Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Has the Empire lost the war? Totally?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Has the Empire lost the war? Totally?

KaleTogras
03.14.2013 , 07:42 AM | #1
Ok, I can't speak about the state of the Empire without going into spoiler territory, so...

Spoiler

So, is there any hope that the Imps can bounce back? And how exactly?

DAWUSS
03.14.2013 , 07:55 AM | #2
They'd have to quit the infighting, which looks to be doubtful. They'd probably need a powerful figure to unite them, and even then it's a long shot.

That said, I do hope they rebound and gain some key victories against the Republic.

KaleTogras
03.14.2013 , 10:13 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
They'd have to quit the infighting, which looks to be doubtful. They'd probably need a powerful figure to unite them, and even then it's a long shot.

That said, I do hope they rebound and gain some key victories against the Republic.
The way I see it, the next expansion will be the return of either the Emperor or some more tangible, physical manifestation of him. He will then unite the Empire and let the Imps rally for an impressive victory or two (An Ops where you kick Satele's shapely deriere, for instance)...

...and then if that expansion sells poorly, the next one will see the Imps and Pubs join together to prevent the Emperor's 'true' plan, sign another peace agreement/enter another Cold War and use the stalemate to milk people through the Cartel Market .

drfumblez
03.14.2013 , 10:32 AM | #4
Well, the Empire had been dominating the war for the past 40 years. . . So, you'll have to excuse me if I have no sympathy for them now that they're finally losing.

BlazingShadow
03.14.2013 , 10:33 AM | #5
Don't forget about the situation with the Dread Masters. That right there has cost the Empire additional and unique forces which would have been excellent weapons of war in the fight against the Republic.

and REMEMBER with the new front of the war with the Hutt Cartel, the tides may turn yet again!

XantosCledwin
03.15.2013 , 02:34 AM | #6
You guys do realize that the Sith do ultimately lose the War and end up in near total extinction (with the exception of a small handful of Sith living under the cover of Republic Senators and similar things and the Lost Tribe of the Sith, which had been missing centuries before the game even started), right?
55 Mara / 14 Sniper / 2 Inq
41 Sin / 38 PTech / 31 Sage / 24 Vngrd / 11 Jugg
The Cledwin Legacy / The Shadowlands

jovianus
03.15.2013 , 03:16 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
You guys do realize that the Sith do ultimately lose the War and end up in near total extinction (with the exception of a small handful of Sith living under the cover of Republic Senators and similar things and the Lost Tribe of the Sith, which had been missing centuries before the game even started), right?
There's about 3000 years between the TOR timeframe and the events of the movies. That's a lot of time for the war to seesaw back and forth between the Empire and the Republic before the Empire falls.

XantosCledwin
03.15.2013 , 03:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
There's about 3000 years between the TOR timeframe and the events of the movies. That's a lot of time for the war to seesaw back and forth between the Empire and the Republic before the Empire falls.
That's true I suppose. The thing is, there is no way that the game can span all 3,000 or so years between the TOR time frame and the first Movie.
55 Mara / 14 Sniper / 2 Inq
41 Sin / 38 PTech / 31 Sage / 24 Vngrd / 11 Jugg
The Cledwin Legacy / The Shadowlands

jovianus
03.15.2013 , 03:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
That's true I suppose. The thing is, there is no way that the game can span all 3,000 or so years between the TOR time frame and the first Movie.
Obviously. On the other hand, they decided to make both factions playable, if the intention is just to go with "The Republic always wins, sometime later on the Empire implodes." they should have just made the Empire a purely NPC faction.

It's one thing to play Imperial knowing that at some point in the next 3000 years the Empire is doomed, it's another to play it and just constantly lose right now and have pretty much everything you're doing in game mean nothing.

KaleTogras
03.15.2013 , 03:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
Obviously. On the other hand, they decided to make both factions playable, if the intention is just to go with "The Republic always wins, sometime later on the Empire implodes." they should have just made the Empire a purely NPC faction.

It's one thing to play Imperial knowing that at some point in the next 3000 years the Empire is doomed, it's another to play it and just constantly lose right now and have pretty much everything you're doing in game mean nothing.
That. It makes no sense from a game designer's stand point - If the Empire players and especially the rarest kind, Imp RP-ers, have to go through every future expansion knowing that every victory they achieved will be retconned into a Republic win later, what's the point of playing? That's why we're getting the Hutts and the Dread Masters and all those other joint antagonists for now - not to upset the order of things. Sure, the Pubs and Imps are enemies, but sometimes, they are merely frenemies .

That being said, having played through both the Rep and Imp class stories (or watched them on YouTube in the case of the JC, SI and Trooper), I still hate it how many times the Imps are building steadily towards a small victory, while the Pubs are mostly just salvaging one close disaster/sabotage/Imp plot after another, only to incidently score an incredible victory almost 'on the side' (see Jedi Knight with the Emperor and Corellia)!