at mid for no decision.

In normals it's ok.

I would say it should be like Novarre in that you NEED two turrets to do damage to the enemy ship but given the situation at mid that would just lead to infinite warzones.

Taking out the side speeders would actually be a good start to be honest. At least take out the one to the natural turret (Grass pub side, snow Imp Side). That might encourage more openings against off turrets.

Or just take them out completely.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

mrekxxx
03.21.2013 , 04:01 AM | #12
all maps are pretty awfull except Huttball ... they might develope only maps without guarding some stupid things like pillars, nodes etc ...

and if they help pugs and quitters, we need maps with longer time limit and different mechanic, something like some1 quit and i got backfilled = i can fight and change the result .... its very good in counter strike or teamfortress maps done ... you can change score and final result to the lastest seconds of the match ...

Banderal
03.21.2013 , 04:20 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TrigPt View Post
I've been on the winning side once when we needed a 3 cap to win. Only needed the triple cap for 20-30secs to get the lead as it was near the end of a close game and the opposition hadn't had time to get defenders in place.
I've also had a 3-cap-win in the same situation. They have to be so rare I wonder if it was the same game. But probably not. Pretty sure the one I was in one of my teammates ninja'd the node that they'd held forever, just about 3 seconds after we finally took mid back from them. Mine was on POT5, republic side.

DarthFamine
03.21.2013 , 04:39 AM | #14
I'm going to have to disagree

Last night I played in one of the best CW matches ever.

we lost, the other team had 20 points left.
real nail biter, it came right down to the wire and we made them work their butts off for that win.

yes there is a point of no return, and that is part of the charm of the WZ.

matches like that one make civil war my favorite WZ.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

JenseitsvonBose
03.21.2013 , 05:42 AM | #15
/signed
Jenseitsvonbose | Gunsmoke | Mcroyal
Shortbus - Resident Tendon Blaster - "What's a CC?"

foxmob
03.21.2013 , 05:44 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
In ranked it's definitely pretty awful because, as said, first person to a side node first wins and then it's a 20 minute slug fest at mid for no decision.

In normals it's ok..
i think exactly the opposite.

lol edit: I think exactly the same. dur.

every map in ranked play sucks. in hb (assuming you have the requisite comp), it comes down to throwing grenades in mid and holding off on scores until your shadow is ready to throw a grenade and pop resil. boring.

in nc, it comes down to who wins the race to mid and pops his grenades first. once mid is decided, it's game over. boring.

ahg is the worst of them all. spend 3-4 rounds standing outside the "hot box" trying to pull enemies out for focus fire. what could be a fun version of CW down to the wire becomes the biggest waste of time in pvp.

as already mentioned, cw comes down to who caps natural node first (must have combat trans + shadow sprint). then spend the rest of the wz tying up mid. there's literally one option: do we pull the goalie? and when?

regs, on the other hand, are not reduced to one lowsy strat, whether you use grenades, whether you have an exactly right comp, and they allow for comebacks.

I totally agree with op about CW, btw, it's stupid to spend half the wz already having lost cuz you need a 3-cap. a slight tweak in the rules and possibly elimination of the side speeders is all that is necessary to remedy the situation.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Chemic_al
03.21.2013 , 06:02 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
there was a short time during the 1.1 series of patches where there were no side speeders in A:CW. best matches ive been in for that warzone. they were much more tactical, and a lot less zergy
Or when the side speeders had a cooldown to activate them.

mattycutts
03.21.2013 , 06:32 AM | #18
as a pug pvper all time i find civil war the worse of all the matches. its the one map you see your team mates give up far faster and sit on the one cap turret we got which is very frustrating to those of us that try our best to get the win.

The way i would redesign it is:

take away side speeders.
place a wall near where u land that defenders in mid cnat see if you go left or right would give it a more tatic feel to it
make it so its two turrets to do damage (seen groups come back from what looked like certain defeat in a NC with 3% and win).

Nothing worse than sitting there knowing no matter what u do its aloss for sure and drags so long. At least in a bad huttball game its over in a blink of an eye.

Huttball / Voidstar i would say are my fav two. Civil war my least fav as a pug (99% of time in a pug CW theres quitters and leavers on empire side on my server).
RED ECLIPSE - Eternal Dawn (Rep) / The Deathbringers (emp)
(Ground & Space PVP only)
Empire - Quickblast / Quickstrike / Quickblow / Quickcast / Toretto
Republic - Quickblasts / Quickslam / Quickvolley
Former Baccas Blade / Nightmare Lands

Laforet
03.21.2013 , 06:33 AM | #19
Possible solution: as long as you hold one turret, every kill counts points towards depleting the enemies shields.

At least there would be a point to a mid fight then, to score kills even if you cant amass the zerg power for a full capture.

What bothers me in civil war is not fightning for 15 minutes in the middle, its the fact that you can fight 15 minutes, WIN the fight and still lose because they keep zerging the cap console and the other guy capped the turret 0.00001 seconds before us.
Believer - Seer - Fatman - RETIRED

Jkelectronet Poledancer new healstar inc.

LarryRow
03.21.2013 , 06:54 AM | #20
What about shortening the cap times, maybe just in ranked? Could work in Novare and/or Voidstar as well. Anything that encourages actually capturing and overturning objectives throughout a match has to be good, right?
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.