Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LadyKulvax
03.11.2013 , 06:54 AM | #331
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I have read different numbers. I also read they needed around 2m subs to operate a healthy game so whatever the numbers exactly were, they were too low and continuously sinking, at least during the first few months.
That is completely and utterly false, they stated 500k subs would keep the game profitable.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Lent_San
03.11.2013 , 07:10 AM | #332
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
That is completely and utterly false, they stated 500k subs would keep the game profitable.
I guess we read different numbers then.

Rabenschwinge
03.11.2013 , 08:14 AM | #333
From what I've heard LadyKulvax is right on this one - except for WoW SW:TOR is economically seen the most succesful MMOG in existance. The subscriber number never dropped beneath 500k. In fact, it didn't get anywhere near that even though the did express vaguely. Yes, the subscriber number was declining, but they in every single months comfortably above their break even. And the break even is indeed 500k measured in subscriptions, which is unusual, because that's a lot more than the vast majority of games, which get along with 100k.

From EAs point of view SW:TOR is very profitable. I've read that it's among the top ten of their most profitable titles - but not among their top five.

Lent_San
03.11.2013 , 08:18 AM | #334
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
From what I've heard LadyKulvax is right on this one - except for WoW SW:TOR is economically seen the most succesful MMOG in existance. The subscriber number never dropped beneath 500k. In fact, it didn't get anywhere near that even though the did express vaguely. Yes, the subscriber number was declining, but they in every single months comfortably above their break even. And the break even is indeed 500k measured in subscriptions, which is unusual, because that's a lot more than the vast majority of games, which get along with 100k.
True, this is the case now with a switch to F2P. But had the game been healthy in any way a year ago, they wouldn't have let half of the staff go and had never gone F2P in the first place.

Anyways, we're off topic. Let's return to the topic of this thread, guys.

Rabenschwinge
03.11.2013 , 08:36 AM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
True, this is the case now with a switch to F2P. But had the game been healthy in any way a year ago, they wouldn't have let half of the staff go and had never gone F2P in the first place.

Anyways, we're off topic. Let's return to the topic of this thread, guys.
There are no solid, official numbers which show the development since F2P yet.

No, this is the state in last autumn. The game has always been successful, just not as successful as they started with and their numbers were declining. But SW:TOR never wrote red numbers, not for a month, and certainly not for a quarter. But it is still the second most successful MMO in existance.

jason_ralph
03.11.2013 , 08:52 AM | #336
Having read page after page prior to posting, I still feel if you couldn't please all sides, none should have got anything. However, that's not what we have. It now places, in my opinion, the community in a awkward position. You have players like me who support SGR, it's just I don't want companions to suddenly make a pass at me out of the blue. It's nothing personal. It just not the relationship I have with them. But, that has to do with how I view my BH, SI, Trooper, & JC. I get others will disagree, but yeah. It'll feel weird if the OGR romances came up and did that too..

While I don't care if you romance Andros or Gault, that doesn't mean I want to, and honestly? That's not a conversation I want to have with them. In another play through? Sure. The one I'm currently on? Nope. They're battle buddies. They roll with me because I KNOW they will get me into trouble. That's why their my companions.

Any ways, if current players can't romance them, that means those who wanted to romance have to reroll, and honestly? That's jacked up. But if you can, you have players like me who sailed past that point and would rather not go there just because we can. Will I next time? Yep. Now? Nope. Just makes this awkward no matter how it is handled. It'll be another Anders, and I'd rather not go there.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Tatile
03.11.2013 , 12:22 PM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by jason_ralph View Post
You players like me who support SGR, it's just I don't want companions to suddenly make a pass at me out of the blue.
I was under the impression that every romance in SWTOR needs the player to initiate it (with the exception of Aric Jorgan and Corso Riggs who trick female characters into romances) - not the companion. If you're afraid of being tricked into the romance, as Aric and Corso can for female characters, then write to Bioware and make them aware of that dirty little part of those characters.

Just because the male companions are a romance option for you to choose if you wish, does not mean they're going to harass you into submission. Unless maybe it's Corso.

Lent_San
03.11.2013 , 12:55 PM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Just because the male companions are a romance option for you to choose if you wish, does not mean they're going to harass you into submission. Unless maybe it's Corso.
*coughs* Where can I subscribe?

Jk...

Well, this whole tricking into a relationship thing... Smuggler guy has needed quite a few conversations to convince Risha he's not into her.

Maybe that's a general problem with these romances. A bit annoying maybe, but no game breaker for me.

Bytemite
03.11.2013 , 02:43 PM | #339
Ugh Corso. Why is it I dislike everything about that guy? Is it the white knighting, manipulation, and inability to give a straight answer when you can spot all the inconsistencies in his stories from like a mile away? Thank goodness you can shut down the romance option early on, because there was no way that was going to work out with a determined and independent smuggler tomboy, lightside or not.

I know why you have that idea and while it could be done quite well, I think it would too easily lend itself to an abusive power dynamic. I'm not saying it shouldn't be ruled out, but the story start itself seems, to me, to be a bit problematic.

Also, how would those post-50 get the companion? For some classes this doesn't make sense - my Phantom would have far better security than that, but the Mantis (BH ship?) seems like a leaky rust-bucket.
Less abusive than all the teacher/student employer/employee military officer/subordinate relationships?

As for after 50, same way you get HK as a companion. You unlock them, probably with a cartel purchase. Which would be my point when I said make two same sex romance characters unlockable.

The stowaway idea isn't integral, it was just a possible introduction storyline

Rabenschwinge
03.11.2013 , 02:54 PM | #340
I was under the impression that every romance in SWTOR needs the player to initiate it (with the exception of Aric Jorgan and Corso Riggs who trick female characters into romances) - not the companion. If you're afraid of being tricked into the romance, as Aric and Corso can for female characters, then write to Bioware and make them aware of that dirty little part of those characters.

Doc can become quite annoying until you have the chance to shoot him down with a female Jedi Knight... and I am pretty certain I never clicked a flirt option. My smuggler is pretty low level yet and so far I have no reason to dislike Corso - in fact I am not 100% whether she'd want to say no, even though he's got the wrong species.