Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
03.06.2013 , 08:44 PM | #321
Quote: Originally Posted by Darslk View Post
Much respect to Mr. Holmes for stepping up and answering everyone's questions. And that was a lot of questions answered. This is what we like to see! Direct responses!

Thank you, and I'm eager to hear all the related information that will be released soon
Indeed.

And now when I read his comments... I can hear his UK accent in my head too.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Gezebelle
03.06.2013 , 08:49 PM | #322
If my original post is still up. Dont believe me and just install PeerBlock, actually google/yahoo PeerBlock and research it, do not take my word for it. I am just trying to help you understand that these security enhancements are not for you, they are for them, for easier access. This is just an upsetting factor to me that these corporations silently attack your computer and you never know about it... NOTE: The connection attempts ARE LEGAL because you accepted the TOS (Terms of Service). Updated: After further review, need to make a few corrections.. "allowing HTTP" will not allow game play. As you attempt to connect to server, PeerBlock will see the attempt and block it, you can go through the log and find that IP (which will be different than the other IPs from EA trying to hook up to you) and you can right click it and allow for 15 min, 1 hour or permanently allow. I recommend clicking allow for 1 hour to test and confirm that is the server IP, if not, try another IP from EA that is being blocked. they are time stamped. Second update. I have also noticed that EA attempts have stop after they scanned a few hundred ports, unsure why, but does appear they eventually stop trying to connect. Third, These IPs after you trace them, if you are familiar with how and what to look for, you will see they are not hackers.. Think of it like the IQCarrier hidden code in Phones to track you so they can better suit advertisements to you. Granted they learn your address, email, phone number, so they can sell that info to their affiliates so you can get extra junk mail in your mail box, telemarketer calls, etc. I find this to be worse off than a hacker, but that is my opinion. So you do not need to use PeerBlock, I was just trying to make a point, that EA says one thing, but has multiple agenda, most of which are not for our benefit. Also think of the TOS as an override to the Do not Call list, again you cannot sue if you are on that list and still get calls. Most accounts such as bank, email, really any account you have online has TOS that will naturally override privacy laws, etc. So do not think SWTOR/EA/Bioware is a bad company. It is just one those "hey they are doing, we mind as well too" type deals. Enjoy the enlightment, and attempts at hacking me cause I know I upset a few folks. I am really just trying to help folks understand this "better security measure"

Invincibelle
03.06.2013 , 09:26 PM | #323
I wonder if this might be a prelude to using Display Names as handles attached to character names... like STO does it. I know a lot of people have been upset over losing character names in the server merges, so this would be a way to let them have their names back (not saying this is a good thing... it just sticks out as a possibility). So instead of having a character named Mara and being the only Mara on the server, I'd be "Mara@InvinciBelle". It'd only display "Mara" in the game world, but when you click to friend or chat it'd clarify with the "@InvinciBelle" added to it. And that way there would be no more unique names and everyone who lost their original names could have them back.

Again, I'm not saying this is a good idea (I kinda like having a unique identity, even if it's not the one I wanted)... just that this seemed like a possible direction after I read the announcement.

DaRoamer
03.06.2013 , 09:46 PM | #324
Quote: Originally Posted by Gezebelle View Post
If my original post is still up. Dont believe me and just install PeerBlock, actually google/yahoo PeerBlock and research it, do not take my word for it. I am just trying to help you understand that these security enhancements are not for you, they are for them, for easier access. This is just an upsetting factor to me that these corporations silently attack your computer and you never know about it... NOTE: The connection attempts ARE LEGAL because you accepted the TOS (Terms of Service). Updated: After further review, need to make a few corrections.. "allowing HTTP" will not allow game play. As you attempt to connect to server, PeerBlock will see the attempt and block it, you can go through the log and find that IP (which will be different than the other IPs from EA trying to hook up to you) and you can right click it and allow for 15 min, 1 hour or permanently allow. I recommend clicking allow for 1 hour to test and confirm that is the server IP, if not, try another IP from EA that is being blocked. they are time stamped. Second update. I have also noticed that EA attempts have stop after they scanned a few hundred ports, unsure why, but does appear they eventually stop trying to connect. Third, These IPs after you trace them, if you are familiar with how and what to look for, you will see they are not hackers.. Think of it like the IQCarrier hidden code in Phones to track you so they can better suit advertisements to you. Granted they learn your address, email, phone number, so they can sell that info to their affiliates so you can get extra junk mail in your mail box, telemarketer calls, etc. I find this to be worse off than a hacker, but that is my opinion. So you do not need to use PeerBlock, I was just trying to make a point, that EA says one thing, but has multiple agenda, most of which are not for our benefit. Also think of the TOS as an override to the Do not Call list, again you cannot sue if you are on that list and still get calls. Most accounts such as bank, email, really any account you have online has TOS that will naturally override privacy laws, etc. So do not think SWTOR/EA/Bioware is a bad company. It is just one those "hey they are doing, we mind as well too" type deals. Enjoy the enlightment, and attempts at hacking me cause I know I upset a few folks. I am really just trying to help folks understand this "better security measure"
I think you are overdue on taking your meds.

