Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper PvP Guide by Express

stringcat
02.11.2013 , 02:00 PM | #161
On my server, I was literally the ONLY Engineering sniper in PVP for about two or three months. Then a handful of others showed up and one re-subbed. But it's still the rarest of the specs - I always notice an engineer/sabo sniper/GS and could list them by name. Most don't stick with it.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

Monterone
02.13.2013 , 02:05 PM | #162
One of the most educational threads on these official forums, period. Good work NT and all other contributors!

After long consideration I decided not to dust off my GS and am instead leveling a new Sniper. Reading through all the posts really gave me great insight on how to build it and use it effectively... thanks guys.

Chonies (baby sniper)
Saminette
<DMG Ctrl> <Purple Cog>
Harbinger

Bouncy_Hunter
02.17.2013 , 04:02 PM | #163
Thanks for this guide man, The first walls of text I found worthy of reading for a while. Appreciate the time you put into this!
Rattataki Mandalorian Bexxah

AsheraII
02.20.2013 , 07:12 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
[B][SIZE="6"]Players seem to enjoy the MM/Engi hybrid where you basically go as high in Engineering tree to get all the Explosive probe boostin talents. Is this a better spec than full MM or full Engineering? Would you really want to put all your eggs into one single basket, i mean into an ability with a 30s CD? It could probably work, but i dont see any specific greater advantages over the full 31 pts builds..
I'm actually a fan of this one, but I don't go for the full line of Interrogation Probe upgrades. As you said, it is very energy intensive, and that certainly is a major drawback.
Instead, I went 0/20/21 and grabbed the energy regenerators from both trees and focus (rather heavily) on having a good crit rate and good crit damage:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400ZMIMbRRbZG0rkrrb.2

crit = DPS and energy
explosive probe + series of shots = DPS and energy

It's very easy to deplete yourself of energy with a hybrid spec, so you have to use those replennishments you have available to your advantage.

It is AOE and DOT heavy, so not ideal for a CC-heavy ranked team. However, against enemy teams that have a tendency to cluster together, like dual smashers, it works perfectly fine to keep the pressure on everybody, including their healers.

Attacks start out with either corrosive grenades (multiple enemies clustered) or interrogation probe (single enemy), keeping the other one free for the snare effect. After that, I start singling out an enemy, with Corrosive Dart, Explosive Probes, Shattershot and Series of Shots, usually bringing the target down to Takedown health. An enemy healer has to be on the ball from the start to keep up with that, especially with Shattershot active.
Spamming additional Corrosive Darts to other enemy players for additional energy regeneration never hurts either.
It's a slow start with the initial Corrosive Grenade/Dart and having to set up your Explosive Probe. But that's the whole idea of the thing: to not draw too much attention untill it's too late. So you'll want some groupmembers who pose more of an immediate threat with you, like a marauder or a powertech, and maybe a healer. Players capable of front-damage, while you provide the backlash.

While it's certainly not the best way to play a sniper (if there is such a thing), I hope this provides some insight to the how and why to this hybrid spec.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

stringcat
02.20.2013 , 07:43 AM | #165
I sometimes run that spec in regulars. I call it the Mad Bomber spec

(The way I play it, it's a "buff ALL the AOEs! MOAR AOES NOW!" tree -- and you grab the energy regen talents so you can do Even Moar AOEs.)
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

NoTomorrow
02.20.2013 , 11:49 AM | #166
One of my Sniper friends has developed the concept for a build to win duels against stealthers opening on you as well as combat stealthing during the fight. It is not strictly speaking a PvP build, more of a dueling build, but the ideas behind it seem to be quite promising. We will not rush to conclusions until we see how it goes, but i'll tell you this, all this time the possible answer to concealment and deception was right under our nose!

As for the hybrid, i do not endorse it, but sometime the stars align and you may find youself with the right team composition against the right type of opponents, during which you can have a total blast.

I still cannot get enough of 35/3/3 in unranked. It's such a powerful spec against so many opponents. Yeah my DPS is probably capped at 600k max in a warzone with it, but it tears thing apart long before they realize what really happened to them.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

OceosLaRone
02.22.2013 , 07:14 PM | #167
Fantastic guide, thank you very much everyone who has posted!

islander
03.04.2013 , 01:12 PM | #168
bump, for something that should be stickied.
Gìllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

NoTomorrow
03.04.2013 , 02:33 PM | #169
Thank you, i will certainly need to make a new version of the guide for 2.0. It makes sense to make a new thread for 2.0.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

CJNJ
03.29.2013 , 07:37 PM | #170
Friendly bump for new snipers, may help alittle