Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranking PVE DPS

AngelFluttershy
02.11.2013 , 06:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare
I agree with you that engineering dps is high enough to complete any content in the game. That isn't what I was arguing. I was arguing that engineering is not as good as full lethality or the hybrid. When I mean "less than good dps" I mean in comparison to the other specs in the class. My OP assumed that each class was using the optimal spec for their class, which both of us should agree is lethality or the hybrid. I agree that Engineering is only better in the rare cases where you are only composed of marauders and assassins in NIM EC. If that happens to be the case, engineering is probably best for the sniper, however it would be a rare occasion. How many guilds run NiM EC with two marauders, an assassin, and a sniper? I would bet it is pretty rare.

I agree that ballistic shield has some good use, but that also wasn't what I was arguing. I was arguing that the combination of utility of marauders is higher than the sniper.
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare
I probably worded my original post a little wrong. It seemed like as a marauder, you should never go anything else but annihilation. What I meant was, all marauders should use annihilation predominately. Carnage should be reserved for certain fights if you do not need the extra utility of annihilation and there is lots of downtime. My point to the person who responded to me there was if you compare the sniper utility to the marauder utility, the marauder utility will be much better than sniper utility, especially in annihilation spec. It really was a moot point anyway, because carnage marauders still have more utility than snipers.
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the utility idea and how you intended the original post to be received. I just read your section about Snipers as if they have zero group utility while they have one. However, Marauders are superior with their two group buffs (three if you count the healing effects of Berserk in Annihilation). Of course, Leathlity and Hybrid out DPS Engineering in single-target any day.

tomofoureleven
02.14.2013 , 11:27 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the utility idea and how you intended the original post to be received. I just read your section about Snipers as if they have zero group utility while they have one. However, Marauders are superior with their two group buffs (three if you count the healing effects of Berserk in Annihilation). Of course, Leathlity and Hybrid out DPS Engineering in single-target any day.
I know Enginering Snipers arn't played that much but in my opinion they are thoroughly underated. They are slightly behind (within 5%) in terms of single target dps. But they have:

2m30 Ballistic Shield
Easier energy management (Adreniline Probe on 1min CD)
30% stronger Shield Probe
Cooldown reset on Shield Probe
The best aoe in the game
6% reduced damage while in cover

Also,
Balistic Shield on some fights is totally useless, however on other fights, it can be the best group buff availible by far.

bbare
02.15.2013 , 08:30 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by tomofoureleven View Post
I know Enginering Snipers arn't played that much but in my opinion they are thoroughly underated. They are slightly behind (within 5%) in terms of single target dps. But they have:

2m30 Ballistic Shield
Easier energy management (Adreniline Probe on 1min CD)
30% stronger Shield Probe
Cooldown reset on Shield Probe
The best aoe in the game
6% reduced damage while in cover

Also,
Balistic Shield on some fights is totally useless, however on other fights, it can be the best group buff availible by far.
I don't know about 5%. I would like to see an engineer parse for 2100+ on the dummy before I can believe that. Better shield probe is nice, but honestly, a sniper shouldn't need a better shield probe in pve.
The Vanity Legacy

jasonthelamb
03.11.2013 , 05:58 AM | #14
I pull ~ 2400 DPS on my Juggernaut. Don't tell me it's only better than Op DPS.

arkitip
03.11.2013 , 09:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
I pull ~ 2400 DPS on my Juggernaut. Don't tell me it's only better than Op DPS.
Except for the part where you don't.

Omophorus
03.11.2013 , 11:17 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by arkitip View Post
Except for the part where you don't.
Maybe he means on PTS, or on Fabricator, or on Kephess the Undying.

In any of those situations, 2400 is entirely believable.

Otherwise.... no effin' way. No class reliably sustains 2400 DPS on any single target without boosted damage taken.

Unless he's talking about burst DPS, in which case 2400 is hardly noteworthy, and PT, Marauder, and Sniper would all like a word with him.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"

jasonthelamb
03.11.2013 , 03:47 PM | #17
2400 sustained on Firebrand and Stormcaller, easiest fight for a melee. My DPS probably bottoms out the dread council

JimmyTheCannon
03.11.2013 , 03:56 PM | #18
2400 sustained on Firebrand and Stormcaller, easiest fight for a melee. My DPS probably bottoms out the dread council
I'd love to see a parse of that.

arkitip
03.11.2013 , 11:04 PM | #19
Yeah no.

Omophorus
03.12.2013 , 08:33 AM | #20
Yeah, pretty much lost all credibility here.

Yes, F&C is a good fight for melee, but so are the Dread Guards if you do it right.

And in neither situation is 2400 even remotely achievable on live.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"