Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

bright_ephemera
03.07.2013 , 08:51 PM | #561
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
“Did you read his file, Master Sumalee? The guy’s a con artist. He’s got a bad actor’s command of accents and he wouldn’t tell the truth if you asked him what time it was[.]”
I love that the accent thing comes back.

Also, Risha really is a very competent partner if you can stand her. I like it.

Ninja edit: kabeone, I believe I've mentioned how much I love the flow and emotion of Scourge's piece. <3
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
03.08.2013 , 11:24 AM | #562
I really liked that last line, Striges
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
03.08.2013 , 06:38 PM | #563
This week I'd like to formally merge the prompt lists for both SFC and AU, saving up valuable indexing time and space for kabeone. So! While some of us...um, or at least me...have been writing to these already, I'll list the week's new prompt, then the back catalog of SFC prompts that have not yet appeared for AU. Pick your pleasure!

Week of 3/8/2013
Your Song - Music is a tremendous force in many cultures, human and otherwise. Some people ignore it, some listen, some create, some sing really loud in the shower. Write something involving the music in your character's life.

Rites of Passage - There are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Which ones have your characters experienced? Are there any that their AU selves added or missed?

First Impressions - Our characters meet tons of people on their journeys. What are their first impressions of each other like? Are they accurate, or did someone put up a front? Write about it!

Communication Breakdown - Trying to communicate with each other when things are going well is hard enough, but our characters have plenty of other things that can get in the way. Bad com channels, language barriers, broken holo feeds - all those can mess up a conversation. Not to mention people who just plain don't understand each other...

Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

Mix It Up - For this challenge you can write anything you like. The catch? Someone else's character has to be in it along with yours. It can be your friend's or someone else in the thread as long as you have gotten their permission and as long as your story involves your character and another player character that you don't play - NPCs, companions, etc don't count. Get creative with this one and see what cool stuff you can come up with. We have some really talented minds in here and I'm sure people will come up with some awesome stories.

Exploration - You could travel your whole life and not see all of Earth - so what about people who have an entire galaxy to explore? What new things have your characters uncovered along their journeys? Thank you bright_ephemera for this prompt.

Dreams and Nightmares - Sometimes these are literal - a horrible nightmare or a pleasant dream that you don't want to wake up from. Sometimes it's a metaphor - your desires for the future or your greatest fear. Either way, they're a part of everyone's lives. Thank you Striges for this prompt!

Family - Dealing with a war sucks. It's already complicated enough, but family complicates things even more. Some of our characters' families are different species, or have different alligiances. How do they deal with the complications that family can bring? Suggested by Eanelinea.

Discovery - In our characters' journeys, we make some surprising discoveries. Sometimes they're things about ourselves or our friends, other times they're discoveries about the world around us. Either way, they usually take us by surprise. Suggested by Crezelle.

Canned Response - When we click on our companions, they give us one of a set of responses. Unfortunately, that's all the endgame interaction we get with them - but let's make the best of it! Pick a phrase (one or more) a favored companion says to you and write a fic around why they are saying it. Suggested by Morgani.

Celebration - There are many things to celebrate in life: from weddings to birthdays to holidays. Write about a celebration your character has been a part of. Prompt suggested by SveinEternity.

Guilty Pleasures - We all have them. Does your bounty hunter love The Bachelor (or whatever the SW equivalent is)? Or your Jedi Consular love romance novels? What secret thing do they love - and would be mortified if anyone knew it?

Mission Accomplished - Ever wonder what exactly goes down when you send your companions on those crew skill missions? How does Khem handle diplomacy missions, for example? Write about your character sending one of his or her crew members on an assignment - your character can only appear when giving the mission; focus on a companion. Suggested by Morgani!

What's In A Name - Names are special, they almost always have some meaning behind them. First names, family names, nicknames - none of them are ever arbitrary. Write a story explaining a name given to your character or a companion, whether it's their personal name, nickname, or alias.

My First - Firsts are usually special - first items, like Jedi and Sith's first lightsabers or an agent or smuggler's first gun. First times, like your first time connecting with the Force or your first time stepping onto your ship. Firsts can change a person and solidify who they are. Write about a special "first" in your character's life and how it shaped them.

Turning Point - Last week we wrote about what life would be like if major events didn't happen. This week, we're writing about major events that DID happen. Pick a particularly important moment for your character, one that solidified their path. Write about what they did and why that moment was crucial.

[b]Worst Day Ever[b/] - Everybody has a bad day. So do our characters. Maybe it was in their class story - like getting your ship stolen on your birthday - or maybe it was something that happened before or after. Whether it genuinely was the worst day or your character was just in a bad mood and something happened to make it worse, write about a day that made them call it "the worst day ever".

(Un)invited Guests - Things get complicated when you're visiting someone else, or have someone visiting you. Even if you want them there! Of course, things are extra complicated when your guest is someone you didn't want or expect to come around.

...Like No One's Watching - When we're alone we often indulge ourselves in things that might embarrass us if others knew. Bad music, bad dancing, whatever it is, we'd be pretty mortified if someone caught us. This time, write about your character's secret indulgences - and how they react when it's discovered.

