Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Overview of the Planet Makeb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Overview of the Planet Makeb
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sneakycheeks
03.10.2013 , 10:50 AM | #71
This sounds very awesome..glad that I preordered. Just wish that it would hurry up and go live already lol.

Joesixxpack
03.11.2013 , 12:35 PM | #72
Sounds good and intriguing so far.

Appreciate the overview format... some insights (without giving too much away of course) and no Soon, It's Exciting, etc. vanilla.

Interesting that it's a new addition rather than existing staples. I like that idea, and look forward to enjoying the results of this creative opportunity. Wouldn't mind seeing Kashyyk or however it's spelled down the road.

MFW I think about the Shadowlands potential in this game.

CourtneyWoods
03.11.2013 , 01:40 PM | #73 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by lucotas View Post
i would like to know if we will see world pvp on makeb. can you please tell us something about it?
Hey Lucotas,

If you are on a PvP server, Makeb is like any other shared Faction planet where you can participate in open world pvp.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

TUXs
03.11.2013 , 02:36 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey Lucotas,

If you are on a PvP server, Makeb is like any other shared Faction planet where you can participate in open world pvp.
Being able to "participate" isn't the issue Courtney....we can participate now virtually anywhere. Is it going to be promoted or encouraged in any form (via quests)? In order for world PvP to happen naturally, we need overlapping objectives and incentive that competes with WZ's - this is a gear progression game and without the ability to progress via world PvP, it won't happen with frequency. Does Makeb address this lack of any reward from PvP in any form?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

chuixupu
03.11.2013 , 02:59 PM | #75
I'd think that if there was something like that, they would have said it by now, so I'm guessing no.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

CourtneyWoods
03.11.2013 , 03:13 PM | #76 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Being able to "participate" isn't the issue Courtney....we can participate now virtually anywhere. Is it going to be promoted or encouraged in any form (via quests)? In order for world PvP to happen naturally, we need overlapping objectives and incentive that competes with WZ's - this is a gear progression game and without the ability to progress via world PvP, it won't happen with frequency. Does Makeb address this lack of any reward from PvP in any form?
Hey TUXs,

Unfortunately, I don't think Makeb quite fits your specific requests. As I stated previously, it offers similar open world PvP to other same faction planets in our game.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Relics of the Gree event. This was definitely a step forward for us in creating an event which had incentives for Open World PvP.

As Chuixupu said, something like what you were describing would be something we would definitely have an announcement around and we have no information right now on any systems like that for Makeb.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

JimG
03.11.2013 , 03:48 PM | #77
In order for world PvP to happen naturally, we need overlapping objectives and incentive that competes with WZ's - this is a gear progression game and without the ability to progress via world PvP, it won't happen with frequency. Does Makeb address this lack of any reward from PvP in any form?
The rewards from open world PVP should never be equivalent or competitive with WZ rewards. Any attempts at open world PVP in this game have repeatedly demonstrated that many people will just trade objectives, kills, etc. to get the open world PVP rewards without actually PVP'ing at all.

Icebergy
03.11.2013 , 04:17 PM | #78
If it needs to be promoted so much, isn't this a hint that people just don't want it?
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Mevan
03.11.2013 , 04:43 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
If it needs to be promoted so much, isn't this a hint that people just don't want it?
^^This.

DanNV
03.11.2013 , 05:18 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
I would be curious to hear your thoughts on the Relics of the Gree event. This was definitely a step forward for us in creating an event which had incentives for Open World PvP.

As Chuixupu said, something like what you were describing would be something we would definitely have an announcement around and we have no information right now on any systems like that for Makeb.
Not the OP, but IMO the Gree event Open World PVP is a major fail on the part of BW. What it did on my server is ruined the reputation of several players and a couple of guilds. The non-PVP players now not only dislike open world PVP and the people who want it, but activiely hate them. Putting a PVE quest in a PVP area doesn't encourage PVP. It encourages people to get angry because they don't want to participate in PVP to complete PVE quests. Those who just wanted to complete the PVE quests are terribly upset with the people who would group up and attack any single player they could find in the PVP area. What were you thinking? Honestly, what were you thinking? That portion of an otherwise good event was a disaster, pure and simple. Try listneing to the assorted podcasts out there. I haven't heard one that gave that part a favorable review but all have given great descriptions of why it was a disaster for the game and players.

My suggestion, leave open-workd PVP to PVP servers. Remove open world PVP areas from PVE servers. Let people who want to PVP all the time move to PVP servers for free. You already knwo how to migrate characters from server to server.

On PVE servers, let people flag for PVP if they want to but don't have antywhere they are forced into it outside of warzones and certainly don't put PVE quests in PVP areas. While you're at it, fix the bugs that flag people for PVP when some abusive moron flagged for PVP jumps into their AOE to purporsely get the other player flagged or when they heal someone flagged for PVP outside a PVP area. Honestly, these have been issues for so long you'd think they'd have been fixed way before now.

Give these issues some thoguht before you put the Gree back out or cme up with some other brilliant idea that mizes PVE and PVP players. Mixing the two in one area simply makes for a lot of angry players, a lot of name calling on both sides and a lot fo hurt feelings. Somehow none of these things seem like a good idea for a game that requires a happy community for the game to continue.