Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sith-Viscera
03.05.2013 , 11:29 AM | #51
So we login with display name not email and what no Security Key too? If this is true how in the hell is this more secure?

I wonder if this has to do with security keys causing more problems then what they think its worth?

RAZIMx
03.05.2013 , 11:30 AM | #52
-- disregard this -

Yaesive
03.05.2013 , 11:32 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
Please, send your developers to a

corrective training

they know nothing about security!
I do not think it is the Developers, I would expect it to be the Global Lawyers that are forcing this. See my previous post on this.
Yaesive | Jo'lin | Fojea
Jedi Sage | Jedi Guardian | Smuggler
Jedi Covenant - Outer-Rim Recon Battalion Formerly Canderous Ordo
"Do or Do Not. There is no Try" - Yoda

Shukan
03.05.2013 , 11:34 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Sith-Viscera View Post
So we login with display name not email and what no Security Key too? If this is true how in the hell is this more secure?

I wonder if this has to do with security keys causing more problems then what they think its worth?
It still makes you use your security key which is good and I doubt they will be doing away with the key either.

The Rajivari Legacy

Sith-Viscera
03.05.2013 , 11:46 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Shukan View Post
It still makes you use your security key which is good and I doubt they will be doing away with the key either.

ok thx, i was wondering if the security key will still be used, that is good to know.......

ChaosCalling
03.05.2013 , 11:47 AM | #56
Unfrackingbelievable.

I'll admit that logging with an email address has it's flaws, but this is even worse. You do know that MMOs which ask you to log in via account name also strongly suggest, or even require, that your forum name be DIFFERENT from your account name, right???

*facepalm*
SW:TOR has so many issues, we should get together and hire it a Psychiatrist.

Han_Salo
03.05.2013 , 11:48 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Option B: it does not allow unlimited false entries...
Result: After X false attempts, the account is automatically suspended for security reasons.
Further result: Everyone who dislikes a posting I did can take my screen name and try to login on my account... do this 20x false and my account is automatically suspended... Of course, my security is not compromised in this scenario, but I got the hassle with getting my account back to working properly.
So perhaps this is the modern kind of ignore-list or dis-like-button, now everybodyh has a chance the exclude players from the game, just give wrong answers to the secret security questions three times ...
Handmaidens of Atris (R.I.P.) > The Jedi Tower (R.I.P.) > T3-M4
Spoiler

gilephor
03.05.2013 , 11:50 AM | #58
I agree it is stupid at least with the email they would have to have your email first. Bad idea team you need to think of something else.

Once they have your display name which is readily available in the posting forums, all they have to do is a dictionary attack on the password presuming you do not use the security key, which if this moronic change takes place I would advise you to get ASAP.

Forum name and Login Name should ALWAYS be different. You're making accounts less secure not more secure under this model.

Alavastre
03.05.2013 , 11:50 AM | #59
Seems less secure to me. Now everyone knows my log in name lol.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

PhoenixaRising
03.05.2013 , 11:53 AM | #60
I dont see this being a huge change or drop in security, as it has already been possible to log in with either the account email or forum name for a long time.
I do see it being a problem for people who rarely use the forums and may not remember their forum names. There will definitely need to be notifications sent via email about this.

I also see it being an issue for those who may have previously played the game and return for the expansion. If it has been long enough they likely will not remember their forum name, and who knows what sort of hoops they would have to jump through in order to retrieve the name.
The Nevermore Legacy
- Ravennia - Adia - Kahlira -
GM, Flames of the Phoenix, Ashes of the Phoenix