Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Erked.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vember's Avatar


Vember
03.12.2013 , 09:21 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
I'm tired of this collectors edition excuse to have a p2w system. Are you serious?

Obviously everyone of you like the idea of p2w system, and hey, bring it on, let it ruin the game.

The collector's edition is fluff. The new rep. grind is a piece of content you pay to win at. THERE'S YOUR DIFFERENCE.
I'm tired of you calling it p2w. There's nothing p2w about it.

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
03.12.2013 , 09:21 AM | #82 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I can see from reading over this thread (and some others) that there are some questions around this new Reputation so I wanted to hopefully clarify a few points in this thread.
-
  • Reputation is based on money spent! - Although to an extent this is certainly true as the Reputation is gained by opening Contraband Packs, keep in mind that if you do not want to spend Cartel Coins on packs you always have the option of purchasing them through the GTN from other players. I know this will not diffuse the notion that it is a "pay to Reputation" but it is an alternative to spending Cartel Coins if that was your primary concern.
  • Pay To Win - When designing a system for the Cartel Market this is always something we are very aware of. With this new Reputation system almost all of the items you can get have no stats and are purely cosmetic items or Adaptive shells. The only exception is the level 43 armor which was previously found on the Cartel Market.
  • Exclusive Items - As a part of this Reputation there are three vendors found on the fleet, only one of these vendors contains items exclusive to this organization (which again, has no stats on it). The other two vendors contain items which are either found in packs from Shipment One, or were previously a part of the Cartel Market (which are most likely all available from other players on the GTN). These items all cost credits, Cartel Market Certificates, or both.

I know these clarifications will certainly not alleviate all of your frustrations. I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs. I hope those clarifications can alleviate some of your concerns, however, please keep the feedback coming. As you explore the system we want to hear your thoughts and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Levity's Avatar


Levity
03.12.2013 , 09:22 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Vember View Post
Because there's no statistical ingame advantage to having maxed rep with this vendor, that any other player can't get by different means. It's all fluff. I really don't see the big deal here, and I don't plan to gain rep with this vendor.
Ok, so you don't care about it, means everyone else should. And we should all dance like little fairies throwing sparkling dust around while EA/BW holds the strings. Look, I bet a big portion of this player base likes getting reputation. For those people who like getting reputation and doing the grinds, all this is, is p2w. Honestly. Rep. grinds are the same as lvl grinds. You gain exp and get rewarded with a new lvl. So by all means if it's ok to pay for a rep. grind it's ok to pay for a lvl grind too. Or anything of grind. You want credits? Pay real cash. You want end game gear? Pay real cash.
Honestly, reputation since it's birth has never been about fluff content. ITS a BIG part of the content. Especially in this kind of game that merits story, where your accomplishments mean something. I'm sorry I'd rather spend the time ingame actually achieving something then p2wing it.

TheSeventhJedi's Avatar


TheSeventhJedi
03.12.2013 , 09:24 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

I know these clarifications will certainly not alleviate all of your frustrations. I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs. I hope those clarifications can alleviate some of your concerns, however, please keep the feedback coming. As you explore the system we want to hear your thoughts and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

-eric
Wow, just wow. I thought, surely, there's going to be a way to earn this rep later down the road. I can't believe my knee-jerk reaction was right. Fix it. Change it. Now. Emergency patch 1.7.2a needs to deploy tomorrow with these dropping somewhere. Your clarification confirms our worst fears.

Mevan's Avatar


Mevan
03.12.2013 , 09:24 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs.
"Thanking" players by forcing them to spend more money? Sorry but that's just a terrible excuse.
Quit as of 2.4. Because the Star Wars IP can only get bad developers so far.

Idejon's Avatar


Idejon
03.12.2013 , 09:25 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by SteelPiranha View Post
Didn't a dev say that we will have ways of earning CC's in game soon?

If that has any truth to it, then you might not have to spend any real money on this rep. This will only be an issue for someone who doesn't want to grind CC's and/or may want something now, which makes it optional to spend cash.

If they have already squashed the in game CC's idea, my bad, I very well could've missed it.
There is a limited number of CCs to earn from the achievement system. In the version on PTS there are 820 available CC's primarily for leveling all 8 classes. This is enough to buy 2.5 of the new cartel packs and in no way mitigates the fact you can't earn rep while playing the game.


