Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i love the prequels as much as the originals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
i love the prequels as much as the originals

Wolfninjajedi
03.08.2013 , 12:01 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
The voice was intentional, and quite hilarious. I think the allusion was that he was some elderly ******/serial killer type. But also a grandfather... basically just a running gag throughout the reviews.

And watching an entertaining review which happens to highlight the awful flaws of the prequels isn't having my opinion come from "some guy on the internet", I just happen to agree with everything he says, and he says in an entertaining manner. Of course it's just his opinion, but he backs it up with specific, detailed examples and conducts a thorough review of the films. Aside from the jokes and creepy voice, the reviews are orderly and address the logical issues with the plot and directing in the prequel trilogy.

[/COLOR]
I probably should have clairfied, not EVERYONE but it seems that a lot of people just seem to point to those reviews instead of giving their own views on the PT. Though I am not really interested in watching them, mostly cause I really cannot stand his voice, I would like to know these points with which he makes. Am not addressing you to do them specifically, this is more a general post here so if anyone cares to bring up the points I would like to give them a read, doesn't need to be detailed, bullet points would be fine.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Ventessel
03.09.2013 , 07:51 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I probably should have clairfied, not EVERYONE but it seems that a lot of people just seem to point to those reviews instead of giving their own views on the PT. Though I am not really interested in watching them, mostly cause I really cannot stand his voice, I would like to know these points with which he makes. Am not addressing you to do them specifically, this is more a general post here so if anyone cares to bring up the points I would like to give them a read, doesn't need to be detailed, bullet points would be fine.
I'd love to give you a breakdown of them, but they're rather long and go into detail on each point. I don't have the time to do a comprehensive overview, but hopefully someone can make a "Cliff Notes to Red Letter Media".
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

BradTheImpaler
03.09.2013 , 08:56 PM | #33
I agree...I think mostly, I agree, or I would if I knew what the OP was saying. Run-on sentence? Try run-on paragraph!
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Ventessel
03.10.2013 , 04:59 AM | #34
There is one comma. Just one comma! No other punctuation or capitalization whatsoever...
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

LadyDrusilla
03.10.2013 , 07:27 AM | #35
I think the prequels are quite under-rated. Certainly they aren't as good as the original films (which are ironically somewhat over-rated, I mean ANH was just literally just a case of a fairy tale 'rescue the princess, defeat the evil king' transplanted into a scifi setting) but they are entertaining and enjoyable enough if you don't go in with ridiculous expectations of some kind of cinematic masterpiece. Which the original films were not.

Which isn't to say the prequels do not have issues, I find the best way to cope with them is to forward through the Anakin and Jar Jar scenes in EpI and the romance scenes in EpII and you get a much better experience. EpIII is actually one of my favourite films in the whole series and there is nothing particularly wrong with it. Watching Order 66 being enacted chills me to the core every time and I don't even like Jedi much (except Aayla Secura and Ahsoka).

I'd give the original film trilogy and a 4 out of 5 and the prequels 3 out of five. Not great but not the monstrosities the fanbois like to make out.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 09:13 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDrusilla View Post
I'd give the original film trilogy and a 4 out of 5 and the prequels 3 out of five. Not great but not the monstrosities the fanbois like to make out.
Exactly, people hate on these films like they were the worst things ever made. Compared to other sci-fi films out there they're pretty impressive. But as always people insist on comparing them to their rosy-coloured view of the Original Trilogy.

Ventessel
03.10.2013 , 11:02 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Exactly, people hate on these films like they were the worst things ever made. Compared to other sci-fi films out there they're pretty impressive. But as always people insist on comparing them to their rosy-coloured view of the Original Trilogy.
I've never had a professor reference the prequels for examples of good cinematic tension, or characterization, or meaningful use of camera angles for story telling purposes. Interestingly enough, The Empire Strikes back is frequently referenced for these purposes, and the conclusion of ANH is considered one of the tightest editing sequences in terms of wrapping up all the emotional tension of the entire movie in one swoop, all set to John William's brilliant score.

