Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 12:51 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
We are not considering this an exploit......

...we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.
Me no get
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Keffeine
03.19.2013 , 12:51 PM | #112
Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
  • Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric
Aaaand there you go. The answer to the thread. Thanks Eric.

Keffeine
03.19.2013 , 12:53 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Me no get
I think the magic words were: "This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends."

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 12:53 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Me no get
He's basically saying "We don't consider it an exploit, because then we'd have to punish people for being inventive and creative beyond what we had perceived and anticipated. But, we also don't approve of bypassing the leveling process entirely, so we're negating this inventive side-step before the next Double XP weekend."

iimagiicii
03.19.2013 , 12:54 PM | #115
Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
  • Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric
I don't like this, I missed the double xp weekend grind and was looking forward to it this weekend.
Back and worse than ever
Cry'sta <Postmortem> Operative
Gen'kai <Postmortem> Mercenary
Superbeast <Postmortem> Juggernaut

Cr'ysta <The Covenant> Scoundrel

Erotophobia Legacy

islander
03.19.2013 , 12:54 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
I'm not a fan of seeing 'speed-leveling' in this fashion, but if players want to skip the best part of leveling...the story...then, okay.

I only hope this doesn't result in masses of 50s/55s in end game FPs and Operations not knowing what they're doing.
Its already resulting in a lot of bad 50 pvp zones.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

EricMusco
03.19.2013 , 12:55 PM | #117 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
He's basically saying "We don't consider it an exploit, because then we'd have to punish people for being inventive and creative beyond what we had perceived and anticipated. But, we also don't approve of bypassing the leveling process entirely, so we're negating this inventive side-step before the next Double XP weekend."
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

islander
03.19.2013 , 12:57 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Taminy View Post
Cue Nelson Muntz:

Ha-Ha!

I'm amazed even you people on the dev team don't know what exploit means. You just said it isn't an exploit, then said it's not what the dev team intended after that. The definition of exploit means using existing game mechanics to do something the devs did not intend! Near synonym: loophole.

What you mean to say is that it's an exploit but not a cheat.
A loophole is a legitimate un-intended consequence. This is the perfect word for what happened.

I'm also glad I at least got a few levels out of it last night. I guess we can do it tonight as well. Better something then nothing.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 12:58 PM | #119
Translation: not pissing people off who give us money is more important than integrity.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 12:59 PM | #120
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
I hope you realize I'm stealing this for my sig.