Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

Gnillot's Avatar


Gnillot
07.30.2012 , 04:49 AM | #31
Would be fun to try this spec but...

When I follow the link to the spec in the first post it says "This Skill Calculator link was generated prior to the 06/25/2012 skill tree revamp. Please note it may not be accurate."
Is the link in the first post showing the correct build?

When I follow the link in your signature it only gives a "21 point level 30 mumbo jumbo spec".

Grimoir's Avatar


Grimoir
07.30.2012 , 01:40 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Gnillot View Post
Would be fun to try this spec but...

When I follow the link to the spec in the first post it says "This Skill Calculator link was generated prior to the 06/25/2012 skill tree revamp. Please note it may not be accurate."
Is the link in the first post showing the correct build?

When I follow the link in your signature it only gives a "21 point level 30 mumbo jumbo spec".
I got it all fixed. Sometimes torhead links do weird things =P
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

Gnillot's Avatar


Gnillot
07.31.2012 , 03:18 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimoir View Post
I got it all fixed. Sometimes torhead links do weird things =P
Thanks a lot!

Grimoir's Avatar


Grimoir
02.28.2013 , 06:36 PM | #34
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Guess whats looking to be the primary DPS spec in 2.0? That's right, Terminal Velocity. It will still rock in WZ's, but its looking like it will start to shine in PvE as well, which is awesome to see.

2.0 is going to allow for points in Firebug/Assault Trooper(30% Crit damage on HIB/RS, etc.) and Steely Resolve(+9% Aim). So excited =P
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

ceelaniri's Avatar


ceelaniri
03.01.2013 , 07:39 AM | #35
This spec looks very good on paper but the heat consumption is just terribad albeit fun to play.

In practice on current server, while offering more survivability against melee thanks to HTL. It is no match to a regular pyro spec in term of downing a healer because it lacks AP and the 30% crit talent.

Besides, in 2.0 it loses its specificity with HTL being given as a base skill. I am not sure whether the options to take the Aim and 30% crit talents will be enough to offset the lack of AP.
Masamoto Pentesilhea

unluckyperson's Avatar


unluckyperson
03.01.2013 , 11:39 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by ceelaniri View Post
This spec looks very good on paper but the heat consumption is just terribad albeit fun to play.

In practice on current server, while offering more survivability against melee thanks to HTL. It is no match to a regular pyro spec in term of downing a healer because it lacks AP and the 30% crit talent.

Besides, in 2.0 it loses its specificity with HTL being given as a base skill. I am not sure whether the options to take the Aim and 30% crit talents will be enough to offset the lack of AP.
that is probably the biggest problem with the meta-game though isn't it? Burst damage is almost unparalleled if played properly because the problems with DoT effects or good constant damage is that they can be countered by HoT effects and heals, but hard hitting burst damage is too fast for healers to heal against.

Grimoir's Avatar


Grimoir
03.01.2013 , 01:11 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by ceelaniri View Post
This spec looks very good on paper but the heat consumption is just terribad albeit fun to play.

In practice on current server, while offering more survivability against melee thanks to HTL. It is no match to a regular pyro spec in term of downing a healer because it lacks AP and the 30% crit talent.

Besides, in 2.0 it loses its specificity with HTL being given as a base skill. I am not sure whether the options to take the Aim and 30% crit talents will be enough to offset the lack of AP.
In practice, the ammo/heat consumption isn't bad at all. After playing it extensively, you kinda get to used to timing out your abilities. Sure, if you're filling every single GCD with an IP/FB, you're gonna run out of steam REALLY fast, but if you know how to utilize the free SS/RP and your IA/PPA procs, you can easily balance yourself around 70-80% of your given resource.

With 2.0, this spec actually get BETTER. 5 extra points allows for you to grab the 30% crit talent(Assault Trooper/Firebug) making those auto-crit HIB/RS hit just as hard as pure AS/Pyro. Then you can spend the other point in either Steely Resolve for extra Aim, or Rain of Fire for extra damage to burning targets(after more testing, this is looking like the better choice if you're stacking Power augs). Then, with HTL/HO being given out for free, you have another point to put in whichever of the above two you picked up. Now depending on personal preference, the final point can be retained in the 6-sec 50% slow talent for Gut/RB, or can be skipped to secure the final level of Steely Resolve or Rain of Fire. Either way, you're looking at a HUGE damage increase with 2.0.

If you take a look over on the PT forums, you'll see several different threads about this being the new OP in the expac. So if you're interested in hearing it from more than just me, get more info over there.
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

ceelaniri's Avatar


ceelaniri
03.01.2013 , 02:52 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimoir View Post
In practice, the ammo/heat consumption isn't bad at all. After playing it extensively, you kinda get to used to timing out your abilities. Sure, if you're filling every single GCD with an IP/FB, you're gonna run out of steam REALLY fast, but if you know how to utilize the free SS/RP and your IA/PPA procs, you can easily balance yourself around 70-80% of your given resource.

With 2.0, this spec actually get BETTER. 5 extra points allows for you to grab the 30% crit talent(Assault Trooper/Firebug) making those auto-crit HIB/RS hit just as hard as pure AS/Pyro. Then you can spend the other point in either Steely Resolve for extra Aim, or Rain of Fire for extra damage to burning targets(after more testing, this is looking like the better choice if you're stacking Power augs). Then, with HTL/HO being given out for free, you have another point to put in whichever of the above two you picked up. Now depending on personal preference, the final point can be retained in the 6-sec 50% slow talent for Gut/RB, or can be skipped to secure the final level of Steely Resolve or Rain of Fire. Either way, you're looking at a HUGE damage increase with 2.0.

