Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Display Name Only Log In - Update 2 - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Update 2 - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
03.19.2013 , 02:29 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Dear Leonalis,

Maybe this is a cultural divide, but, please lighten up.

Phillip's posts have been some of the more interesting, friendly, and overall fun yellow posts that I've seen on this forum since the early days. He's not a customer service representative. He's the security guy.
And once again I got to repeat myself... if this information is so important, that a security chief is explaining things on the forums, why is it not translated ?

This game is advertised and sold in three languages, not one. If you plan to make important changes on something like security measures, it is your responsibility to get a translated version of the info online on the same day as the original, unless of course, you are begging for all people, who are not able to fluently read english to leave, cause they get insecure over security matters and cannot read the explanation.

Or once again, don't be a MrYellowDuck and openly admit, that you are unable to translate single pages in a timely manner, and someone of the community will do.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Elear's Avatar


Elear
03.19.2013 , 05:56 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
And once again I got to repeat myself... if this information is so important, that a security chief is explaining things on the forums, why is it not translated ?
Because nobody cares. Really.
Important announcements might get translated, but that doesn't mean each post anyone considers important has to. I'll pick more communication over translating everything anyday.

Leonalis's Avatar


Leonalis
03.19.2013 , 06:04 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Because nobody cares. Really.
Important announcements might get translated, but that doesn't mean each post anyone considers important has to. I'll pick more communication over translating everything anyday.

Yes this thread is also totally unnecessary and needs no translation because the topic is really useless and the Wall of text gives this clearly.

I mean Phillip is only the security chief and if this person write/speak to the community this means nothing.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
03.19.2013 , 06:09 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Because nobody cares. Really.

Important announcements might get translated, but that doesn't mean each post anyone considers important has to. I'll pick more communication over translating everything anyday.
You're saying that a thread about Forum and Game Security, specifically posted to alleviate concerns espoused by this community, posted and written by Bioware's Security Guy, is not an important thread?

Also, you're wrong. By the very fact that people are asking for this to be translated, shows that people care. By the very fact that this thread has so many replies, shows that it is an important topic.

Important announcements should be translated and they should be translated before the English version is posted. All translations must be posted at the same time.

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
03.19.2013 , 06:12 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Because nobody cares. Really.
Important announcements might get translated, but that doesn't mean each post anyone considers important has to. I'll pick more communication over translating everything anyday.
Isn't that rather contradictory ? You would pick more communication... which nobody cares about ? Sounds strange to me.

Also, I am not asking for every tidbit of information to be translated. We do that faster than Bioware anyway. But if it is important info, worth a sticky, then why isn't that info also translated to the other two languages ?

We currently got 14 stickies on the german general board, when the english board got only 7... 10 of the 14 could easily be unstickied or even deleted right away without loosing any info, but someting as important as security is not worth a sticky over at the german board and not even a translation ?

Bioware obviously does care about getting our money... and as we pay in € and not $, we even pay more for getting the same game... but less service... so they should as well care about keeping the WHOLE playerbase informed.

If the game had never had a german and french version, I wouldn't insist on any kind of translation, but the game is available in german and french. You lured players in, that cannot speak english, but can speak german or french and they found a game they are happy with and that they want to pay for... and naturally any change to the security system will matter to them just as it matters to anyone on this part of the forum.

How much more important can an announcement get, compared to a yellow sticky post ? Is there a new category named "really important" ? This whole thread was started by an official BW security specialist.. this is not some reply by service droid XY-42.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Elear's Avatar


Elear
03.19.2013 , 06:30 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
You're saying that a thread about Forum and Game Security, specifically posted to alleviate concerns espoused by this community, posted and written by Bioware's Security Guy, is not an important thread
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Isn't that rather contradictory ? You would pick more communication... which nobody cares about ? Sounds strange to me.
All I meant is that translation is thing that nobody cares about. And yes, I know it's not true because apparently you do. But in big picture, getting this translated is not important.

Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Also, I am not asking for every tidbit of information to be translated. We do that faster than Bioware anyway. But if it is important info, worth a sticky, then why isn't that info also translated to the other two languages ?
Becase everyone at BW can create sticky thread, and Phill is nice enough guy to give up update about his work. But if instead of making players happy this creates only more waves of "translate this nao", then why bother?



Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Bioware obviously does care about getting our money... and as we pay in € and not $, we even pay more for getting the same game... but less service... so they should as well care about keeping the WHOLE playerbase informed.
They are informed. Just because you lack knowledge to understant information doesn't mean information wasn't given.

Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
If the game had never had a german and french version, I wouldn't insist on any kind of translation, but the game is available in german and french. You lured players in, that cannot speak english, but can speak german or french and they found a game they are happy with and that they want to pay for... and naturally any change to the security system will matter to them just as it matters to anyone on this part of the forum.
Yes, creating german and french forums was a mistake, hopefully one they will fix soon.

Leonalis's Avatar


Leonalis
03.19.2013 , 06:35 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Yes, creating german and french forums was a mistake, hopefully one they will fix soon.
Of course let us close the European Server an the pacific/asian too an localize the game only for us-player
This would be the best for the game. Amazing,

Selten jemand erlebt der so engstirnig ist.

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
03.19.2013 , 07:15 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
They are informed. Just because you lack knowledge to understant information doesn't mean information wasn't given.
Oh, so if I tell you something in german, you feel informed, just cause you got the info, even though you cannot read or understand it ?

Or how about kantonese ? Most people would even have a hard time reading the texts, much less understand the meaning.

Wenn ich hier einfach irgendwas schreibe, findest Du das völlig normal, die Information kommt ja rüber, auch wenn du kein Wort verstehst, was ich hier schreibe ? Eindrucksvoll.

In computer science you distinguish data and information. a whole text can be full of data, but have no information at all, as data only becomes information, when it is understandable.

And calling the localization an error is probably the most egocentric thing I have read in a while.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

S_I_T_H_L_O_R_D's Avatar


S_I_T_H_L_O_R_D
03.19.2013 , 07:18 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
.......

Yes, creating german and french forums was a mistake, hopefully one they will fix soon.
The german and the french Players are paying the same price for getting forum information, and writing down suggestions for the game there

2. Class customership is not really suitable for the european customers
Thraturus [Sith-Juggernaut] Ka'taramas [Sith-Attentäterin]
Sallian [Scharfschützin] Batavia [Sith-Hexerin]
Kilvaari [Söldner] A'ida [Jedi-Wächterin]
Shiála [Jedi-Gelehrterin] Veertag [Schurke]

GettoGecko's Avatar


GettoGecko
03.19.2013 , 07:31 AM | #60
So I'm no longer able to log in from different PCs cause I use so many email adresses and passwords that I'm unable to remember all of them, well yeah now I get it, that makes it alot saver. *ignoring the rest of the post*
Does anybody else think at Donald while reading MrYellowDucks posts? Guess hes a bit retarded but at least hes entertaining.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Dear Leonalis,

Maybe this is a cultural divide, but, please lighten up.

Phillip's posts have been some of the more interesting, friendly, and overall fun yellow posts that I've seen on this forum since the early days. He's not a customer service representative. He's the security guy.
Well I guess its some sort of cultural divide because its a important information and the fact that it isn't available at our language is an absolute no go and that it is entertaining can't compensate this because its not there. Well maybe we are a bit too dedicated to rules and security and things like that, you know its a Krauts thing you may have heared about it in history lessons ( don't take it too serious), but we are who we are. But if I'm not wrong than Leonalis is from Switzerland but I would blame the language just to be sure that something is to blame, because of our different understanding of how things should be done and what should be avoided like the translation of the new forum rules contains an indirect insult and the thing with the callouts was translated in a way that forbid users to interact with each other, yeah right its forbiden to answer questions.

Hope you are able to understand what I have writen, if not blame the language, if yes maybe now you understand why the german community is a bit thin-skinned lately cause €A crossed the line with nearly every action and translation they made and what goes around, comes around.