Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which tank is good at what?

WorldSecurities
03.05.2013 , 03:30 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Morschee View Post
Hey all.

As a VERY new player aka n00b to SWTOR, I wanted to know which is the best Tank Class to choose, from what I've read here, it seems Shadow/Assasin would be the best for a n00b l.ike me?

I know how to play Tank Role, I played DCUO (PS3) for 2 years, then decided to give this game a go, I chose a Juggenaut Tank, but then found this thread, it seems for a newcomer like myself, an Assassin is the way to go, or am I wrong?
In general:

Jedi Shadow, full tank spec - With a long list of abilities, a shadow tank looks great on paper. But it's likely the hardest tank spec to play, because you have to use all those non-passive abilities.

Quote: Originally Posted by Azzirith View Post
Shadow is a lot of fun, and takes a lot of extra work to keep up to par.
As the previous posters mentioned, running a shadow tank requires constant effort during a fight.

Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Shadow is great in the hands of an awesome player. Sucks in the hands of an inexperienced player but that's true of all the tanks.
Lose track of your non-passive defensive abilities, threat generation, plus a few other things, and you'll wipe the group. You could Try running this tank without keybinding, but you won't be very effective. You'll likely be very dead.

But if you want a constant challenge when tanking, be a shadow tank.

Quote: Originally Posted by SleepyKing View Post
Guardian/Juggernaut - the toughest tanks in the game
Sith Juggernaut, full tank spec - With all that heavy armor, better passive defense than a shadow tank (light armor). A healer won't be guzzling power to keep you alive. Average agro/threat control. A 'fun' easy to learn tank class to play.

Keybinding is optional. Until you start raiding, people probably won't notice.

Quote: Originally Posted by nicehunter View Post
Finally Guardians are last but we can survive damage that the other tanks would die at without a boatload of healing (40% DR 25% max HP and 2s or invulnerability with an additional 50% of saber deflection) and our AoE threat sucks but we have a damn lot of mobility with charge and intercede (able to jump from mobs to players)
Jedi Sentinel, full tank spec - The classic heavy armor, stand in one place tank. The Republic version of the Juggernaut. Easy to play. An effective, more forgiving, but boring tank.

Keybinding is optional; slightly more free time than a juggernaut. You could snack during a non-raid battle.
<click>pause<click>sip<click> ..

Tested the 2.0 version, and this spec is a revitalized killer. No more snacking.

Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
In all honesty the tanks are exceptionally well balanced (relative to healers and DPS anyway). So play what you enjoy.
That's the best advice here.

Morschee
03.05.2013 , 03:52 AM | #22
@Worldsecurities

Wow!!! For a better reply I couldn't have asked for...thank you very much!!! I'm keeping my Juggernaut then

*PS: This is very embarissing to ask, but let me come clean, I'm not just new to SWTOR, but to PC gaming as well, what is "Keybinding"

slafko
03.05.2013 , 05:07 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Morschee View Post
Hey all.

As a VERY new player aka n00b to SWTOR, I wanted to know which is the best Tank Class to choose, from what I've read here, it seems Shadow/Assasin would be the best for a n00b l.ike me?
Yes, Shadow FTW.

I'll jump on the "ShadowsTanksAreHardToPlay" boat for a minute and argue that if you master the hardest class, you'll have very little problems adapting to the "easier" classes.

Back to reality - Shadow is terribly easy to play. As is the enire game.

Hovergame
03.05.2013 , 06:26 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Yes, Shadow FTW.

I'll jump on the "ShadowsTanksAreHardToPlay" boat for a minute and argue that if you master the hardest class, you'll have very little problems adapting to the "easier" classes.

Back to reality - Shadow is terribly easy to play. As is the enire game.
Yes, shadows are easy. But the tanking as a shadow is different, and that's why there are so many noobish shadows in this game. A shadow needs to wisely use his auto-heals and know the fight to pop the defensive CD at the right time.

LarryRow
03.05.2013 , 09:01 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SleepyKing View Post
I'd add that this is wrong too. You're probably thinking of Focus guardians and Rage juggernauts (aka. smash bombers/LOL sweepers), which is a DPS spec, not a tanking spec.

In fact, I find that neither guardian or vanguard tanks are highly valued in PvP (although both have DPS specs that are excellent at same). They're actually not bad for objective-based play (carrying the huttball, defending a point), and can help mitigate damage with taunts and guards, but they have trouble actually killing stuff, so people tend to shy away or respec to DPS for PvP.

The exception to the "tanks suck for PvP" rule is the shadow/assassin tank, which is an excellent PvP class. They'll do OK damage and have a big toolkit of abilities that are perfect for PvP: speed boost, pull, push, stealth, self heals, several stuns, guards, taunts, and a strong set of active defensive cooldowns for when you get mobbed.
This post is way off! In competitive pvp tanks are very important for protecting your allies, especially healers. Usually a Guardian/Jugg fills that role, but I've seen Shadows do it all right. True vanguard tanks are exceptionally rare (because everyone is playing assault).

