Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where are our Chat Bubbles?

Strainge
03.13.2013 , 09:18 PM | #231
All chat bubbles serve are attention whores. Forcing your thoughts on the people around you that didn't ask for them. 10 times as many people will ignore you than in general chat, therefore it will take 10 times as long for your groupfinder to pop. /whisper works just fine.

Lord_O_Death_Joe
03.18.2013 , 05:27 PM | #232
Serously, yes to this. My general chat is filled to the brim on board the fleet with people shouting from who knows where about things I can't possiblely act on if I'm actually trying to... you know... play the game. But this is a minor point.

To those who think they are annoying distractions: just turn off chat bubbles or ignore them like you do the general. For a MMO designed for people who wish to play with a group, including groups of people they don't already know (if you don't like chat bubbles, I question if you really like MMOs), this seems like it should be a basic feature. In fact, with chat bubbles perhaps they could move emotes to chat bubbles and you could stop seeing them in your box as well.

In support (to BioWare): I have YET (after 3-4 months of playing) to sucessfully get someone's attention out in the field doing quests who I didn't know. By the time I send a whisper message they are gone down the way and it comes off as stalkerish anyway. Most people just ignore the general chat, although the purple txt does help catch attention sometimes. Most people I have found in this game are actually quite friendly, if you can meet them in a flashpoint, near the end, while you are all waiting for someone who just died to get back, when they finally check their chat window and actually LOOK for you to say something. I would not only enjoy the experiance more if I could offer a witty comment about the slug I just killed by frying it with lightning and someone would actually see it, I can only imagine how much more of a immersion it would be for a game you spent who-knows-how-long making seem real? I can pretty much gareentee you that someone who reads "fryed slug doesn't smell like I thought it would" in the general will not laugh like the person standing right next to me who saw the slug die by lightning while I was on low health and can see my displeased emote.

Being able to assosiate someone's words and name with a avatar is a very important aspect of rp and ought to be included in a much more natural way than it is now. I have been able to get rp elements going in completely non-rp games before by a clever qwip or IC response (while the player might be kinda bored walking through toxins taking low damage, I can assure you their avatar wouldn't be "I think my toes are melting...") This is completely lost without chat bubbles, as those who check their chat usually aren't nearby.

I strongly support this addition.

Glad to see the ball is already rolling from a page or 2 back and hope this post helps prioritize it.
-
*.....*.,,....Lv fr r d lk pr....,,.*......*
.......,~,.....Srh hrugh Awsmss.....,~,.......
.._.~;`~._,;~,................... Joe ....................,~;,_.~`;~._..

FreePrometheus
03.26.2013 , 07:12 AM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
I love to just stay in character while i am out leveling or what not in the world.
I thought it was only me who did this YAY!

Seriously though, Chat bubbles are needed. Looking at the chat box can be awkward, especially if you are roleplaying a flashpoint, or doing as me and my friend above do, and stay in character and roleplay in open world. As the text box gets swamped with info.

I know you can turn General and other chat off. But i like to have it open so i can get involved with conversations.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda

KainrycKarr
03.27.2013 , 02:52 PM | #234
Supported.

JekRendar
03.27.2013 , 10:49 PM | #235
Wait, the game is almost 18 months old and we still don't have chat bubbles?! lolwut, BioWare.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Ganden
03.31.2013 , 12:13 AM | #236
Another thread for chat bubbles!

/support
Ganden Venorsi
Ataru shall set me free...
Editor-in-chief
SWTOR-RP

Blimble
04.03.2013 , 01:53 PM | #237
Wowzers still no chat bubbles yet? That reminds me, need to find RPers' to RP with now that im back from being out of the country
1. Baby born with artificial leg. 2. Doctor grows human hearts in cabbage patch. 3. When faucets attack. 4. Shoelace vests. 5. Homicidal anything. 6. Cats who stalk. 7. Toilet paper thief strikes roadside bathrooms. 8. Cannibal grandparents.

Neulwen
04.04.2013 , 03:11 AM | #238
I support this completely. It's mind-boggling they haven't implemented it yet.
The electrons are singing.

JekRendar
04.04.2013 , 04:20 AM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Neulwen View Post
I support this completely. It's mind-boggling they haven't implemented it yet.
Very much so.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Wolvgar
04.08.2013 , 12:33 PM | #240
Where are our chat bubbles ?

EA/BIO has something against them ?

just add a turn off feature for those who don't want them as stated 100 times

I'M so glad they listen to the FANS and feature we really like to see. Oh wait forgot this is EA