Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Diffculties with the RPers

Barantos
03.07.2013 , 03:05 PM | #1
Hello Everyone,
Some of you may know me most of you probably don't but i wanted to talk about some of the struggles i have encountered as a new player. This is mostly relating to roleplaying.

The first major issue I encounter is that I rarely meet roleplayers who are friendly and welcoming. I have tried going to the cantina and approaching someone and rping and I am often ignored or treated poorly. I would think that rping is a "the more the merrier" kind of function so long as everyone is looking to participate in good spirits. It is pretty discouraging and it really makes me want to grief and/or not help you whenever possible if that was the reception I received.

The second issue I see is that most people roleplay that they are the greatest and most powerful person in the galaxy. If you are level 11 and keyboard turn with terrible grammar it is hard for me to allow you to roleplay as a sith lord... just sayin. To treat me as a lap dog, when given the chance I could wipe the floor with your ability clickin, keyboard turning, incorrectly geared character.

Maybe I am just old fashioned and out of the loop, but my last real roleplaying experience was in star wars galaxies and it was great. Duels and willingness to help train others is what decided council members. It was great because the people who were your superiors in the guild were useful and respected. I have been in several guilds here and most of the council members can not spec or gear properly. How can I be your apprentice when you fail to grasp basic game mechanics?

Sorry if this turned into a rant, but in my time here I am absolutely in love with this game. i joined this server because i wanted to rp again, but in my experience I either get a cold shoulder or an imbecile demanding I call him master and do his bidding.

Morderca, Bounty Hunter for Hire

Soromonu
03.07.2013 , 04:15 PM | #2
I would have to agree with you - have not had much of an enjoyable random RP with the folks here
You wear the trappings of the Sith, you fight like the Sith, but this can be imitated, however. You lack a vital quality found in all Sith...Sith have no fear, and I sense much fear in you."

kloma
03.07.2013 , 04:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Barantos View Post
Sorry if this turned into a rant,

a bit. but you're not wrong

Satedbuffalo
03.07.2013 , 05:03 PM | #4
I recommend you join a guild with high RP and avoid the cantinas. I don't know anyone who's ever had a good experience with cantina RP.

Jenzali
03.07.2013 , 05:23 PM | #5
Agreed. Just remember, if they really were an all-powerful Sith Lord, they would be orchestrating things from the shadows rather than proclaiming their power in a cantina.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Zorion
03.07.2013 , 05:45 PM | #6
Well ehem dishing ppl for they're abilites to play "toons" correclty in game of mechanics is kind of pointless to "not respect they're role".

Roleplay - you play something your not.

Already there I'd arrest you as not being the most amicable of players to interact with in this setting.
While they're skills may be bad, maybe they got good henchmen on they're list to do the dirty work?

That said, besides the already pointed out advise :
* Join a rp-guild etc.

I would generally ask the participants of that rp in pm's to join or type (ooc) and ask a question in spatial if you can join etc.
Alot of the rp'ers have put alot of effort and hours into makeing "big arc's of rp", so when mr random stumbles in its just an annoyance/interuption and they just can "fit you into they're story either".
Some of the stuff takes alot of hrs and may have a "script" that they follow etc.

The most describeing way to give an example is this :
Your at the movies watching it with a friend.
the movie is scripted and not open to additional elements as its rolling on the silverscreen right.
then all of a sudden one of the audience members decide to jump up infront of the screen and act out, talk to the ppl on the screen, then getting moody cause he dont get replies back and they ignore him.

Not to be rude, but just barging into a crowd of rp'ers doing they're thing is abit invasive tbh or seen as it from those already engaged in the rp.

Not meaning to be rude or nothing, just wanted to give you a perspective on why your treated as you are.

A link with abit of input :
http://www.the-rangers.net/joomla/in...eplaying-rules

Most likely the crowds you've run into are abit "strict/stuckup" rp'ers that is "too serious" for most casual rp'ers.

Varkantos
03.07.2013 , 06:36 PM | #7
Cantina RPers are people who can't, who like to pretend that they can.

Mateops
03.08.2013 , 09:29 AM | #8
I agree with the OP.

If you want to join us for RP, check out www.sithicus.net we have currently 2 ongoing story archs, one imp side and one pub side.

No one will try to be your master or godmode you into the lackey role.

We have alot of talented writers that post forum stories, I have 2 officers that take care only of RP. But we dont talk IC in guild chat.

I am sure they are other interesting RP going on out there, hope you find it.

Mateops

Barantos
03.08.2013 , 10:17 AM | #9
Currently I have app'd for Silent Council, because of my dealings with them in warzones has been a great one. I will look around though if I am not accepted thank you for posting the information.

Btw not sure if any guilds do it but I would love to find a guild that sets up bounty type rp and then the story progresses depending on the outcome of the fight between the bh and the target. I miss player bounties from swg sooooooo much!

Jenzali
03.08.2013 , 11:55 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Barantos View Post
Btw not sure if any guilds do it but I would love to find a guild that sets up bounty type rp and then the story progresses depending on the outcome of the fight between the bh and the target. I miss player bounties from swg sooooooo much!
Silent Council's story arc isn't based on bounties but we do put them out from time to time if it's important to the story. Right now Klaangck Huttslime is pretty much the most wanted man in the galaxy. We also have a few side bounties done in play-by-post format that we encourage people to use for character development and interaction.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.