If you take a look over on the PT forums, you'll see several different threads about this being the new OP in the expac. So if you're interested in hearing it from more than just me, get more info over there.
I am basing my point of view on my own experience as I played this spec extensively some months ago when it didn't have a name but was already featured in some movies. I retested it and compared to 7/3/31 that i currently use. The lack of burst was very apparent despite the fact that I really like having HTL and these CD reductions.

My points still stands, ammo management and burst are weaker than other specs. Not sure how it will turn in 2.0 yet. Testing that kind of spec on PTS' warzones is always tricky due to the difference between players' stuff (some have 2k expertise, others 1k and others are in PVE gear).

However, your HIB won't hit as hard because even if you opt for Assault Trooper, you will have 2 points left for either Rain of Fire (+9% HIB dmg for 3 pts), Brutal Impact (+6% HIB dmg for 2 points) or Steely resolve (+9% aim for 3 points) and also you will still be missing AP.

As a reference, i m using the 7/3/36 build: http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-.../vanguard/237/

Just my thoughts, good luck with this build.
Masamoto Pentesilhea

Grimoir's Avatar


Grimoir
03.01.2013 , 03:20 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by ceelaniri View Post
I am basing my point of view on my own experience as I played this spec extensively some months ago when it didn't have a name but was already featured in some movies. I retested it and compared to 7/3/31 that i currently use. The lack of burst was very apparent despite the fact that I really like having HTL and these CD reductions.

My points still stands, ammo management and burst are weaker than other specs. Not sure how it will turn in 2.0 yet. Testing that kind of spec on PTS' warzones is always tricky due to the difference between players' stuff (some have 2k expertise, others 1k and others are in PVE gear).

However, your HIB won't hit as hard because even if you opt for Assault Trooper, you will have 2 points left for either Rain of Fire (+9% HIB dmg for 3 pts), Brutal Impact (+6% HIB dmg for 2 points) or Steely resolve (+9% aim for 3 points) and also you will still be missing AP.

As a reference, i m using the 7/3/36 build: http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-.../vanguard/237/

Just my thoughts, good luck with this build.
Well it's good to see that people other than myself have used, or at least tried out, this spec over the course of the past 10 months. I will definitely concede your point about it lacking REAL burst, but I feel like the sustained damage combined with the low-end burst provided by a double auto-crit RS is still something to be reckoned with.

However, I still disagree on the ammo/heat management portion. I have a much easier time on both my Vanguard and my PT keeping 'out of the red,' so to speak. With free SS/RP procs popping up consistently, the free shots from IA/PPA, and the vent from High Friction Bolts, its a simple task to keep from over-doing it. The thing about this spec is that you don't need to be spending your resource on every single GCD, because you have DoT's ticking constantly. In fact, you get to weave in more Hammer Shots/Rapid Shots for upkeep on your burn and conserving ammo/heat. Again, it may not be the same as the burst that pure AS/Pyro provides, but it gives MUCH more consistent damage and is much more viable(imo) in scenarios involving multiple targets. All of this is only going to get better with 2.0.

Now as for having to choose between those for the hybrid vs easily affording them all in pure AS/Pyro. I guess I was a little hasty saying that it would hit JUST AS HARD, but it will be pretty close. There is a new talent in the Tactics/AP tree that gives +3% damage to bleeding targets which not only affects HIB/RS, but ALL of your other abilities, leading to a nice amp in damage output. 3% may not seem like alot, but its half of what Brutal Impact provides, and BI only helps HIB/RS.

In any case, we'll have to see how it looks when the final changes are put in place and the expansion is actually released. Thanks for the constructive input by the way, I have nothing but respect for your responses. +Karma, good sir.
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

ZillaElite's Avatar


ZillaElite
03.15.2013 , 11:05 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimoir View Post
Well it's good to see that people other than myself have used, or at least tried out, this spec over the course of the past 10 months. I will definitely concede your point about it lacking REAL burst, but I feel like the sustained damage combined with the low-end burst provided by a double auto-crit RS is still something to be reckoned with.

However, I still disagree on the ammo/heat management portion. I have a much easier time on both my Vanguard and my PT keeping 'out of the red,' so to speak. With free SS/RP procs popping up consistently, the free shots from IA/PPA, and the vent from High Friction Bolts, its a simple task to keep from over-doing it. The thing about this spec is that you don't need to be spending your resource on every single GCD, because you have DoT's ticking constantly. In fact, you get to weave in more Hammer Shots/Rapid Shots for upkeep on your burn and conserving ammo/heat. Again, it may not be the same as the burst that pure AS/Pyro provides, but it gives MUCH more consistent damage and is much more viable(imo) in scenarios involving multiple targets. All of this is only going to get better with 2.0.

Now as for having to choose between those for the hybrid vs easily affording them all in pure AS/Pyro. I guess I was a little hasty saying that it would hit JUST AS HARD, but it will be pretty close. There is a new talent in the Tactics/AP tree that gives +3% damage to bleeding targets which not only affects HIB/RS, but ALL of your other abilities, leading to a nice amp in damage output. 3% may not seem like alot, but its half of what Brutal Impact provides, and BI only helps HIB/RS.

In any case, we'll have to see how it looks when the final changes are put in place and the expansion is actually released. Thanks for the constructive input by the way, I have nothing but respect for your responses. +Karma, good sir.
Real interesting discussion. I'm going to run 2 test on a training dummy and capture results with Mox Parser and share them with you. What I will run is 30 sec, 1 minute and 3 minutes DPS test comparing Full out Assault and Terminal Velocity builds to see the difference.

Going in, I suspect that the 30 sec test, the Assault will beat TV but I'm not so certain in the 1 and 3 minute tests. Assault definately has better burst but sustained damage over time, we'll see. Stay tuned will have results up shortly.