Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gear crafting is truly dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Gear crafting is truly dead

Darevsool's Avatar


Darevsool
03.18.2013 , 07:36 AM | #11
I think gear crafting (for under lvl 50) could increase after 2.0 hits because of the impending weekly limit to planetary comms.

If a leveling toon has 7 slots of orange armor, with an orange weapon/offhand, that's 11 comms worth of mods per slot. That is, at a minimum, 56 comms every two levels (just the armorings and barrels). It's more if you use comms to gear up mods and enhancements as many people do.

As a crafter, the choice becomes, 8 blue mats for the 3 mods going into an orange piece, or 4 blue mats for the pieces as a whole? For each of the 8 slots? it can get expensive to craft for those who don't have a 50 to run dailies to supplement their income during leveling.

(I tend to look at these topics from the perspective of someone leveling their first toon....not their 4th, or 5th...etc.)

This has actually always been the case, but there's never been a cap on comms, so if someone didn't want to craft/buy they could just run heroics on the planet a few times while leveling in order to dramatically increase their comms to buy mods for the orange gear.

Even w/o the cartel market, orange gear is easy, and cheap to get. Social vendor on DK/Coruscant has it for cheap.
2nd wave early access (December 13, 2011) Original CE owner
Former (final) Testing Player Senator for Star Wars Galaxies

Antisthienes's Avatar


Antisthienes
03.18.2013 , 07:53 AM | #12
Crafting with the new level cap should be improved, 400 cybertech on my knight who can buy 23 purple armour but, can't craft beyond 22. Artifice on my marauder is 400 and there are certain enhances that don't exist for crafting e.g. Lucid 22 isn't there while it does exist at higher levels you can't craft it for reference the Darth Sion lightsaber is epic for a juggernaut/guardian build even in a jr form while leveling but, for end game you'd still be stuck with it at a lucid 21.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.18.2013 , 09:23 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Antisthienes View Post
Crafting with the new level cap should be improved, 400 cybertech on my knight who can buy 23 purple armour but, can't craft beyond 22. Artifice on my marauder is 400 and there are certain enhances that don't exist for crafting e.g. Lucid 22 isn't there while it does exist at higher levels you can't craft it for reference the Darth Sion lightsaber is epic for a juggernaut/guardian build even in a jr form while leveling but, for end game you'd still be stuck with it at a lucid 21.
You realize on live you can craft 26 and 27, right?

And on 2.0 that will extend to 28, 29 and 30?

JMCH's Avatar


JMCH
03.18.2013 , 09:49 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
You realize on live you can craft 26 and 27, right?

And on 2.0 that will extend to 28, 29 and 30?
You realize there's no 29 in the PTS build?

Basic is 28 (level 53, ilvl 66), Arkanian/Black Market is 30 (level 55, ilvl 69), nothing in-between.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.18.2013 , 11:55 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
You realize there's no 29 in the PTS build?

Basic is 28 (level 53, ilvl 66), Arkanian/Black Market is 30 (level 55, ilvl 69), nothing in-between.
Oops, my bad.

My point still stands. Antisthienes was claiming cybertech/artifice couldn't craft beyond grade 22.

JMCH's Avatar


JMCH
03.18.2013 , 07:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Oops, my bad.

My point still stands. Antisthienes was claiming cybertech/artifice couldn't craft beyond grade 22.
Artifice won't, because all Black Market pieces have crappy enhancements.
Cybertech could learn useless armorings (no more set bonus from shells) and mods with almost no use because they come from FPs and SM Ops which are fast to run.

Either will be unable to craft because of a very limited exotic mats supply.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.18.2013 , 08:42 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
Artifice won't, because all Black Market pieces have crappy enhancements.
Arkanian gear can be RE'ed, which have Adept, Quick Savant and Initiative. I challenge you to find any dps/healer build that won't use any of those three "crappy" enhancements. Also, if BW fixes crit (big if, I know), there's Acute and Battle available.
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
Cybertech could learn useless armorings (no more set bonus from shells) and mods with almost no use because they come from FPs and SM Ops which are fast to run.
Everyone needs 3 armorings w/o set bonus. 10 ACs can use 4 armorings w/o set bonus (offhand)
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
Either will be unable to craft because of a very limited exotic mats supply.
Hard to argue with this. Hope it gets fixed. I'm pretty sure the prices on grade 9 stabs will be out the roof for a while.

pan_sObak's Avatar


pan_sObak
03.18.2013 , 10:26 PM | #18
crafting is almost dead in swtor

while levelling alts - only cyber is useful for armorings and mods
all others do not cost the time - you can hilts/barrels by by comms, enhancements are cheap as dirt

for endgame:
bio for use of eternal medpacs and adrenals
and crafting augments - mainly power & main stats, maybe def for tanks

i never craft for sale - money are much easy with daylies + comms
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 60, Jugg 60, Sorc 60, Sin 60, Op 60, Sage 60, Comm 60, Guns 55, Vang 60, Sent 60

Craft: Bio 500, Cyber 500, Art 500, Arm 500, Armor 500, Syth 500

JouerTue's Avatar


JouerTue
03.19.2013 , 02:48 AM | #19
alts are in constant need for mods and stuff..and when they reach 50 they will need augments..it's always better craft your stuff..and the schematics for 50lvl are good (cristal, spaceship parts..RE BH..WH schematics) and soon we'll get to 450..

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
03.19.2013 , 03:15 AM | #20
I honestly prefer non-mod based gear, because from experience buying the mods on their own from the GTN is far more expensive then buying the gear themselves.

From Experience at level 11, i got some gear from the Cartel Market for my Jedi Guardian, then i bought level 11 armorings, level 9 mods and level 11 enhancements, all blue quality, guess how much i had to pay due to the overpricing tendances of most crafters?

6x armorings = 6x10k = 60k
6x mods = 6x8k = 48k
4x enhancements = 4x6k = 24k

10k per armoring

8k per mod

6k per enhancement

Total price paid at level 11 is: 132k

I bought a piece of gear as i could wear them and i paid FAR less then what i paid for mods, sorry, but if crafting is useless and not that profitable, its the crafters for being too greedy.

I shouldn't HAVE to craft to get gear, it should be an option, not the only solution, if crafters crafted items for all level brackets for a reasonable price, i would buy them, they might make less profit in the short-term, but in the long term, they will make more profit, but all they think about is short-term, never thinking about long-term....which is a huge mistake, in a business stand point.