Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which tank is good at what?

slafko
03.04.2013 , 07:24 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
Vanguard Tanks
+Best AOE aggro holding tank (lots of high damaging AOE abilities)
I never quite understood this. I have a lot more problems holding AOE aggro with my Vanguard than I do with my Shadow.

ThatGnome
03.04.2013 , 08:01 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I never quite understood this. I have a lot more problems holding AOE aggro with my Vanguard than I do with my Shadow.
Explosive Surge. Especially after Storm, where you can talent it to get two free uses.

Kitru
03.04.2013 , 08:02 AM | #13
Vanguard Tanks
+Best mitigation tank (white damage only)
That's not actually true. Shadows have better mitigation because, while they have lower outright DR, they have *way* better Defense. The only mitigation-themed advantage VGs have is the most stable incoming damage profile: they'll require the most external healing, but it will vary the least.

Quote:
+Best AOE aggro holding tank (lots of high damaging AOE abilities)
Nothing holds AoE threat better than a Shadow. VGs have Pulse Cannon, Mortar Volley, and the DoT cleave through HiB (Explosive Surge too, but it's pretty much a joke), which are decent, but nothing compared to the AoE threat that a Shadow gets out of Slow Time and Force Breach, both of which are high threat abilities and *way* more spammable than what VGs get. Pulse Cannon and Mortar Volley don't really qualify as "lots of high damage AoE abilities" unless you have a really strange definition of "lots" (the HiB cleave and Explosive Surge are both mediocre actual damage contributors).

Quote:
+Top DPS tank (usually not a big deal, but can be if <insert boring,specific examples>)
A properly played Shadow is going to edge out a VG on total damage dealt. It's close, and VGs are *way* easier to play optimally or near optimally, so it's somewhat excusable, but it's still misinformation to say that VGs actually have the best DPS among the tanks.

Quote:
-Folds to force/tech damage more so than the other tanks because the ONLY way to coop with it is a single cooldown.
You're wrong here just as much as you're wrong about VGs being the best at taking out white damage. First off, you're ignoring the fact that a vast majority of F/T attacks deal K/E damage. As such, VGs, with their ridiculous K/E DR, are actually the *best* at tanking F/T K/E damage fights. For F/T I/E damage, VGs are the worst, but the difference in tanking performance for the various ACs isn't really all that much: tank stats don't matter and I/E DR is low for all of the tanks. The only reasons Shadows and Guardians win out for F/T I/E damage is because of their active mitigation mechanisms (Blade Barrier for Guardians and self heals + Resilience for Shadows). In short, you're kinda right, but still mostly wrong (VGs are the *best* for K/E F/T fights and perfectly workable for I/E F/T fights since the difference isn't really all that impressive).

Quote:
Guardian Tanks
+slightly better at holding single-target aggro than Vanguards
That's not even remotely true. Unless you're a completely incompetent VG, you're going to have a *way* easier time maintaining threat than a Guardian. Guardians have roughly 15% lower base DPS and no appreciable additional threat generation (their only higher-than-standard threat abilities that have a reasonable impact on actual performance are Force Sweep with 30% additional threat and Guardian Slash with the standard 50% higher). A VG will wipe the floor with a Guard tank on threat generation: Guardians are the *absolute worst* in every threat scenario right now (it'll change in 2.0; they're getting buffed heavily).

Quote:
no need to thank me noobs
Considering how much misinformation you're choosing to spread, I find it quite amusing that you're calling other people "noobs". You don't actually differentiate between K/E and I/E F/T attacks and have no idea what the actual threat and damage capabilities of the various tanks are when properly played. Probably the only thing you got correct was concerning the CDs, where VGs *are* kind of screwed by only having a single real CD.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

LarryRow
03.04.2013 , 10:11 AM | #14
I've gotten to the point with my Guardian tank where I don't really have problems with AoE or single-target threat (which is what people complain about the most). And our mitigation is fine.

The only gripe I have is that we have no offensive pull. Instead we get a push. Whoop de doo. So many times I have been tanking mobs and thought, "If only this mob was much, much farther away from me!"
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

mikebevo
03.04.2013 , 10:41 AM | #15
From a healers perspective that has been in progression groups with all three tank classes. It does not matter, they are all fine. Just like with healerís classes, player is more important than class. Personally my two favorite tank classes to heal are shadow and vanguard, but right now we are running with two Guardian tanks with no trouble, so it does not matter.

