Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

MarvelZombie
02.19.2013 , 09:29 PM | #31
I agree with those that feel Act I of the Smuggler story was pretty good (featuring stolen ships, smuggling, crime lords, etc...), but Act 2 and 3 become much more generic as you become more aligned with the Republic and end up working for them the rest of the way, just like Han Sol....waitaminute...!!!!!

Yeah - it's written that way because it's basically Han's story arc from Episode IV through VI. Personally, I would have preferred to be more involved with bounty hunters, smugglers, crime lords, Hutts, underwolrd, etc.... throughout all acts than get so much Empire/Sith....save that for the Jedi/Trooper classes.

Speaking of Jedi, my only other 50 is the Jedi Knight...and man did that get boring! You start out saving worlds from death machines......and you do it again and again and again and again. It just loses impact after saving the third planet or whatever.

Anyhoo - based on the general consensus, Imperial Agent is the best story and I'll be giving it a shot next. Unfortunately, it's the mirror class to the Smuggler that I've played to death......

Neo_Hacker
02.19.2013 , 09:58 PM | #32
I'm sorry to hear about how much people don't enjoy the smuggler. I just recently got my smuggler (also my first character) to level 50 and I loved everything. I loved all of the witty one liners and how my gunslinger could put out more damage than Darth Vader on Kashyyyk (Force Unleashed Reference). I loved the Han Solo story arc and I felt the companions were perfect. I hope you can find a class you like and stop badmouthing the one I personally love.
"Suggestion: Perhaps we could dismember the organic? It would make it easier for transport to the surface."
- Mercenary "Hey! Y-you... you can't just rip me to pieces! I'll die!"
- HK-47 "Amendment: I did forget that. Stupid, frail, non-compartmentalized organic meatbags!

PhaseSpace
03.10.2013 , 08:53 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by depth_mil View Post
There's not really any particularly sensible motivation or reasoning for why the republic military seems to trust some random civilian an awful lot in the general quests etc.
Exactly! I just got done with Alderaan and I had Republic Generals sending me out to kill Sith for goodness sake. This is nearly the most unrealistic thing you could ask a fatass smuggler to do and it's for sure not the kind of job a smuggler would take on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Keiori View Post
How have you not smuggled anything? Did you not have the head in the jar, or the monster thing in the cage?
Smuggling means to export or import secretly and illegally. Things like the head in the jar are just plot items that only exist while the script calls for them.
Weapons Grade Humanity

drug_cartel
03.11.2013 , 03:20 AM | #34
The biggest flaw I felt in the Smuggler story was a lack of motivation.

Han Solo doubles back to the death star, joins the rebellion, and battles the Empire ultimately because he cares for Leia.

Lando regrets his dealings with the Empire, betrays their confidence, blows up the death star and joins the rebellion ultimately out of his anger towards Vader over the betrayal.

With the Smuggler Class story, we go through a similar turn away from our shadey dealings and become loyal soldiers for the Republic, but we're never really given a good reason why. We need a bad guy on the Imperial side that turns something personal, so that helping the Republic also seems like it's in our own best interest. Or we need our Romance companions to be more loyal to the Republic and nudging us along the path of the hero.

Spoiler

Now, instead, if...

Spoiler

I feel like, at the end of the day, if my Smuggler is to be helping the Republic, that is fine. But he should be doing it for reasons more personal than "patriotism".

iconocast
03.24.2013 , 07:49 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by drug_cartel View Post
With the Smuggler Class story, we go through a similar turn away from our shadey dealings and become loyal soldiers for the Republic, but we're never really given a good reason why. We need a bad guy on the Imperial side that turns something personal, so that helping the Republic also seems like it's in our own best interest. Or we need our Romance companions to be more loyal to the Republic and nudging us along the path of the hero.
there is a reason u turn to help the republic, and im amazed that ppl dont pay attention tot he story line ( even tho i will admit it felt a littl rushed)
Spoiler

Rykko
03.25.2013 , 07:47 PM | #36
I loved Smuggler Chapter 1.

I can barely remember anything from the Agent story it was so bland and predictable where Smuggler has so many epic cutscenes and a chapter 1 boss I actually cared about killing.

All the twists in the Agent story were heavily and clumsily telegraphed and the last boss can be defeated with the no cost rifle shot.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

Chiramu
03.26.2013 , 03:48 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by iconocast View Post
there is a reason u turn to help the republic, and im amazed that ppl dont pay attention tot he story line ( even tho i will admit it felt a littl rushed)
Spoiler
No they didn't, they said that they would ignore your criminal history...

drug_cartel
03.27.2013 , 01:49 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiramu View Post
No they didn't, they said that they would ignore your criminal history...
Exactly. And turn a blind eye to some of our shadier dealings while we're doing their dirty work.

Still, I'm left with absolutely no motivation to help them.

I am not afraid of Rogun the Butcher; I just inherited Nok Drayen's wealth and I've got his daughter full of knowledge at my disposal.
I am confident I can escape the Voidwolf; I'm the new King of the Underworld.
I do not need the Republic to give me a legal pardon; they would have to catch me first and they've got their hands full.
Republic isn't paying; their great offer was that I could keep some of what I find. When I work without them, I can keep ALL of what I find.

The fact is, Han doesn't double back and help rebellion out of the goodness of his heart; he does it because he has a thing for Leia. My girl is already on my ship and gets a bit annoyed when I risk our lives to help people out with nothing in it for me. The classic Smugglers like Han and Lando have a change of heart, but they have a reason why. We are never given one; that is why our own Smuggler story falls flat.

We're supposed to help the Republic because we are a.. ahem.. "Law Abiding Citizen".

KryloKillian
03.27.2013 , 02:16 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by drug_cartel View Post
Exactly. And turn a blind eye to some of our shadier dealings while we're doing their dirty work.

Still, I'm left with absolutely no motivation to help them.

I am not afraid of Rogun the Butcher; I just inherited Nok Drayen's wealth and I've got his daughter full of knowledge at my disposal.
I am confident I can escape the Voidwolf; I'm the new King of the Underworld.
I do not need the Republic to give me a legal pardon; they would have to catch me first and they've got their hands full.
Republic isn't paying; their great offer was that I could keep some of what I find. When I work without them, I can keep ALL of what I find.
You're not the King of the Underworld just because you found Drayen's wealth. You're not even close.

Further: Their offer was to point you toward extremely lucrative marks, let you keep a percentage of what you find on those marks, provide you with a pardon, and give you a Letter of Marque.

Without them you'd never find
Spoiler

It's a ridiculous promise of money, and yes, Darmas does, further, promise to continue helping you hunt down Rogun while you're working for the Republic.

So reasons to help the republic:

1: Mountains and mountains of money and opportunity you wouldn't otherwise have access to.
2:
Spoiler

3: A full legal pardon making any further illegal activities much easier.
4: A Letter of Marque, making you basically untouchable by Republic law enforcement, so long as you don't do anything treasonous.
5: There's no actual government oversight on Privateers, meaning you can easily skim even more off the top than you're already allowed, or flat out keep the Republic's 'cut', claiming it was never there
Spoiler

Reasons NOT to sign on as a Privateer

1: You'd rather run your life in 'hard mode'
2: ???
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good kick to the balls, kid.

dorpen
03.27.2013 , 02:17 AM | #40
Personally I never liked their explanation lore wise for why smugglers and bounty hunters are one faction only, and because of that it makes their story feel lacking to me.