Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any moral reservations playing dark side? (parents with kids)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Any moral reservations playing dark side? (parents with kids)

Pwny_Express
12.20.2011 , 10:17 PM | #11
The game is rated T for teen for a reason. There are multiple times where one can choose to murder someone during the story line (at least on Empire side). There is one quest I've run in to so far that has a character talking about "sleeping around". Had they pushed the language and content just a little more into the Mass Effect realm I wouldn't be surprised to have seen an M rating.

I wouldn't let kids play it to be honest. I'd say older teens and above with a strong moral grounding could handle it.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Better advice was never given.

mdter
12.20.2011 , 10:20 PM | #12
Dark side is murder, torture and more murder. My bh hit rank 1 light side because I don't randomly murder people that don't have a bounty on their heads.

It isn't really age appropriate for young children. For preteens it'd be fine. For young kids, not so good.

LonerVampx
12.20.2011 , 10:20 PM | #13
Points taken.

Viera
12.20.2011 , 10:22 PM | #14
Believe it or not, kids are honestly capable of telling the difference between reality and fantasy. I grew up watching my father play video games that were a bit gruesome at times, and watched films that weren't exactly appropriate for my age.

But I understood, even then, that it was fiction. That this behaviour was not appropriate in real life.

Basically, so long as you teach your kids the difference between fantasy and reality they'll be fine. Trust me.
"I was a historian once, gathering the relics of the Jedi, learning the ancient mysteries. Always, there were more questions."

Nathan_ss
12.20.2011 , 10:28 PM | #15
I am dark side rank 1 on republic side, it is definately pretty cruel. It gives you quite a bit of negative points with comapnions as well.
Proud Supporter of Open World PVP

Zenomorf
12.21.2011 , 04:06 AM | #16
Strange how the slaughter of all sorts of innocent creatures as you rank up on either side has less meaning than taking the dark route from cut scenes. As a previous reply stated, "kids can work out its not reality and just a game".