Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How I cope with the prequel trilogy (prequel lovers move along)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How I cope with the prequel trilogy (prequel lovers move along)

LadyKulvax
03.09.2013 , 03:43 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
If you're interested in some outstanding and hilarious reviews of the Prequels, look up Red Letter Media on YouTube. There are reviews for each of the PT movies, and they're quite good.
Oh god no, don't get me started on him.
""A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack."
Peace Knowledge Light

Darth__Carnal
03.09.2013 , 04:52 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
Yeah, it's not like people are making games based on these properties today, or planning to film movies in this series, clearly there's no current relevance to this...wait.
Yeah, and the Clone Wars Rocks....so ?
☾▓║]!▀!▀!▀!▀!▀!▀║▩▓[██████████▓▒░Surrender to Temptation░▒▓███████████)

calypsissmexy
03.09.2013 , 05:17 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDisturbed View Post
The prequels were incredibly terrible, but all of the "inconsistencies" I've ever heard of turn out to be hair splitting silly reasoning garbage, so I'm curious as to what you all consider to be inconsistent.
TBH I'm much less concerned with the inconsistencies as I am the general ****tiness of the prequels. But there are some glaring ones, like Leia knowing her mother. You can call that hairsplitting, but the scene where she mentions it was touching, and then in the prequels her mom dies a second after she has the babies...kinda messing that up. And that's the inconsistency that bugs me the most...tonal inconsistency. Original trilogy has emotional depth. Prequels are like a little kid telling a story..."And then, and then, and then..."

A possible implication was that Luke and Leia's mother had lived on Alderaan with her for a short time before succumbing to either and illness or grief or whatever. That's why Leia has memories of her and Luke, who was sent to Tattooine, doesn't. Maybe she was from Alderaan and that's why she went there with her baby? Maybe she was a queen or a member of the royal family and that's why Leia is a princess? I find this a much more interesting connection to the original trilogy than some random planet where some random queen is trapped by a trade embargo that serves no purpose and then and then and then...meh.
my tumblr is smexy o.o

platinumruggo
03.09.2013 , 05:31 AM | #24
You people ***** and moan about the prequels so often, but the fact of the matter is that they're not going away at all, better to accept them than to continue complaining about something you'll never be able to get rid of or change. I love all six movies, the OT has problems just like the PT, seems that more people whine about some bs in the prequels, those same things (or at least similar) existed in the OT as well.

Ventessel
03.09.2013 , 07:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
Oh god no, don't get me started on him.
Do you dislike the reviews for their style, or do you actually disagree with the content of the review's criticisms of the films?
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Ventessel
03.09.2013 , 07:33 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by platinumruggo View Post
You people ***** and moan about the prequels so often, but the fact of the matter is that they're not going away at all, better to accept them than to continue complaining about something you'll never be able to get rid of or change. I love all six movies, the OT has problems just like the PT, seems that more people whine about some bs in the prequels, those same things (or at least similar) existed in the OT as well.
I'm actually hoping that ten or fifteen years from now we'll get a remake of the prequels that irons out all the horrific plot holes and actually tells the tragedy of Anakin's fall properly.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

TheBBP
03.09.2013 , 08:36 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by calypsissmexy View Post
TBH I'm much less concerned with the inconsistencies as I am the general ****tiness of the prequels. But there are some glaring ones, like Leia knowing her mother. You can call that hairsplitting, but the scene where she mentions it was touching, and then in the prequels her mom dies a second after she has the babies...kinda messing that up. And that's the inconsistency that bugs me the most...tonal inconsistency. Original trilogy has emotional depth. Prequels are like a little kid telling a story..."And then, and then, and then..."

A possible implication was that Luke and Leia's mother had lived on Alderaan with her for a short time before succumbing to either and illness or grief or whatever. That's why Leia has memories of her and Luke, who was sent to Tattooine, doesn't. Maybe she was from Alderaan and that's why she went there with her baby? Maybe she was a queen or a member of the royal family and that's why Leia is a princess? I find this a much more interesting connection to the original trilogy than some random planet where some random queen is trapped by a trade embargo that serves no purpose and then and then and then...meh.

Sir, is this the stick that has forcibly worked it's way up inside you?
Master No'ja Vace -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

LadyKulvax
03.09.2013 , 08:42 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Do you dislike the reviews for their style, or do you actually disagree with the content of the review's criticisms of the films?
I have watched them all, but the problem is, most of what he's saying can be applied to the Original Trilogy to, this is why I never will or have understood the PT vs OT, I literally don't see the major differences, a lot of what the OT fans claim is bad about the Prequels, an be applied very easily to a lot of stuff in the OT.

I would just like to confirm that I'm not a major fan of the films at all, far more interested in the Expanded Universe, perhaps I am not wearing rose-tinted glasses for this bash-off.
""A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack."
Peace Knowledge Light

Ventessel
03.09.2013 , 08:58 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
I have watched them all, but the problem is, most of what he's saying can be applied to the Original Trilogy to, this is why I never will or have understood the PT vs OT, I literally don't see the major differences, a lot of what the OT fans claim is bad about the Prequels, an be applied very easily to a lot of stuff in the OT.

I would just like to confirm that I'm not a major fan of the films at all, far more interested in the Expanded Universe, perhaps I am not wearing rose-tinted glasses for this bash-off.
Episodes IV and V are pretty solid films, assuming you don't mind the broad premises of the Empire and the Rebellion. But the thing is, neither of those things really need to be explained for the films to work. Since none of the EU existed when the films were made, they set their own premises. Now, the Death Star was a rather silly contraption, but it fit the theme of the Empire.

The only real issues I can see with the prequels are that they don't represent the scale of the Empire very well, but that's mostly due to financial limitations on the special effects. Aside from that, the characters are really vibrant and their interactions are memorable. The characters from the prequels just fall flat.

cieraa
03.10.2013 , 09:11 AM | #30
I just ignore the contraversies, and enjoy the films. I like them as much as the original trilogy. Also, one of the joys of a public forum is that anyone is entitled to post their thoughts.