Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Darth Malak

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Darth Malak

Ventessel
03.10.2013 , 05:15 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
Now, I have a question. (This is related to the actual Sith-y-ness of Malak.)

While it is known that Revan and Malak were pawns of the Emporer, the question rises: Are Revan and Malak true Sith or just Dark Jedi? While they were under the Emporer's influence, they didn't seem to have complete training in Sith ways, and merely used Dark Side powers. So, is Revan and Malak truly Sith?
They were disciples of the Sith teachings from the Trayus Academy, and went to great lengths to restore Korriban and explore the ancient history of the Sith. They are as much the inheritors of the Sith title as Vitiate and his cronies.

I personally dislike this whole "annointed by the Sith Emperor" bit. Perhaps Malak saw it as a license to wreak havoc, but Revan clearly turned around and immediately started preparing to forge his own empire to crush Vitiate.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 06:03 AM | #22
Interestingly enough, the ancient Sith Lords didn't recognize the Sith Emperor as a true heir to the Sith Legacy. So their "anointment by the Sith Emperor" bears little weight. Nonetheless, they were Sith, they held the Darth title, and you don't need recognition from long dead ghosts to be a Sith Lord. All you need is power.

LadyKulvax
03.10.2013 , 06:11 AM | #23
The legitimate heir to the Old Sith Empire is Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma, the Sith Emperor was seen as an abomination and wasn't supported by any of the Sith Lords.

I'd say the legitimate line ends with Darth Malak(for a few thousand years), why? Revan and Malak turned on the Emperor and they adapted to the teachings of the remnants of Dark Jedi and Sith from Kun's Empire hiding on planets like Korriban, the Sith triumvirate used Malachor's teachings as well, by that token, Darth Bane's Order of the Sith Lords continues the original Empire as well.

Vitiate's empire is more of a rogue spin off as far as I see.
""A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack."
Peace Knowledge Light

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 06:21 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
The legitimate heir to the Old Sith Empire is Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma, the Sith Emperor was seen as an abomination and wasn't supported by any of the Sith Lords.

I'd say the legitimate line ends with Darth Malak(for a few thousand years), why? Revan and Malak turned on the Emperor and they adapted to the teachings of the remnants of Dark Jedi and Sith from Kun's Empire hiding on planets like Korriban, the Sith triumvirate used Malachor's teachings as well, by that token, Darth Bane's Order of the Sith Lords continues the original Empire as well.

Vitiate's empire is more of a rogue spin off as far as I see.
Agreed, Sidious for one was evidently accepted by the ancient Sith Lords, as he often went to Korriban to seek their advice. However something Sidious says puzzles me to this day: 'Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy!' When did the Sith ever rule the galaxy? It just gets me thinking that the Republic will lose this war and the Sith Empire will have a more legitimate place in the Sith lineage. But for obvious reasons Vitiate will have to be overthrown...

LadyKulvax
03.10.2013 , 06:41 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Agreed, Sidious for one was evidently accepted by the ancient Sith Lords, as he often went to Korriban to seek their advice. However something Sidious says puzzles me to this day: 'Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy!' When did the Sith ever rule the galaxy? It just gets me thinking that the Republic will lose this war and the Sith Empire will have a more legitimate place in the Sith lineage. But for obvious reasons Vitiate will have to be overthrown...
Darth Ruin's: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Sith_Empire
Peace Knowledge Light

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 07:06 AM | #26
Oh really? Interesting. Something else I found:

The character of Darth Ruin was created by George Lucas as part of the backstory for the prequel trilogy. In Lucas's notes, Ruin is an unnamed Jedi Knight who fell to the dark side with fifty followers 2,000 years prior to the film saga, founding the Sith. Since the Sith have been well established in other C-canon works for thousands of years, this "foundation" was degraded to be only a schism, after three previous ones. All other information on him was created by Abel G. Peña. ~ Wookieepedia, Darth Ruin.

So I guess that's what Sidious must have been referring to...

LadyKulvax
03.10.2013 , 07:18 AM | #27
Oh really? Interesting. Something else I found:

The character of Darth Ruin was created by George Lucas as part of the backstory for the prequel trilogy. In Lucas's notes, Ruin is an unnamed Jedi Knight who fell to the dark side with fifty followers 2,000 years prior to the film saga, founding the Sith. Since the Sith have been well established in other C-canon works for thousands of years, this "foundation" was degraded to be only a schism, after three previous ones. All other information on him was created by Abel G. Peña. ~ Wookieepedia, Darth Ruin.

So I guess that's what Sidious must have been referring to...
Precisely.
Peace Knowledge Light

Beniboybling
03.10.2013 , 09:08 AM | #28
Precisely.
It's weird how much of the EU Lucas had a part in, I keep seeing his name crop up everywhere. People don't give this guy enough credit.

TalonVII
03.10.2013 , 03:15 PM | #29
It's weird how much of the EU Lucas had a part in, I keep seeing his name crop up everywhere. People don't give this guy enough credit.
Well lets see he made the canvas the EU developed out of. Hell when it came to the EU, a lot of how things developed, George Lucas had a hand in it.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

TORHipster
03.17.2013 , 01:59 PM | #30
OP, I have enjoyed your previous "in-depth" series. That said, this is a poor attempt of "an in-depth look at: Darth Malak". Instead, you merely summarized a subplot of Kotor. Where is his origin on Quelii? Where is the story of Alek "Squint" Squinquargesimus? Where is the story of a Jedi Knight joining the Revanchists and hiding from the Jedi Council? Where is his tale as a formidable general? Where is his role on Malachor V? Where is the story of his fall?