Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Altheran
03.05.2013 , 11:56 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by gilephor View Post
Once they have your display name which is readily available in the posting forums, all they have to do is a dictionary attack on the password presuming you do not use the security key, which if this moronic change takes place I would advise you to get ASAP.
It has been possible to log in with display- name for months now. This change do nothing else than protecting your e-mail and your Origin account.

mikebevo
03.05.2013 , 12:00 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.
Then why give people 1/2 the puzzle, you know my username, you have no clue to my email address.

RikHar
03.05.2013 , 12:03 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.

Go figure. It makes little sense. Actually, it makes no sense at all.

All this is, is another attempt to copy WoW.

Probably this is another attempt to sell us something for account protection. Don't doubt it.

Elear
03.05.2013 , 12:08 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Like i said, you can already log in by using forum names, so what you're describing can already be done.
Yep, they first made it possible to use names to log in, then they get to remove ability to log in by email. Nobody notices change when it first appears, and then they just finalize it.

Blackavaar
03.05.2013 , 12:10 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.
My thoughts exactly. They gotta be kidding, right?

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

kaczuszka
03.05.2013 , 12:12 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by bigheadbrandon View Post
so now everyone will know half of what you use to login?
iuno theres a reason why something like steam doesn't show people your account name...
IKR i don't see what is the point in this
peace is a lie there is only passion through passion I gain strength through strength I gain power through power I gain victory through victory my chains are broken the force shall free me

Han_Salo
03.05.2013 , 12:16 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
It has been possible to log in with display- name for months now. This change do nothing else than protecting your e-mail and your Origin account.
Then please, tell me how it exactly works to give me more security to log in with my display-name. Maybe I'm not smart enough, how will that work to give me a better protection?
Handmaidens of Atris (R.I.P.) > The Jedi Tower (R.I.P.) > T3-M4
Spoiler

Avorniel
03.05.2013 , 12:17 PM | #68
So what happens if our forum name is actually the same as in game characters name??

this is utter madness

so at present I have a 4 tier security set up via e-mail and E-mail verification if used on any pc other than one registered and swtor key and game password,now it's down to 2 - key and password and they call this better security measures..umm don't think so it's BS as far as i am concerned....
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

Blackavaar
03.05.2013 , 12:19 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
On the flip side, our display names are very visible to US, here -- but we're all subscribers. While this could lead to personally-motivated hacking, I imagine the sheer volume of that pales in comparison to the sort of email address farming sketched out above.
Note: Non-subscribers can view the forums, they just can't post.

So, it really just changes the method the farmers have to use to find our login info and makes it less of a crap shoot. Trying to login with random emails would result in a number of completely non-existent accounts. Trying to login with Display names that can be viewed directly through the forums results in a definite account every time. They may still have to figure out the password and security questions, but they still know it is an account and they are closer to actually getting in than hoping that random email is attached to an account.

Really, if they want to make it more secure they should be telling us to create a new unique Account Name.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Jenovan
03.05.2013 , 12:24 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Avorniel View Post
So what happens if our forum name is actually the same as in game characters name??
The names of any of your in-game characters are irrelevant to logging in.

Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Note: Non-subscribers can view the forums, they just can't post.

So, it really just changes the method the farmers have to use to find our login info and makes it less of a crap shoot. Trying to login with random emails would result in a number of completely non-existent accounts. Trying to login with Display names that can be viewed directly through the forums results in a definite account every time. They may still have to figure out the password and security questions, but they still know it is an account and they are closer to actually getting in than hoping that random email is attached to an account.

Really, if they want to make it more secure they should be telling us to create a new unique Account Name.

Actually, with logging in by account name being available for months now -- apparently -- this risk already exists, and I suppose is being actively exploited by those who seek to exploit.

I can't argue against a new account name idea, but I don't really expect that sort of system to be added by April, either. :/
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas