Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear crafting is truly dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Gear crafting is truly dead

FragRockKnuckles
03.16.2013 , 07:05 PM | #1
I don't know if it is just me but why do I feel that crafting any kind of gear or weapons is completely pointless because anything you make is never going to be of any use or even make decent credits from. Now item modifications dictate everything to which only a few can craft making a very uncompetitive market and items very expensive.

Things were not like this before. I took pride in learning schematics and what I crafted was at a very competitive level to what item modifications can offer. Don't get me wrong, Item modifications should always be better but the gap between these and crafted gear used to be small but now it's a huge chasm.

If that was not bad enough even the vendors that sell gear is better then what you can make at the same level and even have slots. It is really depressing when you see such changes to literally make crafting gear obsolete and have no consideration to those who love the crafting theme to the game and completely undermines all the work they have put in.

Take the [[Prototype] TD-07A Dread Scout Headgear]. I spent allot of time to RE the schematic and now someone can just buy it off the GTN and it is actually better then what I can make. What is the point of then doing any crewskills for crafting gear when you get slapped in the face for your efforts. Bioware you really should be ashamed to be doing this to crafters.

I used to really enjoy this but sadly it is no more. Gear crafting is truly dead!

-=[FRAGGLEROCK GAMING COMMUNITY- A FUN AND FRIENDLY STAR WARS FAMILY]=-
I'm BACKWARDS. You flea-bitten furball!
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
| WEBSITE

Khevar
03.16.2013 , 08:48 PM | #2
It's a shame that this is your experience.

Personally, I'm thrilled that I've leveled and unlocked so many schematics for so many professions. Having 11 alts, it's helped cross-gear my own characters and their companions.

I also make money selling things from 10-45, as well as some of the higher end gear. In fact, anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.

-Wes-
03.17.2013 , 12:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.
My experience mirrors this. I don't make a killing on sales, but it's enough to pay for the habit. I'm not going to disagree that there are "market pressures" that frustrate crafters, I just don't think crafting is dead.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Helig
03.17.2013 , 03:44 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
My experience mirrors this. I don't make a killing on sales, but it's enough to pay for the habit. I'm not going to disagree that there are "market pressures" that frustrate crafters, I just don't think crafting is dead.
Crafting isn't dead, indeed. But endgame crafting took a big hit in 2.0. In my honest opinion, crafting should be a pillar of endgame, on par with PvP and raids. People who devote themselves to acquiring rare and universally sought-after schematics should be on par as top-rated PvPers and server first progress raiders as far as attention from developers and respect of the community goes.

Otherwise, crafting seems to be a secondary diversion, good for making some credits and gearing alts, but with fairly limited impact on endgame.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

asbalana
03.17.2013 , 08:27 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
It's a shame that this is your experience.

Personally, I'm thrilled that I've leveled and unlocked so many schematics for so many professions. Having 11 alts, it's helped cross-gear my own characters and their companions.

I also make money selling things from 10-45, as well as some of the higher end gear. In fact, anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.
Interesting. I have a Synth and Armormech at 400, each with a large book of schematics and still buy adaptive gear for leveling alts the minute I hit fleet. I do eventually replace that gear with crafted or dropped items because the cheaper adaptive gear which does the trick stat wise once modded is very ugly.

My wife has a 400 Synth and early on after launch spent a ton of time REing and a ton of credits buying rare schematics. All of her alts are now geared in CM stuff which she buys on the GM because they are much more attractive to her. Except for a low level belt or bracers, I don't remember the last time that she crafted anything.

After launch I did sell some gear but have not done so for a long time because I found sales slowed down and did not return much profit.

Crafting, in concept, is a mini game within the game, a way to progress, and a way to make credits that has the potential to keep a large segment of the community engaged. It is a shame to see the state that it is in and consider the loss to the game itself. Over the outraged cries of the entitled and elite raiders, I would say that crafting should be on an equal level and provide the same quality of rewards as the other parts of an mmo.

SturmUndSterne
03.17.2013 , 01:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Crafting isn't dead, indeed. But endgame crafting took a big hit in 2.0. In my honest opinion, crafting should be a pillar of endgame, on par with PvP and raids. People who devote themselves to acquiring rare and universally sought-after schematics should be on par as top-rated PvPers and server first progress raiders as far as attention from developers and respect of the community goes.

Otherwise, crafting seems to be a secondary diversion, good for making some credits and gearing alts, but with fairly limited impact on endgame.
Exactly when, at any point, has crafting been anything other than a diversion or money sink in this game, with the exception of biochem or cybertech crafters?

JMCH
03.17.2013 , 06:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SturmUndSterne View Post
Exactly when, at any point, has crafting been anything other than a diversion or money sink in this game, with the exception of biochem or cybertech crafters?
When we listened/read about it?

Sure, it's so much fun gaining the schematic for a +shield +presence shotgun/knife...

FragRockKnuckles
03.17.2013 , 09:49 PM | #8
Thank you for all your responses.

Asbalana, you hit the nail on the head.
Quote:
" I would say that crafting should be on an equal level and provide the same quality of rewards as the other parts of an mmo".
At present I feel Amormech and Synthweaving are not providing the same quality of rewards. They instead provide levels of convenience to be able to craft something in particular for your needs or alts. I certainly find nothing of value that can be made to at least earn enough credits to cover your mats + time and have a decent profit.

Take the new embargoed items vendor at level 43. None of the artifact items made by an Armormech can compete with those and if they try to sell it at over the 40k ask price well it's just not going to sell even though crafting offers players an alternative to having to get reputation for same level gear. What should have been done is the vendor offers either higher or lower level gear but just not the same level so as not to undermine crafters making a particular level of gear.

Maybe I'm just old school.

-=[FRAGGLEROCK GAMING COMMUNITY- A FUN AND FRIENDLY STAR WARS FAMILY]=-
I'm BACKWARDS. You flea-bitten furball!
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
| WEBSITE

Koyaanisqat
03.17.2013 , 10:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FragRockKnuckles View Post
At present I feel Amormech and Synthweaving are not providing the same quality of rewards. They instead provide levels of convenience to be able to craft something in particular for your needs or alts. I certainly find nothing of value that can be made to at least earn enough credits to cover your mats + time and have a decent profit.
Main Stat augments.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

Khevar
03.18.2013 , 12:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
Main Stat augments.
And augment kits