Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
03.14.2013 , 07:51 PM | #2911
Quick drive-by posting, short piece.

Prompt: Music

Characters: Sha’ra’zaed (IA) and Vector.

No spoilers beyond the identity of the IA’s designated LI. Occurs prior to Hallucination.

The piece of music I had in mind was The Longships.

Spoiler

Tatile
03.15.2013 , 06:00 AM | #2912
Time to respond, I'm terribly sorry for being so late with this

Striges - It's interesting to Vector and Sha'ra'zaed again, particularly in a music piece. The Joiners always talk about the music of the universe, and auras come up a lot in Vector-based fiction, so the descriptions of aura changes are fairly common, but I think that you did well capturing the changes of an unobserved person to one that's observed. It's pretty much a fact that people act differently when they think no one's watching, and we can all (usually) notice the shift, but Vector can see it on so many levels and understand someone on a greater level of depth than they would expect. It's nice to see how much Vector cares for Sha'ra'zaed, and I like to think it's not in spite of her nuances as an Agent, but because of them.

Magdalane - Miriah and Corso being sweet and parent-y with each other is pleasant, especially since your Corso seems so much more mature and infinitely less irritating than the one I've run into in-game I have to say, I really did get an impression of a house, utterly alone in the middle of a thunderstorm, withstanding assaults of terror through love alone. A little beacon of warmth in the darkness.

Kabe - Dun dun dun! I saw your tumblr post before you put that up, so I was immediately confused, but I think I like where your Kaliyo is going - it certainly explains a lot (more than Keeper does to the Agent on Hutta, anyway).

EverStream - I'll admit it took me a little while to get into your story, largely because at first I was getting confused by the tenses when you were describing the music, but I'm glad I finished Damin and his Mysterious Saviour seem just incredibly interesting. I want to know why he was locked up, why she came to save him, how he survives after that and ends up in Intelligence and what she goes on to do (you say BH, but I was just getting really strong Warrior vibes, dunno why.) Plz more.

Vesaniae - The air of noble tragedy strikes again. And it's not all bad being attracted to older men, those ones tend to have a greater chance of having their priorities straight (unless they're single for a reason.)

Bright - Kaliyo just hates everyone o.O It's nice to see how kind Ruth is and how much Wynston looks out for her. And Quinn? Definitely a one-track mind at this point. Gah, I still need to grab your pdf's and put them on my Kindle - I've been terrible at reading anything that isn't Short Fic lately (yes, even real books. I don't think I've finished a real book for over a year.)

I'm going to go crawl into a hole now and think.

bright_ephemera
03.15.2013 , 08:57 AM | #2913
Striges, the turn at the end of your Music piece is heartbreaking. You do such a good, and deep, and thorough job of showing how lonely Sha'ra'zaed is, throughout her story.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
It's nice to see how kind Ruth is and how much Wynston looks out for her.
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Still, if I'd known I was to be the last interesting sexual experience of her life I would have tried to arrange a few more hours off work with her back on Nar Shaddaa.
Good Guy Wynston: Always willing to help a lady friend. In all seriousness, in his noncommittal way he does like it when nice people get good things, and gets irritable when people mess with that...but I'm still snickering right now.

Now some Music, dedicated to my neglected Colran Niral, Ruth's father, some 31 years before Ruth's class quest starts. 1300 words. No game spoilers.

Spoiler

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Selentar
03.15.2013 , 09:23 AM | #2914
A few Virtues/Deadly Sins taken from companions' "diaries"

(some spoilers for companions and events)

PATIENCE - Skorpio (patience of a different kind)

Spoiler

WRATH/LUST – Jaesa (DS)

Spoiler

PRIDE – Quinn

Spoiler

ENVY – Mako

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
03.16.2013 , 03:10 PM | #2915
Selentar, I like the voices you capture for those companions.

Also, time, why do you keep passing like this!? Have some prompts:

Week of 3/15/2013
To Market, To Market - To tread close to a game mechanic, or perhaps just to enrich/contextualize what game stuff we see: The Cartel Market brings tons of unique weapons, speeders, pets, funny-looking gear, and more to our in-game characters. Do any of those items have a story?

And, as ever,
Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=1675.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

MilaniGrey
03.16.2013 , 09:48 PM | #2916
Uh oh.. I did it again.

So, uh.. NotLP: Health, featuring my bounty hunter. 907 words.

Spoiler

*slinks away*
The Islingr Legacy
Ebon Hawk Server
"How dreadfully spooky." -- Vesaniae's Darth Nox

Striges
03.16.2013 , 10:26 PM | #2917
Prompt: To Market, To Market

Characters: Kirya Bilali (smuggler, natch), Corso Riggs, Risha

Title: Things I Hate to Ship

It was the first thing that came to mind. 200 words of fluff. No spoilers.

Spoiler

Tatile
03.17.2013 , 06:14 AM | #2918
Milani - That was really good and also rather sad in parts. It would be nice to see more from Alli

Striges - That started to sound adorable, then quickly went into "oh god, ew" territory. Hopefully next time Kirya pet-proofs the ship.

Striges
03.17.2013 , 12:06 PM | #2919
Made a slight edit so it isn't maybe quite so eww.

I had pet parakeets--they are cute and a lot of fun but the messiest small animals I have ever owned. There's a reason birds live outdoors.

kabeone
03.17.2013 , 03:02 PM | #2920
Prompt and Chrono Indexes are up to date and now comments!

@Magdalane Corso and Miriah are the sweetest. Beautiful imagery.

@Ves I nominate Tessa as most adorable Sith. Also, I saw what you did there.

@Selentar I love the little perspectives of everyone. Your Mako perspective seems very realistic if the BH chose mostly dark choices. Very nice.

@bright I love the perspectives piece. Ruth and Wynston worried about each other's relationships but not wanting to say anything, Quinn and Kaliyo being um... themselves

Colran piece: Is it wrong that I loved the idea of wrought-phobium tables? I like Colran's backstory training with the Jedi and how different everything feels to him and Gend! Yay Gend!

@Milani Yay Alli! Alli's withdrawal pains, nicely done. Very cringeworthy.

@Striges The music piece was very nice. I wasn't sure how it would end, I feel so very bad for Vector, he's so patient and kind in the face of Sha'ra'zaed's lies and she's still so damaged.

For the Kirya piece: I love the smuggler mentality. "Never again!... unless the price is right." Pretty accurate too as far as cornering the market goes, but I can imagine the follow up would be a "2 day hold" placed by an overzealous customs agent and they don't get to market first and are now stuck with worthless cargo.