As the OP example of HM EC, I love healing the Kephess fight with shadow tanks. I can pretty much set back and relax as a healer on this fight with two well played Shadows. Not difficult with a vanguard or guardian either, but with a shadow, I have no worries.

However, it may have something to do with me completing so much endgame content with one particular shadow. I know when he needs healing and I know when I can concentrate on the rest of the group. Have a similar understand of our Vanguard too, where I am still trying to figure out guardians. I also have the added advantage with the shadow of having played a dps shadow, so I have a limited firsthand knowledge of some of the shadow tankís abilities.

I will say the smuggler sawbones tank is the best at pulling and holding aggro for those far range and hidden targets. Like in the room with 2 cores in HM TfB.

SleepyKing
03.04.2013 , 04:11 PM | #16
Guardian Tanks
+Broken OP in PvP (all other tanks are a negative to the team).
I'd add that this is wrong too. You're probably thinking of Focus guardians and Rage juggernauts (aka. smash bombers/LOL sweepers), which is a DPS spec, not a tanking spec.

In fact, I find that neither guardian or vanguard tanks are highly valued in PvP (although both have DPS specs that are excellent at same). They're actually not bad for objective-based play (carrying the huttball, defending a point), and can help mitigate damage with taunts and guards, but they have trouble actually killing stuff, so people tend to shy away or respec to DPS for PvP.

The exception to the "tanks suck for PvP" rule is the shadow/assassin tank, which is an excellent PvP class. They'll do OK damage and have a big toolkit of abilities that are perfect for PvP: speed boost, pull, push, stealth, self heals, several stuns, guards, taunts, and a strong set of active defensive cooldowns for when you get mobbed.

Arovien
03.04.2013 , 04:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SleepyKing View Post
I'd add that this is wrong too. You're probably thinking of Focus guardians and Rage juggernauts (aka. smash bombers/LOL sweepers), which is a DPS spec, not a tanking spec.

but [tank classes] have trouble actually killing stuff, so people tend to shy away or respec to DPS for PvP.
u r suppose to tank as a tank class. not dps. obviously the duties of a pvp tank =/= the duties of a pve tank. tanks are not meant to kill things in either environment. gg mate.

@other hater: which of my many accomplishments r u more jelly about?
Aro'Vien - Sage Healer

Aurojiin
03.04.2013 , 04:40 PM | #18
@other hater: which of my many accomplishments r u more jelly about?
All the Warstalker titles in the world won't make you any less wrong.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

Morschee
03.05.2013 , 12:28 AM | #19
Hey all.

As a VERY new player aka n00b to SWTOR, I wanted to know which is the best Tank Class to choose, from what I've read here, it seems Shadow/Assasin would be the best for a n00b l.ike me?

I know how to play Tank Role, I played DCUO (PS3) for 2 years, then decided to give this game a go, I chose a Juggenaut Tank, but then found this thread, it seems for a newcomer like myself, an Assassin is the way to go, or am I wrong?

The reason I would like to select the right Tank Class, is due to how harsh a community in any MMO can be on a Tank that's not so good, so picking the right one is important!

Kitru
03.05.2013 , 03:13 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Morschee View Post
I wanted to know which is the best Tank Class to choose
Assuming you're willing to deal with whatever changes the expansion throws to your class (they're changing the tanks pretty heavily; making Guardians simpler and VGs more complex, modifying the importance and effect of Shield, etc.) and make your decision on what to play based on what is going to only be true for the next 1-2 months at most, the answer to "what is best for a new player to choose" is pretty much always going to be VG/PT: they are, by design, the simplest tank class to play and require the least knowledge and general skill to play effectively; Guard/Juggs have simple survivability but the most complex attack priority and resource management; Shad/Sins have simple damage/threat generation, but require the most knowledge and skill to attain acceptable levels of survivability.

As a self described "noob", you probably shouldn't try to complicate matters. VGs are super simple and easy to learn. Their priority is forgiving, their survivability is largely passive, and you don't need to research and/or learn about the relevant attack types of all of the various mechanics that will get thrown at you in the end game.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.