Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Starship Analysis: E-Wing fighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Starship Analysis: E-Wing fighter

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
03.07.2013 , 05:06 PM | #1
"I say let the Imperials keep coming, because every time a new admiral crawls out of the Outer Rim or some Imperial goon finds a lost superweapon, Rogue Squadron gets a new starfighter. Seems like a good deal to me."
―General Wedge Antilles

This analysis is on the E-Wing fighter. It was a fighter developed with 2 things in mind, to supplant the X-Wing fighter[which it did not do] and make use of the R7-astromech designed specifically for it. The fighter was shaped around two aerofoils and carried two laser cannons while a third cannon over the top of the fighter.

Another key feature was the astromech was in an enclosed space directly behind the pilot, protecting the droid from incoming fire. The fighter had an amazing blend of speed, firepower. It also carried 1 torpedo launcher that carried an amazing load of 16 torpedos. This made it an excelling fighter bomber capable of doing more damage than an X-wing to a capital ship.

The reason this fighter did not supplant the X-Wing was because of the many problems with the laser cannons misfiring in combat and there were also major issues with the R-7 Astromechs. Even still, this fighter was tough as nails, fast, maneuverable and packed a punch. It was fast enough to counter the TIE Interceptor, had better armor and shields than most fighters of the day including the vaunted X-wing.

The E-Wing came into front line service during Thrawn's attempt to defeat the Republic and through out the attacks by the reborn Emperor Palpatine. It was still in service, though not in as many numbers as the X-Wings during the Vong War. There were actually elite squadrons using this fighter including the Blackmoon Squadron that grew to fame defending Borlieas in the days after Courscant fell during the Vong war. Even during the second civil war against Caedus this fighter still saw action.

Had this fighter not been plagued by mechanical issues during it's early years, this fighter might of replaced the X-Wing as the main fighter of the fleet.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

GarfieldJL's Avatar


GarfieldJL
03.07.2013 , 11:48 PM | #2
Yeah, the E-Wing's problems with the laser canons was eventually fixed though.

The larger reason why the E-Wing didn't replace the X-Wing was the fact the X-Wing Starfighter was upgraded, there were several versions of the T-65, and if I remember correctly the later versions had better performance than the earlier models.

Kilikaa's Avatar


Kilikaa
03.07.2013 , 11:58 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Yeah, the E-Wing's problems with the laser canons was eventually fixed though.

The larger reason why the E-Wing didn't replace the X-Wing was the fact the X-Wing Starfighter was upgraded, there were several versions of the T-65, and if I remember correctly the later versions had better performance than the earlier models.
Precisely. By the time the Vong war was in full swing the new XJ models were coming out. The XJ-3 and later the XJ-5 were the best ever made, save for the Stealth X that the Jedi ordered for their specific use. Still, the E was a pretty good fighter. Hard to replace the X, though.

Yes, I am biased towards the X-Wing, sue me lol.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
03.08.2013 , 05:59 AM | #4
Yes these were other factors that i did not put in my original analysis, good catch guys

But you have to admit, even with the upgrades, still can't beat an E-Wing for superior firepower against capital ships.

Instead of trying to replace the X-wing, should of replaced the B & Y-wing with the E-wing.

For me it would be a toss up which fighter i would want to fly.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
03.08.2013 , 07:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
The reason this fighter did not supplant the X-Wing was because of the many problems with the laser cannons misfiring in combat and there were also major issues with the R-7 Astromechs. Even still, this fighter was tough as nails, fast, maneuverable and packed a punch. It was fast enough to counter the TIE Interceptor, had better armor and shields than most fighters of the day including the vaunted X-wing.
Also because of an imperial plot to saboutage the Republic by turning the interface between any R7 droid and it's fighter into a bomb, please note the Interface (and the corresponding computer) was the bomb. This was discovered when Luke insisted they restore his X-wing to it's original state, so he wouldn't have to replace R2. While the plot was negated, it would have made officials nervous about the R7 droids, even though the droids themselves were blameless. Can't remember which book this happened in, but I do remember it was R7 droids.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
03.08.2013 , 07:54 AM | #6
crap, i totally forgot about that! thankyou for bringing that up. it was in the Thrawn trilogy, i don't know if it was Heir to the Empire or Dark forces Rising.