tausser
03.06.2013 , 10:25 PM | #325
quote "It is likely based on the underlying systems that we will not change the account Display Name, but rather look at adding a new Forum Name that can be different."

Now, this is just plain dumb (and useless) since you've already given world + dog half our login info by then.

Besides, why would I want to change my name here on the forums? It's the one people here already know me as (be it 'oh, him!' or 'oh, him again o.O'); now I want them to put them through 'oh, isn't that the poster formerly known as ...'

Again, I urge you to give us a totally separate and unknown (to others) login name.
It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

MadHobbit
03.06.2013 , 10:39 PM | #326
ok tin foil hat time, this change is due to splitting off swtor ,to in effect create different account.

TomWhiting
03.06.2013 , 11:11 PM | #327
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaesive View Post
This is an excellent Security Update as this will do several things from a global Security prospective.
  1. Help to protect individuals identities or identifying information.
This won't actually protect anything here. Nothing at all. In fact, there's a layer of protection that's removed here because of this. What part of 'you now have half my login information' do you not get?

Quote: Originally Posted by Yaesive View Post
BTW before you think #1 is not the case. I work professionally in Information Security and hold several Global Certifications including my CISSP
And I'm the Queen of England, the sky is really purple, and the world is flat. If you have your CISSP, then forfeit it immediately, because you clearly know very, very little about security

DaRoamer
03.07.2013 , 12:15 AM | #328
Quote: Originally Posted by TomWhiting View Post
This won't actually protect anything here. Nothing at all. In fact, there's a layer of protection that's removed here because of this. What part of 'you now have half my login information' do you not get?

And I'm the Queen of England, the sky is really purple, and the world is flat. If you have your CISSP, then forfeit it immediately, because you clearly know very, very little about security
Your log in name is not actually meant to protect anything at all, it's simply an identifier. Therefore no protection is being removed in that regard. I fail to understand why people are ignoring the fact that the first security check is actually your IP address. So what if someone knows your user ID? If their IP address is different than yours they have multiple security conditions to run through before having access to your account. Even WITH the correct password they STILL won't be able to access your account.

Lyshar
03.07.2013 , 12:58 AM | #329
In general the message given anywhere is: "DO NOT SHARE YOUR LOGIN INFORMATION WITH ANYONE", not just the password. Personally I think the term "password" is wrong, "passcode" would be more accurate and it's never advisable to use an actual word.

If I had designed this I would never have used the email address to log in in the first place, which is why I made a new email account to use for SWTOR exclusively. It would have been much better to have an account name & display name with an email field in the account.

I do understand that a login shouldn't be relied upon for security, but having an account name that is unknown to people is an additional security string that works together with the password. But I understand this will probably never happen now, so I will move to the next point...

Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
Another good question.
This change fundamentally changes what else we can improve within our authentication system in other areas such as self-help services. I have a few ducks with names that start with 'self-help' floating around here somewhere....
Now this trade off does make me curious as to what we'll be given to do ourselves without calling customer support. Especially since ALL tickets needing any help with accounts or global issues affecting thousands of people need you to call them, and ESPECIALLY since calling is no longer free. - Called once, waited forever, couldn't be helped, the ticket I originally send in was basically remade and send to the highest tier with no more information in it than was originally supplied. But that's not your fault.

So what can we expect on the 2nd of April?
- Remove security key? (would like that when I see mine may die soon, which I hope is very far away)
- Reset payment allowance? (Cause people still can't be warned about the endless lockout when they buy too much in a short time)
- Change email address?
- Server transfers?
- Character renaming?
- Character restoration?

Just summing random things up because I don't have so many wishes at this point, just not sure what to expect and very curious. Basically hoping for anything that reduces the chances of needing to call crappy support for things a ticket should be enough to fix.

YlliyaXor
03.07.2013 , 01:22 AM | #330
Quote: Originally Posted by Nealzeypoo View Post
Can we fix the android authenicator. The number text for mine is black. I have to use it in landscape to be able to see the numbers
In my phone you can change the colour of the display by clicking on the settings tab, while there isn't an option to change the display colour it seems to do it automatically.