Changes/New Paths - It can be scary taking the plunge into a new life endeavor - entering or leaving a school, a job, a relationship. Write about an experience your character had doing it.

Brotherhood/Sisterhood - Siblings can be best friends, worst enemies, or any of a host of unique relationships in between. Write about brothers and sisters in your character's life...for better or worse.

Ceremony - Lots of things call for a party with maybe a formal element. It doesn't have to be a wedding, it can be a graduation, a promotion, whatever. It doesn't even have to be a literal ceremony. Just let the prompt take you where it will!

Parenthood - Many of our characters either have issues with their parents, are parents themselves, or both. Parents can make things complicated, whether it's simply the generational gap or the fact that they aren't great parents.

Affection - It's more than just a game mechanic. How do your characters show it, whether to their lover or their family or to their friends? Does it always have the intended effect, or do things get lost in translation?

Fame - Your characters all end their class stories with a lot of newfound fame. How do they deal with it? Being recognized on the street, being on the news, finding themselves mentioned all over the HoloNet - it's got to be stressful. Alternatively, what if your characters met another famous person and had to deal with being starstruck?

Bad Timing - Sometimes, the worst thing about something is when it happens. Even a good thing can end up being not-so-great if the timing is wrong. Write about a time when your character had to deal with something that just plain came at the wrong time.

The big combined index, maintained by the wonderful kabeone, is over yonder.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
03.09.2013 , 08:54 AM | #564
Introducing just a little private Lodestone thing, I guess, for Music. I dunno why this keeps universe occupying brain cycles. No game spoilers. 1000 words.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

kabeone
03.09.2013 , 07:32 PM | #565
@Striges - I always enjoy your description of environments and buildings. The simplification of all life to the altercation on the street far below. I also loved the transition from Rixik in the closest he gets to despair, to starting to analyse again, then plot. I like your take on Master Sumalee, she's less annoying than most of the Jedi I've encountered in-game.

@bright That was really beautiful. I like the idea that things about Ruth still surprised Wynston after years together. I can also see how this would be a better substitute for thrilling, thrilling can often just require a bigger and bigger high. Very dangerous for an adrenaline junkie who already lives dangerously.

Index up to date

bright_ephemera
03.09.2013 , 10:53 PM | #566
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
@bright That was really beautiful. I like the idea that things about Ruth still surprised Wynston after years together. I can also see how this would be a better substitute for thrilling, thrilling can often just require a bigger and bigger high. Very dangerous for an adrenaline junkie who already lives dangerously.
Someone accustomed to snap judgment, skimming and running, might be pleasantly surprised by the long discovery process of getting to know one person in depth. Vaguely related to the story, I almost fell over the first time I heard my husband singing, and yes, he was my husband by the time I caught it. Where do these things come from?! And why on Earth would one hide it (assuming one doesn't have to keep up the stern appearance of a Sith lord, I guess)? (Also I totally abuse "write what you know" for the kernels of some of these stories.)

Now that I've heard an example of Imperial Agent VA Bertie Carvel's marvelous singing skill I'm going to headcanon Wynston as being unable to carry a tune in a bucket. Just for fun.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Striges
03.10.2013 , 08:28 PM | #567
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Holy cow, it's a major headspace adjustment to think through Wynston's brain when a) he really cares about someone for her own sake and b) he's playing the natural dynamic with a considerate, affectionate, straightforward person
I sympathize; I had the same difficulty writing AU Rixik in the beginning. It still takes some time to switch gears. He’s not quite the polar opposite of canon-Rixik, and it’s way too easy to push him into comedy.

Ruth singing, and what is means to her, is lovely. I also like that Wynston didn’t know that about her. It’s so easy for him to get a snapshot of someone’s personality and work from that, it must be refreshing to be surprised. I also liked that she sang to him later, even though she had no way of expecting him to hear or enjoy it. Really pretty connections.

@Striges - I always enjoy your description of environments and buildings. The simplification of all life to the altercation on the street far below. I also loved the transition from Rixik in the closest he gets to despair, to starting to analyse again, then plot. I like your take on Master Sumalee, she's less annoying than most of the Jedi I've encountered in-game.
Thank you! Both versions of Rixik glide past a lot of emotional issues and go straight for getting out of the mess. He never had the luxury of feeling bad about the situation--you cry, you get slapped and shoved back in line. He’s pleased with anything short of the worst thing possible. He’s not been hit with a worse than the worst case scenario in a long time.

Smuggler Spoilers:
Spoiler

kabeone
03.11.2013 , 12:16 AM | #568
Knightless: (Un)Invited Guest
Spoilers for Corellia and Pierce's companion quests.
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
03.11.2013 , 08:50 AM | #569
'Friendly fire isn't,' was something drilled into their heads at whatever passed for Pub boot-camp. Pierce used their bleeding hearts to his advantage.
Pierce...you are the best. The best.

Also I get a stupid grin every time those two end up in the same room.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Striges
03.12.2013 , 07:58 AM | #570
My SW wanted to go on that companion quest with Pierce--so yay!

Not to mention "I wouldn't call what we're about to do a landing." I can hear Pierce saying this, with that little almost-grin. Like a kid who knows he's about to get in trouble.