Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

islander
03.19.2013 , 01:16 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
There is that, too.
When they refused to retroactively penalize the valor 'exploiters' (using that term for no other reason then because it's being bandied about by the ragers here) for gaming the system (back when valor MATTERED), veterans all knew that IF it was determined this was not intended design, no one would be retroactively punished.

At the time, the valor fiasco was much more harmful to the gaming environment then this little soiree will be.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

islander
03.19.2013 , 01:18 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Taminy View Post
The dev just said it was not what they intended.
As of an hour ago. Unless you expect folks to read minds...

This simply means anyone who does it from this point forward - until it's patch fixed - is genuinely exploiting.

Kapono
03.19.2013 , 01:19 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
  • Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric

I almost never post, but I will now. This makes me sad. Making grinds longer won't extend the viability of this game. I wish I had had the time last weekend to get some characters to 50 (like the advertisement said we could).

I'm pretty tired of the playstyle where seeing another player kinda sucks.

Taminy
03.19.2013 , 01:20 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Easier still is to admit you forgot to set a toll and leave the bridge open.
True, but this is how most not game breaking, but not as intended issues are fixed if you're not new to MMOs. I remember way back in the day when an Everquest expansion came out, a bunch of the people in the supreme elite guilds would play 24/7 trying to get items or loot that they felt might be drop removed but not removed for players who had already looted said items.

It's typically how these things are handled

Taminy
03.19.2013 , 01:21 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
As of an hour ago. Unless you expect folks to read minds...

This simply means anyone who does it from this point forward - until it's patch fixed - is knowingly exploiting.
fixt.

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 01:22 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
A black-and-white perspective is lovely, as it exists only in your head. The world, on the other hand, is a world of greys.
The kind of thinking that lead to the three-fifths compromise.

(no I am not comparing this to slavery. But you don't get to win any argument you please by citing "grey area.")
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Wraiven
03.19.2013 , 01:22 PM | #147
Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
  • Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric
Thanks for contacting us and being informative. I am sure the community greatly appreciates your communication with us...as I know I sure do. Thanks again, Eric!
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kōn (Guardian) Krųll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xiõn (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Blackavaar
03.19.2013 , 01:23 PM | #148
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Yeah, he nailed it, except that he neglected to mention that this is the lazy, wishy washy, mamby pamby approach.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

islander
03.19.2013 , 01:23 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Taminy View Post
fixt.
I know it's bad when that's the best you got. You've lost twice now. Must make you angry.

Twin
03.19.2013 , 01:24 PM | #150
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
So just to be clear...intentionally using ingame mechanics in a way not intended by the devs, to gain personal advantage - is not considered sploiting then? Good to know.
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" – Abraham Lincoln