In general, since this is already being called Money Spent on Game Gauge, I would ask Bioware to include the rep items as an addition perk for subscribers, enough to get 10k rep a month. This would be 7 months of subbing before hitting legend status but I feel like it would mitigate the bad sentiment this patch has already received.

Also, it would be nice if the rep items and certificates could be sold on the GTN so that we don't have to buy the entire pack to just get the reputation. The plethora of complaints within hours of this going live is bad news for Bioware and hopefully you guys can respond in a way similar to the repair crisis of 1.7.0.
The De'us Legacy
Quegaran - 55 Sage/Twi'lek Quedetruit - 55 GS/Chiss
Pasde - 55 Mercenary/Chiss Quag - 55 Assassin/Twi'lek
Absque - 55 Guardian/Human Maitre - 55 Vanguard/Twi'lek

Leonalis's Avatar


Leonalis
03.12.2013 , 09:25 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I[*]Pay To Win - When designing a system for the Cartel Market this is always something we are very aware of. With this new Reputation system almost all of the items you can get have no stats and are purely cosmetic items or Adaptive shells. The only exception is the level 43 armor which was previously found on the Cartel Market.[/LIST]
This is the first step to P2W. Of course, for Raiding, Flashpoint and PVP this is a non-sense faction.


But for people who play the game because of the gathering, success, reputation, etc.

it is know P2W.

AlienEyeTX's Avatar


AlienEyeTX
03.12.2013 , 09:26 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I can see from reading over this thread (and some others) that there are some questions around this new Reputation so I wanted to hopefully clarify a few points in this thread.
-
  • Reputation is based on money spent! - Although to an extent this is certainly true as the Reputation is gained by opening Contraband Packs, keep in mind that if you do not want to spend Cartel Coins on packs you always have the option of purchasing them through the GTN from other players. I know this will not diffuse the notion that it is a "pay to Reputation" but it is an alternative to spending Cartel Coins if that was your primary concern.
  • Pay To Win - When designing a system for the Cartel Market this is always something we are very aware of. With this new Reputation system almost all of the items you can get have no stats and are purely cosmetic items or Adaptive shells. The only exception is the level 43 armor which was previously found on the Cartel Market.
  • Exclusive Items - As a part of this Reputation there are three vendors found on the fleet, only one of these vendors contains items exclusive to this organization (which again, has no stats on it). The other two vendors contain items which are either found in packs from Shipment One, or were previously a part of the Cartel Market (which are most likely all available from other players on the GTN). These items all cost credits, Cartel Market Certificates, or both.

I know these clarifications will certainly not alleviate all of your frustrations. I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs. I hope those clarifications can alleviate some of your concerns, however, please keep the feedback coming. As you explore the system we want to hear your thoughts and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

-eric
Thank you for the clarification. I only hope that this information helps people see things more clearly. This is an intriguing option for those who want to spend more money on a unique or previously discontinued look.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Fantazm's Avatar


Fantazm
03.12.2013 , 09:26 AM | #89
Rewarding people who buy packs?

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaaaaa


That's a good one. Any more?

crubel's Avatar


crubel
03.12.2013 , 09:27 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I can see from reading over this thread (and some others) that there are some questions around this new Reputation so I wanted to hopefully clarify a few points in this thread.
-
  • Reputation is based on money spent! - Although to an extent this is certainly true as the Reputation is gained by opening Contraband Packs, keep in mind that if you do not want to spend Cartel Coins on packs you always have the option of purchasing them through the GTN from other players. I know this will not diffuse the notion that it is a "pay to Reputation" but it is an alternative to spending Cartel Coins if that was your primary concern.
  • Pay To Win - When designing a system for the Cartel Market this is always something we are very aware of. With this new Reputation system almost all of the items you can get have no stats and are purely cosmetic items or Adaptive shells. The only exception is the level 43 armor which was previously found on the Cartel Market.
  • Exclusive Items - As a part of this Reputation there are three vendors found on the fleet, only one of these vendors contains items exclusive to this organization (which again, has no stats on it). The other two vendors contain items which are either found in packs from Shipment One, or were previously a part of the Cartel Market (which are most likely all available from other players on the GTN). These items all cost credits, Cartel Market Certificates, or both.

I know these clarifications will certainly not alleviate all of your frustrations. I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs. I hope those clarifications can alleviate some of your concerns, however, please keep the feedback coming. As you explore the system we want to hear your thoughts and will be keeping an eye on this thread.

-eric

Question for you. Any possibility of the new achievement system that is on test center to possibly have cartel market rep tokens as rewards for some achievements?