Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Let's Talk Forum Rules

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
03.09.2013 , 09:09 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
-insert a bunch of rules-
I'm for the most part fine with that.
*reads on*
Quote:
- Threads and responses that are vulgar or sexual in nature.
AH, COME ON!!!!

On a more serious note, infraction points, do we start from scratch? Why I'm asking?
No reason >_>

HomicidalWhales's Avatar


HomicidalWhales
03.09.2013 , 09:20 PM | #32
I know you're giving us some leeway, but at least we should all start from scratch or the cap on infraction points should be increased a bit as the points to each infraction are a bit too extensive for a 15-point system.

Corrupted_Soul's Avatar


Corrupted_Soul
03.10.2013 , 03:36 AM | #33
What are the rules regarding data mined info? I see nothing saying not to mention it or no links to it, but out of caution I ask if this information is allowed to be posted to a thread.

Leonalis's Avatar


Leonalis
03.10.2013 , 08:02 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

As I am sure many of you have noticed, it has been the Community Team's goal to try a new direction in communication. We are aiming to speak with you more, in a more casual way, and with more information.

Some of you may have then wondered "what does this new approach mean for forum rules?" Actually, maybe none of you were asking that, but I am going to answer it anyway. The reason? Because that is going to change a bit as well.

Before I explain specifics I want to stress what our goals are for these forums. The forums are meant to be a place where people can come, express their opinions and have constructive discussions without fear of attack or harassment. Please always keep this in mind! Let's talk details:

Where we will be more lenient:
  • General "internet" style chatter. In the past we have been pretty harsh about some things, such as calling someone a "troll" or throwing out a "can I have your stuff?". We would remove these types of posts and they could possibly incur a warning or an infraction. In general, we are going to let this slide a bit more, but honestly you shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Just be respectful to each other.
  • Things that are usual forum "nonos" like bumping a thread or "necroing" an old post. We are not going to go as crazy actioning these types of things. That doesn't mean we won't just delete them with no notice. Again, don't do them, because if you are being disruptive, it can still lead to actions being taken against your account.
  • Posts that are often reported for trolling. These types of posts are not always the most constructive or involve direct feedback, but as long as they remain harmless and in good spirits we will err on the side of leaving them be.
Where we will continue to be very strict:
  • Any type of post or thread that is political or religious and this also includes analogies of the same type. I know some folks will not understand why we have this rule in place. The problem is that when you make a comparison which is religious or political in nature, it almost always derails that discussion into a religious or political one, which is something that just serves no purpose here. So please stay away from these types of posts as they will continue to be removed and will almost always include a warning or infraction.
  • Threads and responses that are vulgar or sexual in nature.
  • Threads where the only subject is another game or is very off-topic. At the end of the day this is still a STAR WARS: The Old Republic forum and so all threads should revolve around our game.
  • Callouts of any kind are strictly not permitted. This includes calling out specific players and guilds. To get one step further, even posts that appear to have good intent ("List of known ninja looters!") are still in violation of this rule and are not permitted. We want everyone to feel that the forums are a safe place for them and this type of post only serves to harass other players.
  • Intentionally posting false information in the hopes of "stirring up" the community. If it is very clear you have made a post with the intent of lying about facts in order to create disorder, your post will be removed and you will be actioned for it. This type of behavior only serves to incite negative reactions from our forum users.
  • Discussion of moderation is still not allowed.
New Infraction/Warning Structure

With our new policies in place on *what* we will action against, we are also making similar changes to our warning and infraction system. Although we are giving you a bit more freedom in what you can say, if you continually cross those lines you will be actioned appropriately.

In most cases, your first violation will net you a warning. This warning will remind you of what you have done and will act as a friendly reminder to avoid this type of behavior. (For severe violations, a user may skip receiving a warning and go right to an infraction.)

After you have received a warning, if you do something else which violates our forum rules, you will receive an infraction. All infractions are now worth 5 points each and suspensions will work as follows:

5 points - 3 day suspension
10 points - 7 day suspension
15 points - Permanent ban

TLDR: We want to provide the opportunity for all of you to be able to express your opinions, even disagreements, in a way that does not have you in fear of being reprimanded. However, even with this leeway we will not tolerate players making hurtful statements, harassing, or directly attacking each other in a way that is not constructive.

One thing I need to make very clear is that even with this change in forum rules, this does not change any warnings or infractions that you received previously. All of those will still stand and will not be reversed based on the new rules.

I hope that all of this makes sense as I tried to spell it out as clearly as I could.

-eric and the Community Team
Still waiting for a german Version.

I know it is not easy to translate this:

Quote:
"We are aiming to speak with you more, in a more casual way, and with more information."

Erlestoke's Avatar


Erlestoke
03.10.2013 , 01:00 PM | #35
To be clear, This suspension and/or ban is just on the forums and not the game?
Don't tread on me.

Aragorrius's Avatar


Aragorrius
03.10.2013 , 01:05 PM | #36
I'd rather have no Ninja looters on the Forums.
Guild - Floor Inspectors // Server: Tomb of Freedon Nadd //
55 Marauder - Aragorias // // 55 Operative - Supersail // 55 Juggernaut - Sazed // 55 Assassin - Jennyfred // 55 Chiss Merc - Aragorius // 45 Mirialan Sith Sorc - Fredo'Paawn etc

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
03.10.2013 , 02:48 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Erlestoke View Post
To be clear, This suspension and/or ban is just on the forums and not the game?
Fairly certain it's forums only.

That being said, that includes the CS forum so it does affect your gameplay if you need help.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

s_w_sanders's Avatar


s_w_sanders
03.10.2013 , 06:44 PM | #38
I have questions.

1. What are the specific things that can get you to skip over a warning and go straight to ban? (I want specifics).

2. What will keep you from abusing said power over the forums? I've seen a lot of moderators who don't like something and someone is banned or warned and it violated no rule on forums. What would stop you from doing this?

3. Who is your acting supervisor and how would we contact him if you abused your power?

4. Can we vote on if we can keep certain trolls?

Now I know this may sound like i'm attacking you or distrust you (I do, I trust very few people) but i've seen power abused by many people in positions of authority and believe that we must keep a system of checks and balances in place to keep that from happening. I also believe in very specific guidelines in place so people understand what and how they violated rules.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
03.10.2013 , 08:09 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
I have questions.

1. What are the specific things that can get you to skip over a warning and go straight to ban? (I want specifics).

2. What will keep you from abusing said power over the forums? I've seen a lot of moderators who don't like something and someone is banned or warned and it violated no rule on forums. What would stop you from doing this?

3. Who is your acting supervisor and how would we contact him if you abused your power?

4. Can we vote on if we can keep certain trolls?

Now I know this may sound like i'm attacking you or distrust you (I do, I trust very few people) but i've seen power abused by many people in positions of authority and believe that we must keep a system of checks and balances in place to keep that from happening. I also believe in very specific guidelines in place so people understand what and how they violated rules.
First off I think your tone is a bit intimidating and your line of questioning is a bit direct. Now I understand what you would want answers to those things but the fact of the matter is he won't reveal their polices on banning nor will he comment about his supervisor. The reason being is that it that is internal practices that we as players don't need to know. You yourself mentioned you don't trust most people but with all due respect Eric is not obligated to tell you anything just for your own reassurance.

On the whole I am glad they giving some leeway and being a little more transparent about it. But what your asking is simply not appropriate for discussion on the public forums. But if you messaged him privately maybe he will answer you.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

s_w_sanders's Avatar


s_w_sanders
03.10.2013 , 10:52 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
First off I think your tone is a bit intimidating and your line of questioning is a bit direct. Now I understand what you would want answers to those things but the fact of the matter is he won't reveal their polices on banning nor will he comment about his supervisor. The reason being is that it that is internal practices that we as players don't need to know. You yourself mentioned you don't trust most people but with all due respect Eric is not obligated to tell you anything just for your own reassurance.

On the whole I am glad they giving some leeway and being a little more transparent about it. But what your asking is simply not appropriate for discussion on the public forums. But if you messaged him privately maybe he will answer you.
I disagree, I think everyone on the forums should know the answers to these questions. I wasn't intimidating I was direct, I'm not going to dance around to get my questions answered. These tell you the future of these forums, and his answers to my questions tell me if the forums are good or bad (no matter what the answers are).