Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mallorik
03.05.2013 , 11:10 AM | #41
Using email as a login is moronic, i have played mmos since everquest was in beta. Ive been hacked once and it was when wow changed their logins to emails. Ever since then ive always had to create a new and seperate email for games dumb enough to use email as your log in.

AbsolutGrndZero
03.05.2013 , 11:11 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
Effectively, after this change, it's become even more vital that people use the authenticator, since the password is otherwise the only thing that an attacker would have to guess! That password is then the only thing standing between them and credit card fraud!

You know, I wonder if that's their intent? They want everyone to buy the authenticator? Granted, I use the mobile app that's free, but still.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

AbsolutGrndZero
03.05.2013 , 11:13 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
Using email as a login is moronic, i have played mmos since everquest was in beta. Ive been hacked once and it was when wow changed their logins to emails. Ever since then ive always had to create a new and seperate email for games dumb enough to use email as your log in.
Ok, and how is your forum name any different?
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Altheran
03.05.2013 , 11:13 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
Interesting -- was that true before today? The blog entry says "available now" or whatever, but the notice is that email login will -stop- as of April 2nd.

If it's always been available, then it isn't a decrease in security (because the option people are objecting to has been there). /ponder
I've been logging in by using my forum name for months now. It was avaliable since F2P, I believe.

RAZIMx
03.05.2013 , 11:17 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by reiimura View Post
does that mean that if i sign in with that name, i play that specific character? if so what happens to all my other characters, do i have to sign them in by name too? seems like an aweful lot of remembering for people like me who have 12 characters.
It refers to the 'Forum Handle' you gave your account. You won't have to login with character names.

Angelshooter
03.05.2013 , 11:18 AM | #46
At the very least allow us a one-time opportunity to change our display names.

Fornix
03.05.2013 , 11:19 AM | #47
The issue is two-fold in terms of security.

If you were wise, used a unique e-mail address for origion which you used nowhere else, keep your PC clean of keyloggers and used a unique password. Then yes, this move is a step back in terms of security as one element of the login is being handed out to the world to see.

However! Most people who had this level of common sense, will probably also have an authenticator added to their account to top things off.

The average Joe however, fails to care for account security. They use the same email address here, as well as on dozens of other locations. Additionally, different passwords are also unheard off. And authenticators? Well, they're just annoying! Needing to type in an extra security measure and all. Furthermore, keyloggers? Well, never happens to me and if so, who cares right?

For that latter group, which is a major chunk of for who the CS will be busy resolving hacked account issues, this move IS an improvement in security. As once yet another website, game server, MMO database or whatever gets hacked and emails and passwords are lost, their accounts are less likely to be lost the next day as they may not have had the opportunity to have the same username here. And there is nothing really tying their username here, to that random email address in hacked listings.
Member of <Helix>

Eillack
03.05.2013 , 11:23 AM | #48
Well I think this is a stupid change, and more likely to hurt than help; but at least those with security keys are better protected.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Rankyn
03.05.2013 , 11:23 AM | #49
Wait, I see what this is... They meant for this to only be for F2P/preferred players and not for subscribers.
Then they're going to sell them an unlock that will let them use their email address to log in.

Am I right?

Shukan
03.05.2013 , 11:27 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
April Fools?
Nope, not April's Fool because you can already use your display name to log in through the game & website so come 2nd of April you just wont be able to use your email address anymore. My question is, can we change our display name before hand?