Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DaRoamer
03.05.2013 , 05:54 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
Case 1:

nobody knows what e-mail I use for SWTOR, except BioWare (really noboby, just me and BioWare)

my e-mail has about 20+ chracters including @ - and .

Case 2:

everybody can read my nickname here

it has 7 characters

Which one is more secure, Phillip?

What kind of education do you have, Phillip? Cook?
1 - You can already log in with your display name
2 - Even if you guessed the password you wouldn't be able to log in unless you also knew the secret question answers

There are more security checks happening here than just username/password.

DaRoamer
03.05.2013 , 05:59 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by noobzor View Post
One concern that I have is that it seems this is opening up a way for people to "grief" each other by intentionally trying to log into someone else's account and failing a number of times, resulting in the account getting locked out. Currently, the only way to re-enable the account is to call customer service.

I, personally, don't want to have to call customer service to get my account re-enabled over and over again if someone decides they want to pick on me. That would be enough to make me not want to play this game anymore.

Are there any plans to address this scenario?
This actually doesn't happen and I know that for a fact. I once had to log in to my girlfriend's son's account who lives in another state with his father. Since I was logging in from a different location than where he normally logs in I was prompted to answer a security question. Neither me nor my gf were able to guess his answer so after 3 or 4 tries his account was locked. Now, he could still log in from home just fine but I wasn't able to here even after he told me the answer to the question.

Avorniel
03.05.2013 , 06:03 PM | #163
ok

at present I have 4 step security system for swtor which are :-

1 Game Password
2 Game Key Fob for security number to be inputted into launcher
3 E-mail Password different from Games one
4 E-mail Verification if e-mail account is accessed not on the registered PC (GM-mail,Google) sent to my phone

if you force me to use my Display name it goes down to 2

1 Game password

now what happens if I get this bug with the Security Key which some are still getting it or the battery runs out and at present we can't get them in the UK for some reason .. then it goes down to 1

1 Game password

Also I can view these forums without logging in on a diff. PC and can see everyone's display name..so much for sub players only seeing my name....

so your telling me this is more secure,I can vouch for my PC but can you vouch for your web site being secure and i'll have it in writing and on headed paper please ..
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

Bomyne
03.05.2013 , 06:07 PM | #164
After reading this thread, I have come to a conclusion. There is a MASSIVE security hole in SWTOR's login system. You can log in by a publically displayed username already.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Disable this publically displayed username login system and force everyone to log in though the more secure email login system.

DaRoamer
03.05.2013 , 06:17 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by Avorniel View Post
ok

at present I have 4 step security system for swtor which are :-

1 Game Password
3 E-mail Password different from Games one
4 E-mail Verification if e-mail account is accessed not on the registered PC (GM-mail,Google) sent to my phone

if you force me to use my Display name it goes down to 2

1 Game password

now what happens if I get this bug with the Security Key which some are still getting it or the battery runs out and at present we can't get them in the UK for some reason .. then it goes down to 1

1 Game password

so your telling me this is more secure,I can vouch for my PC but can you vouch for your web site being secure and i'll have it in writing and headed paper please ..

Also I can view these forums without logging in on a diff. PC and can see everyone's display name..so much for sub players only seeing my name....
It also checks your IP address. If you're not in the same location as normal it asks for answers to your security questions.

gamorrean
03.05.2013 , 06:21 PM | #166
A smart man knows what to say, a truly wise man knows when to say it.

DaRoamer
03.05.2013 , 06:24 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by gamorrean View Post
This is not a April 1st joke!!!!

Why!

You can log in right now with your user name....

last straw for me from this company, just unsubbed.
You've been able to do this for months.

A smart man knows what to say, a truly wise man knows when to say it.

xorcist
03.05.2013 , 06:31 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by bigheadbrandon View Post
so now everyone will know half of what you use to login?
My thoughts exactly. Half of what they need is displayed for them. Unless, when we post, it shows our chosen character name instead.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

Halabane
03.05.2013 , 06:31 PM | #169
The email you sent out looks like a phishing email. You should tell people to log into their accounts with out a link. It would be easy to grab account info, especially for those who don't have an authenticator by using this email form.

They hammer us at work about this.
Old Timers Guild member
"Laid Back, Not Too Serious, No Drama......All About The Fun"

Tatile
03.05.2013 , 06:34 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by xorcist View Post
My thoughts exactly. Half of what they need is displayed for them. Unless, when we post, it shows our chosen character name instead.
It would be nice to have a similar forum system to that which The Game That Shall Not Be Named is/was running, wherein you have a selection of your ingame characters and your avatar/display name is your character's appearance (including armour, these were busts) and their name. I think there may also have been your server name?

Of course a system like that would require an armoury and for SWTOR to catalogue its items on the website in some sort of searchable database. Too bad technology like that doesn't exist anywhere on the internets...