The problem with the prequels is that they're chock full of great sci-fi visuals, but there is no emotional tension. There's just flat action sequences interspersed with irrelevant dialogue, shot from uninspired camera angles against a green screen. If there had been the time taken to build up the characters, and to invest the audience emotionally in the conflicts at hand, then the action sequences would be exciting, because there would be something at stake.

Allow me to compare the concluding duels of both trilogies; Luke vs. Vader on the Death Star and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan on Mustafar.

In the original, you have Luke Skywalker, the protagonist we've gotten to know over the whole series. He's a little whiny at first, but he matures considerably and forges fast friendships with Han and the other Rebels. He confronts his father, whom he has been instructed by Yoda to kill, but willingly surrenders because he wants to redeem Darth Vader. The Emperor threatens his friends, reveals that it was a trap (heh heh), and enrages Luke until he attacks him with his "Jedi weapon" (I always liked that the Emperor disdained lightsabers, it made him seem more menacing. None of the nonsense with him dueling people when he could kill with the Force).

They duel, and the fight ebbs and flows. Luke realizes that he won't kill Vader, and so he disengages and refuses to fight. Vader taunts him, and then threatens Leia. This draws Luke out, and he savagely beats down Vader and cuts off his hand. Then he realizes that he is becoming his father, giving in to his anger for the Emperor's amusement. Again, he refuses to comply, and throws away his weapon. He is the image of a Jedi Knight, victorious in battle but still valiantly resisting the Emperor's will. His journey is complete, he has gone from the farmboy to being the first of the new Jedi (the Jedi have, you know, Returned.)

Contrast this with Revenge of the Sith. Obi-Wan goes to confront Vader, again on Yoda's wishes. However, he doesn't really try to redeem him, they just argue and pose a little before starting their duel. Intense, super fast swordplay ensues. It goes on as they fight their way across the base, flash flash flash, almost faster than you can really process. There's no real tension though, since you know Obi-Wan cripples Vader. The fight is extended so long, so ceaselessly that it ceases to be interesting. They swashbuckle and swing from cables. They balance on dangerous platforms and jump between hovering platforms, but the status quo never changes from the first moment they crossed blades. The whole duel could have happened on the landing platform.

The only interesting part of the duel comes at the very end. Finally, Obi-Wan breaks off and takes the high ground. Vader, arrogant as usual, attempts to leap to him and gets dismembered. Obi-Wan leaves. Not all that exciting really, given the amount of screen time devoted to the duel.

Kaedusz
03.10.2013 , 11:56 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

I think the problem is a lot of people take too much of Star Wars for granted. The Original Trilogy was such a big hit because it was new and exciting, with incredibly imaginative concepts and amazing visuals. But now we just take all that for granted, completely ignoring all the amazing new concepts that the Prequels brought to the universe - the Rule of Two, clone and droid armies, warships and dreadnoughts, a galactic senate, the Geonosian Arena, the origins of the Death Star, the Jedi Temple - instead they just complain about bad acting, poor love stories etc. etc. But is that what Star Wars is really about? For me Star Wars is a concept, its much much more than just a movie.
^ what this guy said

Nydus
03.11.2013 , 12:48 PM | #39
I enjoy most of the Star Wars movies but not many of them are re-watchable in my opinion. I'm one of these people who likes the EU -- especially the Old Republic period -- more than the on-screen universe.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Beniboybling
03.11.2013 , 01:18 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
I enjoy most of the Star Wars movies but not many of them are re-watchable in my opinion. I'm one of these people who likes the EU -- especially the Old Republic period -- more than the on-screen universe.

- Arcada
I'm sort of in the same boat with you. While I love the Star Wars movies a lot, to me the games, books, movies etc. are all the same. Its all Star Wars. Like I said Star Wars is more than just a movie, its a concept.