Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AbsolutGrndZero
03.17.2013 , 06:23 AM | #431
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
I
I also find that a lot of people with strong opinions on who is or who is not gay, also seem to be blinded to the possibility of a character being bisexual. We like to put things into simple categories, but the fact of the matter is sexuality is a spectrum, and a person can sit anywhere along that spectrum between straight and gay. So it is short sighted to be so absolute about these characters.
)
Or blinded to the fact that despite having some personality traits that might suggest homosexuality does not in fact mean a person is actually homosexual or even bisexual. I say this based on that most of my life people tend to think I'm gay, but I'm not., nor am I bisexual. The fact that I strongly support LGBT rights despite being straight myself also confuses a lot of people.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Halinmonk
03.17.2013 , 09:58 AM | #432
I stand firmly behind the idea that Corso Riggs is Bi. His chemistry with the Smuggler, Male or Female, is heavy.

I'm hoping that if he is the Smuggler's Gay Option that his romance will involve a brief sexuality crises :P

Tatile
03.17.2013 , 10:08 AM | #433
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinmonk View Post
I stand firmly behind the idea that Corso Riggs is Bi. His chemistry with the Smuggler, Male or Female, is heavy.

I'm hoping that if he is the Smuggler's Gay Option that his romance will involve a brief sexuality crises :P
Damn, I really need to level my Smuggler before I can start commenting on Corso. I don't want to deal with his chauvinism, but mSmug's voice acting comes across a bland ._.

Halinmonk
03.17.2013 , 11:59 AM | #434
I never understood accusations of Corso being chauvinistic. Mostly he just seems...well kind of old fashioned, but not in a disrespectful way.

It helps that Fem Smugglers can call him out on it all the time :3

chuixupu
03.17.2013 , 01:16 PM | #435
Yeah, I think there's a difference between "chauvinistic" and old fashioned gentlemanly, but I haven't seen any evidence of him looking down on them or calling them weak. My smuggler was male though so I only saw how he reacted to female NPCs and companions.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr
03.17.2013 , 04:33 PM | #436
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Yeah, I think there's a difference between "chauvinistic" and old fashioned gentlemanly, but I haven't seen any evidence of him looking down on them or calling them weak. My smuggler was male though so I only saw how he reacted to female NPCs and companions.
He doesn't look down at females at all. He's the farm boy gentleman type. That of course will come off as chauvinistic to many, which is funny, seeing as some who say that also say "He's bi! Make him SGR so I can romance him!" when he'd likely act the same way and say the same things.

Halinmonk
03.17.2013 , 05:49 PM | #437
Personally, I just want to see Corso have a brief Gay Freak-out where he realizes he's starting to develop feelings for the Captain and is all "I'VE NEVER FELT THIS WAY ABOUT A MAN BEFORE WHAT'S HAPPENING" And the Captain can be all "Relax, this is a completely normally reaction to my awesome "

Or something like that. :P

Tatile
03.17.2013 , 05:51 PM | #438
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinmonk View Post
Or something like that. :P
Magical Cipher seduction powers here.

Zandilar
03.18.2013 , 06:04 AM | #439
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Or blinded to the fact that despite having some personality traits that might suggest homosexuality does not in fact mean a person is actually homosexual or even bisexual. I say this based on that most of my life people tend to think I'm gay, but I'm not., nor am I bisexual. The fact that I strongly support LGBT rights despite being straight myself also confuses a lot of people.
Well, obviously that is the case. There's a reason why TV Tropes has entries for Straight Gay and Camp Straight, these things clearly exist as tropes in the media, so therefore they exist in reality too. It is yet another layer to the complicated spectrum that is human sexuality. (And remember this is without even mentioning asexuality, or separating out sexuality from romance).

As I said, you really can't tell a character's sexuality just by a limited view of their behaviour.

Also, the gay rights movement would get nowhere without our straight allies. So, thank you.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
He doesn't look down at females at all. He's the farm boy gentleman type. That of course will come off as chauvinistic to many, which is funny, seeing as some who say that also say "He's bi! Make him SGR so I can romance him!" when he'd likely act the same way and say the same things.
Actually, we don't know that. It is likely he's going to be more "bromantic" towards a possible male PC love interest. He has been taught to treat women one way, and men another - that wouldn't change if he was bisexual.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

SithKoriandr
03.18.2013 , 07:06 AM | #440
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Well, obviously that is the case. There's a reason why TV Tropes has entries for Straight Gay and Camp Straight, these things clearly exist as tropes in the media, so therefore they exist in reality too. It is yet another layer to the complicated spectrum that is human sexuality. (And remember this is without even mentioning asexuality, or separating out sexuality from romance).

As I said, you really can't tell a character's sexuality just by a limited view of their behaviour.

Also, the gay rights movement would get nowhere without our straight allies. So, thank you.

Actually, we don't know that. It is likely he's going to be more "bromantic" towards a possible male PC love interest. He has been taught to treat women one way, and men another - that wouldn't change if he was bisexual.
You're right, we don't know that, my post was going more along with the idea of some posters saying "Just switch the female/male tags"

Inwhich case, he would treat the PC the same.