Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW/EA. Makeb Story: How exactly are the Republic winning? (possible spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BW/EA. Makeb Story: How exactly are the Republic winning? (possible spoilers)

mentalmackem
03.11.2013 , 07:14 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Magnusheart View Post
I have played both sides to 50, and I honestly do NOT see how the republic is really /Winning/ like you claim the republic are in the game.

80% of story events are changed to fit player faction, conclusion of flashpoints etc. there isn't a definitive what side did what outside of faction specific flashpoints

i.e. both sides can fight malgus, and both can claim they did via the flashpoint.

from what I gathered through sw/jk/smugg storylines of personal playthroughs and reading others.. Warning spoilers may be labeled

Lastly, I have a broken pinkie atm, so if there are errors in spelling my apologies.

theses victories are not including to my best degree player based story gamechangers that only the player can chose.

REPUBLIC Victories.
Spoiler

EMPIRE Victories
Spoiler

Now then, lets get to the key points here on the largest advantage/disadvantage.[Spoilers]

Republic: Grand Moff Killed, Emperor "killed" Balmorra reclaimed, own the largest arms factory in the story atm

Empire: "killed" Revan, Own the game changing Star Forge of assault droids,

even if they have to manually rewire the hard-wiring Revan put into the droids to stop them from targeting sith dna. This has horribly given the empire an advantage as they can send armies of advanced droids in place of people at the cost of little resources.

By all means, Bioware. I would loved a defined "LIST" of who did what cannonly of events to show how exactly, are the republic winning? the wins/losses vary greatly. But I feel the Empire still has a larger edge especially with the emperor's body swapping superpower in which, if he really didn't die, I'd prefer if Revan didn't die either, that would be a good totem of balancing.

what do you guys think? How exactly are the Empire really losing story wise so far besides some of the infighting.
Are the Empire really losing or is it just perception??

Spoiler

Galbatorrix
03.11.2013 , 08:16 AM | #22
The Empire is not only fighting the Republic, but also themselves. That's why the Republic is winning. They're more organized and their resolve is all pointed in one direction. The Empire's victories before the treaty obviously made them over confident and power hungry. The Republic banded together and is taking full advantage.

darkov
03.11.2013 , 08:48 AM | #23
Everyone here has also neglected to mention that the Jedi Consular brings new allies to the battle as well.

All in all, there is much more success for the war effort on the Republic side than the Imperial side, whether you include the flashpoint outcomes or not.

I don't think they are winning by much though, but it is clear that the Empire's position is significantly weaker at the end of the game than the beginning. Makeb is likely to even things up though, as the Empire know it is valuable and the Republic doesn't.

mentalmackem
03.11.2013 , 08:51 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
The Empire is not only fighting the Republic, but also themselves. That's why the Republic is winning. They're more organized and their resolve is all pointed in one direction. The Empire's victories before the treaty obviously made them over confident and power hungry. The Republic banded together and is taking full advantage.
The is and always has been infighting between the Sith as they fight for power.

Spoiler

mentalmackem
03.11.2013 , 08:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
OP hasn't really paid too much attention has s/he?

Pretty obvious Republic is winning and wins in the end.
If your talking about the republic winning in the end of the entire star wars story so far (after the first galactic civil war) then that isn't exactly true, the republic becomes the first Galactic empire and a lot of the Republic reaming in the first galactic empire, it is rebels that win the first galactic civil war, not the republic.

Nydus
03.11.2013 , 09:06 AM | #26
I agree with the majority of commentary on this thread.

But lets be brutally honest, given the continual infighting amongst the Imperials it is amazing they haven't lost completely. Not only does the leadership caste of the Empire refuse to co-operate in battle (often resulting in needless causalities), you have Darths decimating entire Imperial planets and fleets to gain political advantage.

And I'm not even getting into the events surrounding Malgus on Ilum!

I have to say, the Empire in this game is one of the worst run organizations I've seen. Citizens are killed at random in the capital city for sport, soldiers with long and decorated careers can be executed for failing to meet an impossible objective, and the leadership of the organization seems to revel in this chaos.

Any advantage they had at the start of the conflict has been squandered. Order and planning win wars, and I Empire does not demonstrate a capacity for enforcing either.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

mentalmackem
03.11.2013 , 09:15 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
I agree with the majority of commentary on this thread.

But lets be brutally honest, given the continual infighting amongst the Imperials it is amazing they haven't lost completely. Not only does the leadership caste of the Empire refuse to co-operate in battle (often resulting in needless causalities), you have Darths decimating entire Imperial planets and fleets to gain political advantage.

And I'm not even getting into the events surrounding Malgus on Ilum!

I have to say, the Empire in this game is one of the worst run organizations I've seen. Citizens are killed at random in the capital city for sport, soldiers with long and decorated careers can be executed for failing to meet an impossible objective, and the leadership of the organization seems to revel in this chaos.

Any advantage they had at the start of the conflict has been squandered. Order and planning win wars, and I Empire does not demonstrate a capacity for enforcing either.

- Arcada
If you have not already I recommend reading the book Decieved, it basically explains why malgus has the views he has now.

Arlon_Nabarlly
03.11.2013 , 09:22 AM | #28
You have to realize all the storylines aren't happening at the same time. So some of the Sith victories were early on where as a lot of Republic victories came later on.

ZionHalcyon
03.11.2013 , 09:26 AM | #29
The idea here is the republic has turned the tide and now has the advantage.

Think about it this way, and yes, spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

ZionHalcyon
03.11.2013 , 09:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
You have to realize all the storylines aren't happening at the same time. So some of the Sith victories were early on where as a lot of Republic victories came later on.
This is very true.

Plus I forgot to mention in my last post -

Spoiler

That alone shows all the stories take place in different overlapping timelines.