Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando - Which cell in PvP, armor or plasma

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Commando - Which cell in PvP, armor or plasma

Helig
03.19.2013 , 04:54 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post
Flexible is not the word I would use. Poor imitation of the VG Assault is better. OK, so that's more than a word.

The actual mobility between each build is relatively similar. With the only real difference is that Assault gets an extra instant attack in Incendiary Round. Which, due to its high ammo cost, its situational in it's use. Spam that a few times and you're out of ammo and just using Hammer Shot.
Disagree. VG Assault is a vastly different playstyle. It's heavy melee-range spike damage. Commando Assault is highly mobile 30-meter DoT/backloaded burst spec. Trying to play Commando assault as Vanguard assault is doomed to failure.

As far as I understand it, Commando Assault has a bigger emphasis on DoT damage and overall Tech damage, since there are a *lot* of easy-to-access tech crit talents. Inc round is your overtime skill, and you need it because you can't just burst stuff down, unless you overgear the enemy. You wear them down and finish them with relative impunity, because, unless they're chasing you specifically, they'll never target a LoS-dancing Commando.

Quote:
For the most part I agree. But I think gunnery has more mobility that what you are giving it credit for.

Both builds though suffer from the same basic flaws of being self rooting ranged classes that are extremely vulnerable to interrupts.
That's what Assault partly addresses. I can spend an entire match without standing still for over half a second (trigger FA to trigger HiB and proceed with running) and still do boatloads of damage. Naturally, Charged shots are pretty easy to sneak in when you have the openings, further increasing HiB output.

My problem with Commando Assault is the lack of a reliable slow/root, slow resource generation, combat system doesn't really synergize. It stacks, but it just doesn't feel streamlined.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

SlimsPicken
03.19.2013 , 09:55 AM | #12
commandos should be using the vanguard cell in pvp.

reroll.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

cashogy_reborn
03.19.2013 , 12:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
commandos should be using the vanguard cell in pvp.

reroll.
lol

there really is not any wiggle room for which cell/cylinder you choose. it is 100% dependent on which skill tree you spec into.

there was a brief time before 1.2, when rail shot resets were not tied to CGC, that i used HVGC as a Pyrotech for the extra armor pen. that was the only time i ever hit Thermal Det for >5k lol
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads