Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism - DEFINED

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community
e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism - DEFINED

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.10.2013 , 06:27 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
...

So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have, whether the average Joe earned it or not because then Elite Gaming guilds wouldn't feel so elite.
While I don't discount any experience you may have had along this line, I just haven't seen it.

I've never been part of an "elite raiding guild." I've never been even remotely close to those "server first" raiders, and I've generally been a part of groups that are more friends than they are any sort of "super hardcore"

The reason my friends and I keep playing end-game content is for the challenge and for the camaraderie. The reason I'm in favor of some of the changes Bioware is doing (can't RE 72 gear) is because it will increase the challenge of the game for myself and my friends. I think it is good for the game.

It's not about squashing other people. It's about challenging ourselves. When you say something like "So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have" it just sounds like whinging to me.

Your statement doesn't apply to any of the people I know.

JMCH's Avatar


JMCH
03.10.2013 , 07:02 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
if you are not complaining, why make this post?

this game has catered to the super-casual more than enough. if you want the new gear, do the new content. it is as simple as that.

if a person does not like grouping or doing group content, they have the completely wrong genre of game.
Actually, it's the game which doesn't cope with most of its player base, but most of it simply approve anything, explicitly or implicitly.

Look closely, you'll see way more than just brainless raiders in SWTOR, and some raiders having alts already understood even for them this is just totally wrong. MONTHS farming the same 2 instances with the same 7/15 other players isn't a game anymore, and when you have to do the same on multiple toons it's even worse.

As an altaholic crafter with a massive time investment inside the game, this is the absolute wrong direction, but the game started with flaws and some of them are now hardly fixable. What this will cause is a massive unsub of half-geared toons waiting for the next patch to bring them to top tier gear in no time, then again the same thing unless a different approach is taken in the meantime. Subscribers need to keep their subs running, not unsub/resub each new content patch.

Elfa's Avatar


Elfa
03.11.2013 , 11:24 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
While I don't discount any experience you may have had along this line, I just haven't seen it.

I've never been part of an "elite raiding guild." I've never been even remotely close to those "server first" raiders, and I've generally been a part of groups that are more friends than they are any sort of "super hardcore"

The reason my friends and I keep playing end-game content is for the challenge and for the camaraderie. The reason I'm in favor of some of the changes Bioware is doing (can't RE 72 gear) is because it will increase the challenge of the game for myself and my friends. I think it is good for the game.

It's not about squashing other people. It's about challenging ourselves. When you say something like "So, what this all really comes down to are elite raiding guilds not wanting the average Joe to be able to have what they have" it just sounds like whinging to me.

Your statement doesn't apply to any of the people I know.
How challenging content is, also has nothing to do with what the rewards are.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Calm down, I'd hardly call that whining. He just asked a question. Go have a coffee and calm down. Jeepers.
Lunafox nailed it. This is correct.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.11.2013 , 11:54 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
How challenging content is, also has nothing to do with what the rewards are.
The challenge I was referring to, is actually running the content in 69 gear, as designed.

This has the side benefit, of when 72 gear drops in the raid, everyone is excited to roll on it, as opposed to "meh I already haz a gear"

Everyone likes Teh New Shiney. Everyone likes to beat the bad guys. If you're having a hard time, you have three choices:

1. Get better gear.
2. Become a better player.
3. Get a better team.

There were may times during HM TfB and NM EC that my group was having troubles and so kept buying and/or crafting 63 gear to help us overcome obstacles. Had that not been available, we would have had to work harder to actually beat the content.

I think this is a good thing (the working harder part).

A number of your posts deride those in favor of non-craftable 72s as "it's all about the elite trying to prevent the non-elite from having stuff". I just don't see that. And it especially doesn't hold water for any of the people I raid with.

Nydus's Avatar


Nydus
03.11.2013 , 12:09 PM | #15
Why is elitism a pejorative?

I could name several people who deserve favoured treatment for their accomplishments.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
04.04.2013 , 04:27 PM | #16
To me, Eliticim istz like saying to someone. "You are bad. And I am so good that I can judge that how bad you are from 10 miles being away from you."

DeadDogBarking's Avatar


DeadDogBarking
05.01.2013 , 10:47 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
if you are not complaining, why make this post?.
Is this our reason for communication. I think the post was a reminder we ALL need to remember that if something rubs us the wrong way it may be our perception of the issues not those that are involved.

But if I see one more idiot that was always last picked for a sports team point out somebody's spelling error or God forbid spell everything in blue on a brown background, I will remind you that I am a subscriber and will threaten to leave like the bizillions before me.