I think Heir to the empire, but it's been so long since i read those books, totally forgot. TY!
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

KorranM's Avatar


KorranM
04.22.2013 , 11:52 AM | #7
no the issue with the T-65 being a bomb came about from an upgrade that was designed to replace the astromech unit with an onboard computer (like in the A-wing and B-wing fighters). The designation of this was the T-65D-A1. see link http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65D...ng_starfighter

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
04.23.2013 , 02:36 AM | #8
The E-Wing was superior to the X-Wing, and even outperformed the later models of the vaunted T-65.

The initial problems were mostly related to working out the kinks in programming with the R7 and the synthetic tibanna gas used for the cannons. Once those were resolved, you had a faster, more powerful, more durable fighter with better targeting capabilities and a more powerful astromech unit.

There were a few reasons that the X-Wing kept getting dragged out with a new upgrade every book, however. For starters, I don't think any of the EU authors were willing to widely distribute a model of droid that made R2 totally obsolete (he was, but fans are way too sentimental). Furthermore, I don't think Del Ray was willing to publish a book that didn't prominently feature scenes with X-Wings being flown.

Now, it does make some sense for the X-Wing to be upgraded and used long after its prime. From a logistical standpoint, there are tons of spare parts, the crews and pilots know the machines well, and there are a plethory of older airframes which can be retrofitted for a fraction of the cost of buying a new fighter.

However, I think we should see the E-Wing take over most of the multi-role/escort missions previously performed by the X-Wing, at least within the well funded Navy of the Galactic Alliance. Third parties would likely continue to use recycled X-Wings, since they're affordable and reliable.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
04.23.2013 , 05:15 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
The E-Wing was superior to the X-Wing, and even outperformed the later models of the vaunted T-65.

The initial problems were mostly related to working out the kinks in programming with the R7 and the synthetic tibanna gas used for the cannons. Once those were resolved, you had a faster, more powerful, more durable fighter with better targeting capabilities and a more powerful astromech unit.

There were a few reasons that the X-Wing kept getting dragged out with a new upgrade every book, however. For starters, I don't think any of the EU authors were willing to widely distribute a model of droid that made R2 totally obsolete (he was, but fans are way too sentimental). Furthermore, I don't think Del Ray was willing to publish a book that didn't prominently feature scenes with X-Wings being flown.

Now, it does make some sense for the X-Wing to be upgraded and used long after its prime. From a logistical standpoint, there are tons of spare parts, the crews and pilots know the machines well, and there are a plethory of older airframes which can be retrofitted for a fraction of the cost of buying a new fighter.

However, I think we should see the E-Wing take over most of the multi-role/escort missions previously performed by the X-Wing, at least within the well funded Navy of the Galactic Alliance. Third parties would likely continue to use recycled X-Wings, since they're affordable and reliable.
Won't happen. The X-wing has had so many upgrades, it will continue to be the fighter of choice for a LONG time to come. You'll probably see the E-wing in the Fighter/bomber role, replacing the B and Y-wings.

Sorry but like you said, X-wings, will never be replaced because they are too iconic.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
04.24.2013 , 11:04 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Won't happen. The X-wing has had so many upgrades, it will continue to be the fighter of choice for a LONG time to come. You'll probably see the E-wing in the Fighter/bomber role, replacing the B and Y-wings.

Sorry but like you said, X-wings, will never be replaced because they are too iconic.
That doesn't make any sense, why would you use a dedicated space superiority fighter exclusively as a bomber? Or even primarily?

The E-Wing is an escort fighter; it balances speed with firepower, and has much stronger armor and shielding than the old X-Wing. The upgrades to the X-Wing really just make it passable. After the Second Galactic Civil War, you're looking at an airframe that is over forty-five years old. The E-Wing is about half that age, and it really only left the prototype phase during the YV War, so it's effective combat usage has been about fifteen years at that point. If anything, the Alliance should be scaling up its efforts to phase out the X-Wing and sell off those older models to third parties.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell