Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LG_XxLegacyxX's Avatar


LG_XxLegacyxX
03.05.2013 , 06:38 PM | #171
Please no. I hate my display name already, and I can't change it. Sometimes I even forget it. I will always however know my email.
OPA GUNGAN STYLE
Daedra (Karagatzu) [The Bastion]
<The Last Dark Reapers> & <PURgE> PvP/PvE guild

Alduinsm's Avatar


Alduinsm
03.05.2013 , 06:47 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by troyseward View Post
I pray that we have not problems once this goes effect.
Already in effect since Free-to-Play launched (11/15) and from what i know, no problems at all.
Shin

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
03.05.2013 , 06:48 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Halabane View Post
The email you sent out looks like a phishing email. You should tell people to log into their accounts with out a link. It would be easy to grab account info, especially for those who don't have an authenticator by using this email form.

They hammer us at work about this.
I even remember this very thing when I look a computers class haha.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

GalaxyStrong's Avatar


GalaxyStrong
03.05.2013 , 07:00 PM | #174
I THINK THIS IS WHY THEY ARE DOING IT

They are trying to protect us from a Hacker tactic called Combo'ing. What Combo'ing is, is when a bunch of hacker attack a weak website that does not have good security and raid it for "Login & Password" info. Then, they take the login & passwords and start trying to use them on other websites (Examples- Paypal, Bank websites, GAME websites, credit card websites, ect, ect, ect.) and when they find a match they get on to the account and then they screw you. This tactic works quite often because people now more than ever are forced to register to online sites in order to get access to the site and most people HATE trying to remember several login's & passwords so, they try as much as possible to recycle the same login & password if they can (I try not reuse passwords for this reason but, people do it all the time). By changing their login requirement to a screen name it helps secure your information due to the fact most web sites want you to use your email address as your login and there fore most of the time hacker using this technique are going to try to use your email address as the login and then apply the password they found.

I THINK THAT'S WHY THEY ARE DOING THIS BUT, I COULD BE WRONG.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
03.05.2013 , 07:26 PM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
At least the response is not as explosive as when Blizzard almost made displaying real names mandatory.
Wow... I would immagine it would be!

--------- --------- ---------

In response to everyone ranting on how this decreases account security, you are wrong. Players were always able log in using account names as well as emails. This decreases the options of hackers.

Not only that, they have stated that even more security measures will be put into place which have yet to be accounced.

Chill out.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 19 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 DREAD FORTRESS PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

JustinxDuff's Avatar


JustinxDuff
03.05.2013 , 07:34 PM | #176
There are so many people on this forum that have no clue about how system security works.

Plus, if you are so concerned about your account security who do you not already have an authenticator?
Bluntasaurus - Gunslinger - Ewoks Anonyous
Bluntskii - Sentinel - Ewoks Anonymous
Prophecy of the Five
Push the envelope, watch it bend

Dragarr's Avatar


Dragarr
03.05.2013 , 07:42 PM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

We did look at using a secondary 'login only' display name, but sadly this would create more confusion and increase costs associated with support of the new system rather than decrease existing support costs.

So sacrifice player account security in chase of the Almighty dollar, it's good to know what Bioware think of us. Should I just start depositing my pay check straight to your account?

king_nile's Avatar


king_nile
03.05.2013 , 07:46 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
April Fools?
hope so... otherwise this is just.. .. i don't even know.
The Baratheon Legacy ~ {{The Bastion}} (lvl/valor/social)
Kingnile, Gunnery (55/89/10) Keith'Stone, Guardian (55/60/4) Ruusty, Scoundrel (50/3*/3)
Cleancut, Powertech (55/63/*) Spicee, Corruption Sorc (50/50/3)

drgnmstr_'s Avatar


drgnmstr_
03.05.2013 , 08:06 PM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.
if you honestly believe that in this circumstance, then you sir are a *******.

So my display name, publicly sitting on the forums, is what I have to use to log in and that's supposed to be more secure than an email address people don't know. I call BULL ****.

As an IT professional with a certification in network security, this is the last thing you should do. you NEVER give your user name or password out to people. once they know half, it's not hard to get the other half. so NO Bioware/EA. This does NOT enhance security.

The only thing I could hope for is it's an April Fools joke. If they honestly implement that, I'm done playing becuase it's a security violation to have usernames sitting out in public.

spectreclees's Avatar


spectreclees
03.05.2013 , 08:10 PM | #180
So can I change my display name log in then? It's an old name I used years ago.

It doesn't increase security at all either. But that's why I have a security key. Another way EA/BW wants you to buy from them! Increase your security because we are decreasing it for you!