Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Episode VII Cast News

Crawelc
03.09.2013 , 09:21 PM | #11
Personal problems dont make or unmake a Sue. Having just the right solution at just the right time no matter what the situation does. The EU is full of these characters, and Luke is just the most convinent one to bring up.
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.

Wolfninjajedi
03.09.2013 , 09:28 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Personal problems dont make or unmake a Sue. Having just the right solution at just the right time no matter what the situation does. The EU is full of these characters, and Luke is just the most convinent one to bring up.
So I guess being beaten by Palpatine and turning to the darkside, is having a solution to a problem? Anyway this isn't exactly the thread to talk about this so best to drop it.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Crawelc
03.09.2013 , 09:44 PM | #13
Will be interesting to see what Disney does. I like the EU stuff I have seen that is between the movies, but anything after I havent cared for. The one excption to that is kyle katarn the jedi knight storyline was the first one that interested me in the EU to begin with.
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 07:15 AM | #14
So the big three are on board know? I wonder what they'll be doing... I suppose its rather a given they'll make some sort of appearance.

But yeah, I wouldn't shed a tear is the majority post-ROTJ period was wiped clean. Granted their are some good parts e.g. Thrawn Trilogy, Mara Jade, which should remain. But there are some parts that just don't sit well with me e.g. the Yuzhavaza Vongado, Reborn Palpatine (which just flies in the face of the Original Trilogy), overpowered Luke Skywalker, Darth Krayt and his creepy army of goths etc. etc. its just lost touch with what Star Wars is all about.

Cavell
03.11.2013 , 04:00 AM | #15
Lucas has never regarded the EU as what actually happened to the characters from the films.

"And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." - George Lucas in Total Film, 2008.

Disney received a story treatment for the sequels as part of the sale of Lucasfilm, so it's a pretty good bet that the story as told will have nothing at all to do with the EU, and probably invalidate a lot of it.

I think it's good they're avoiding the post-RotJ EU stuff - which I universally dislike, aside from the Zahn novels - but I'm disappointed they're going back to the original characters. Time for new stories about new characters, rather than flogging the, "Luke and Han, they're so awesome, we want to see more of them!" line.

Ventessel
03.11.2013 , 07:58 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Decades of making money hand over fist on Mary Sue characters that have been milked for everything they are worth. I call for a reset personally. I dont see how that is hard to understand.
Yes, wipe the slate clean and brush off all the dead weight that's crept in with the novels/comics that really didn't contribute much to Star Wars aside from inundate us with recycled material from the films.

Oh, look! It's another Empire! Again! With slightly remodeled TIE Fighters!

No, no, wait! It's Luke Skywalker's grandson! Or his great-great grandson... Blech.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Selorian
03.16.2013 , 08:08 AM | #17
The thing that jumped out at me was that Lucas did a number of things prior to contacting Disney in order to ensure the sale went though.