You seem to be thinking of tanking in pvp as a solo job instead of a team support role. In other words, speccing tank so you last longer and don't die as often. That's not the right way to think of it at all.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

SleepyKing
03.05.2013 , 04:39 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
This post is way off! In competitive pvp tanks are very important for protecting your allies, especially healers. Usually a Guardian/Jugg fills that role, but I've seen Shadows do it all right. True vanguard tanks are exceptionally rare (because everyone is playing assault).

You seem to be thinking of tanking in pvp as a solo job instead of a team support role. In other words, speccing tank so you last longer and don't die as often. That's not the right way to think of it at all.
I was actually responding to a post claiming that guardian tanks were somehow OP in PvP, which they are absolutely not. I actually agree with you - tanks are not useless in PvP - but they're often not highly valued by players because they don't do well in PvP combat. Their primary virtues are guarding the healer and being able to stick around a little longer to hit interrupts and stuns when defending an objective point. I think most groups would rather than extra healer or dps instead, since they can both defend and attack.

ScarletBlaze
03.05.2013 , 05:12 PM | #27
It basically comes down to the individual playing. We have a vanguard and a guardian tank in my guild. I have a shadow but she is dps. Both our tanks know what they are doing and we have an awesome smuggler who is a healer.

We rarely have problems running heroics and flashpoints but we each know our responsibility and we back one another up when we can. We each have learned to play our toons and learned how to back each other up.

A tank, dps, healer is only as good as the player and them knowing their character.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

justdrop
03.05.2013 , 05:38 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
It basically comes down to the individual playing. We have a vanguard and a guardian tank in my guild. I have a shadow but she is dps. Both our tanks know what they are doing and we have an awesome smuggler who is a healer.

We rarely have problems running heroics and flashpoints but we each know our responsibility and we back one another up when we can. We each have learned to play our toons and learned how to back each other up.

A tank, dps, healer is only as good as the player and them knowing their character.
For the most part I agree completely. At 50 each tank can be as good as another, if the players have the same level of understanding of their classes.

Pre-50 is where a lot of the problems lie. Guardian/jugg is much better at single targets, shadow/jedi equiv and power tech/jedi equiv are geared more towards aoe, with shadows/equiv having more ranged pulls and power techs/equiv having more raw ranged output damage.

As a healer, 9 times out of 10 the easiest runs I have are ones with jugg/guard or PT/equiv.

haksilence
03.05.2013 , 08:48 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
@OP

This article u linked is still relevant. Most all of the info is accurate even in 1.7.

Shadow Tanks
+ resilience is the best defensive cooldown for endgame PvE. lets the ops group work around mechanics straight up (NiM EC included).
+can stealth battle rez and/or use "OUT OF COMBAT" self-heal (this is straight up BROKE OP duh)
+best at holding aggro (both single and AOE)
-most spiky (skilled/over-geared healers can keep up tho)

Vanguard Tanks
+Best mitigation tank (white damage only)
+Best AOE aggro holding tank (lots of high damaging AOE abilities)
+Top DPS tank (usually not a big deal, but can be if <insert boring,specific examples>)
-the HoT cooldown is not all that great.
-Folds to force/tech damage more so than the other tanks because the ONLY way to coop with it is a single cooldown.

Guardian Tanks
+Better collection of defensive cooldowns than Vanguards
+slightly better at holding single-target aggro than Vanguards
+Broken OP in PvP (all other tanks are a negative to the team).
~Funnest tank to play (fact )
-good luck holding AOE aggro
-outshined by Shadows and Vanguards in practice very slightly tho

Summary: Shadows are broken due to stealth (seriously, not exaggerating). Abuse'em if u want to be a god. Vanguards are easy-mode + best at mitigation. Guardians are the worse in practice but fun.

-brought to u by a Dread Slayer / Warstalker x3 / Deep Wriggler x 3 ******. no need to thank me noobs
I would argue that shadows are the highest Dpsing tank. but i wont swear on it, ive never seen a vang out DPS my shadow. as well vanguards handle large quantities of force/tech damage better than any other tank because of their superior armor rating/ highest damage reduction, 5 seconds of 100% immunity does not compair since thats only enough time to defend against ~3 attacks.

otherwise fairly accurate summary.
The Eternal, Gatecrashing Dragonslayer From Beyond
Archon Jaberse, Captain Morgan Spice'rum, Gatecrasher Kithide Ameranthine
Aisthesis @ The Ebon Hawk / Ascension @ The Jedi Covenant

slafko
03.07.2013 , 07:10 AM | #30
Those 5 seconds are used when the excrement hits the fan. One does no go around merrily activating Resilience all over the place. You keep it available so you can buy time and live in critical situations.