Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zionite
03.19.2013 , 09:07 PM | #1181
Since it was the only thing I hadn't tried, I uninstalled the game entirely and reinstalled it overnight from the download link.

Now I can't play at all. It simply crashes to desktop immediately after the launcher closes. I've read this is a common problem so I went through the steps to fix it and nothing has worked.

OwenBrooks
03.20.2013 , 01:09 AM | #1182
Zionite

Can you create your own thread on here and post up your dxdiag. is there a black screen when it tries to launch ?

System File Checker has said it could not repair files, perhaps running this again in safe mode may allow it to repair what windows files are corrupted.

Pompeia
03.20.2013 , 11:56 AM | #1183
1 - Red Eclipse
2 - Zevris, Morbidus, Varrot
3 - Random, crash may hapen almost 2x in a row.
4 - Crashed while riding my bike in Illum event area, and some time later crashed again after finishing all the quests and swaping to the other lvl 50. On Varrot it crashed while I went for a quick smoke, screen freezed (always does on this crashes that say swtor wanted Microsoft Visual ++ runtime to terminate on a unexpected way) and had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut down the program. I have windows 7 with all the updates up-to-date, including the optionals.

5 -

Spoiler

6 -

Spoiler

onagern
03.20.2013 , 05:17 PM | #1184
1. North America East
2. All
3. Every time it tries to start.
4. Opened a ticket #8026820 and followed those instructions.
5. 32-bit version is included.
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. This is indeed a crash to desktop.

Zionite
03.20.2013 , 06:07 PM | #1185
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Zionite

Can you create your own thread on here and post up your dxdiag. is there a black screen when it tries to launch ?

System File Checker has said it could not repair files, perhaps running this again in safe mode may allow it to repair what windows files are corrupted.
I'm pleased to report that I installed an old Windows XP 32bit I had lying around onto a second internal hard drive. I ran the launcher (no reinstall; just direct from my other drive's directory) and it everything worked perfectly, and the loaders seem less laggy. Thanks to your help I was able to diagnose the problem as my OS installation, or just Windows 7 64bit in general.

Not sure how I feel about XP in the long term, but at least I can play again. As for whether I still get the CTDs, only time will tell. Rest assured I'll be back to report any further issues.

OwenBrooks
03.21.2013 , 03:16 AM | #1186
Zionite, you will likely need to make this change if it starts to crash on 32bit after 1 to 2 hours

For Windows XP 32 Bit
Spoiler

BebeLeBozo
03.21.2013 , 12:39 PM | #1187
Maybe this will help track it down:
I've been having more crashes than ever. It really has increased during the Gree event. I usually play solo so what I really notice is that it has something to do with groups and changing instances. If either player has just grouped and someone in the group changed instances and you approach each other, it typically happens. It's not all the time but I have noticed the pattern and it happens too many times to be coincidental.

BTW I'm a software developer and I'm pretty goood at debugging so IMO this observation is very credible.

Uther_von_Hopf
03.21.2013 , 01:56 PM | #1188
1. Harbinger
2. all
3. once every 3-4 hours though time is not a factor, just on avg
4. crashes occur randomly, while traveling mostly occasionally during conversation scenes
5. DXDiag
Spoiler

6. NOTE: not every occurance shows up in reliablilty history, here are two
Spoiler

Zionite
03.21.2013 , 05:31 PM | #1189
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Zionite, you will likely need to make this change if it starts to crash on 32bit after 1 to 2 hours

For Windows XP 32 Bit
Spoiler
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that.

Just curious, are there options for 4gb or 8gb? Or does XP not have the capacity to fully allocate a 4gb stick?

OwenBrooks
03.21.2013 , 11:10 PM | #1190
ALL 32 bit OSs cannot utilize over 4Gb Ram

Read the below link it explains the differences between 32bit and 64bit and the Physical Ram limits including windows 8

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...78(VS.85).aspx