Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper's role in Huttball?

Psychedelicvomit
03.01.2013 , 05:17 AM | #1
Hey all,

I've been PVPing for a little while now and come to realise I do better at warzones like ACW, AH, Voidstar than at huttball.

I know in huttball, snipers should not be ball carriers but are they supposed to run and try to chase down enemy ball carriers? Some of them pass so quickly its hard to keep chasing them. Should snipers be following team ball carriers and trying to peel attackers off them?

Or should they be trying to dominate the middle and let others like melee classes fulfill the objectives? And where should snipers be positioned?

TY

Atramar
03.01.2013 , 06:10 AM | #2
I tend to stay up in mid. closer to mine or enemy line? depends. if we are winning, I'm more to enemy side for faster pass, assuming alteast 4 people have brain in my team, 1 person should be with me, he will go down for ball, pass to me, so I can pass forward.
if we'r losing/close game, I'm closer to my goal, for defense in case I won't make it to the ball.

if I see we will score in a moment, and none of my team mates around, go down next to where ball spawns, entreh, wait for ball with my fonger on aoe mezz.

what we do? we gun down/root carriers, pin healers, and pass. targets would probably be enemy carrier>healers>smash monkies>sages/sorcerers (not cause they grant nice hits, but they can pull enemy carrier)

I treat my sniper as recreation pvp activity (I do main as assassin/operative) so I bet I will get corrected by more expierenced snipers (hopefully, I like to learn new things),
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Prabhunath
03.01.2013 , 07:23 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychedelicvomit View Post
I've been PVPing for a little while now and come to realise I do better at warzones like ACW, AH, Voidstar than at huttball.

I know in huttball, snipers should not be ball carriers but are they supposed to run and try to chase down enemy ball carriers? Some of them pass so quickly its hard to keep chasing them. Should snipers be following team ball carriers and trying to peel attackers off them?

Or should they be trying to dominate the middle and let others like melee classes fulfill the objectives? And where should snipers be positioned?

TY
You should always place your sniper at the highest perch. I usually place mine on the catwalks around the central area of the map, mainly because I can start picking out enemies from afar and it's not exactly easy for melee to approach me without my knowing.

What a sniper does in a game is highly dependable on his team composition and what is needed to be done. For a pug match, as a sniper your main task in just about any game is areal denial in my opinion. You safeguard contested nodes in ACW, NC and AHC; the doors in Voidstar; and the center area of Huttball where the ball spawns. Any enemy that enters 'your zone' should be exterminated.

Having said that, you should always place yourself in such a way that the enemy ball carrier has to go through your zone, and start picking them apart as soon as you can. Also, you should lookout for enemy players who are going into positions for favorable passes. Root them on traps, slow them down, do whatever you can to get them out of the game.

Should you chase them once they are past you? It depends. If you think you can finish them off, then you should. Otherwise, you keep that central area free of the enemy team. Remember, a sniper without cover is like an operative without stealth: a free meal for any DPS. You are not a melee, you don't have to chase the enemy. If they do get past/beyond you, move on to the next person who is within your range.

Edit: Here a nice video of a sniper doing his thing in PVP. For more information on how to play your sniper effectively, see NoTomorrow's guide on sniper PVP.
+ Sorc running out of Force while fighting Marauders? Bioware says L2HYTF...wonderful +
A day may come, when our courage fails, when we forsake our class, and break all bonds from it; when we fall to our knees and cower in fear, and we look up to you and see death as inevitable. But today is not that day. Today, we fight!

BaineOs
03.01.2013 , 07:47 AM | #4
It's the same as any other warzone, extremely situational. Watch what is happening in a warzone and make your decision based on that.
Es'carli D'Lakutos
Level 1 - 65, three disciplines, three characters, one video

NoTomorrow
03.01.2013 , 08:32 AM | #5
Interesting question. Both phylosophies are right. Either stationa and defend some more, or be mobile with your team. Your ability to provide near instand on demand burst, while having range at your disposal allows you to quickly help your team with focus fire.

Try both tactics. go mobile with your ball carrier if your team alteady has a stationary sniper. I like preventing fast caps at the match beginning. sorcs like to storm your side of the map with the ball, or pull e carrier. You must be vigilant to quickly kill these guys.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

islander
03.01.2013 , 09:34 AM | #6
I usually start out by camping mid from above, as long as the rest of the team is doing okay with ball movement without me. I'll move forward situationally when it makes sense but generally speaking I like to slow down the initial possession and give my team time to get back after a failed offensive effort.

Plus, I can keep an eye on the defensive wings behind me, and catch anyone who's snuck back there and is camping out waiting for an opportunity for a quick score or pull (sage/sorc). Too often people die and completely miss folks, even unstealthed, who just try hiding there - behind the physical barrier at the far edge.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

stringcat
03.01.2013 , 12:07 PM | #7
Snipers are also fairly good at picking up the ball -- they have the CC to stop others from rushing for it, and they can plop down beside the spawn & entrench to prevent the same happening to them. (Once you HAVE the ball you need to be looking for your pass-target, though; you don't have a lot of survivability on the move. Don't be afraid to chill in cover for a few seconds to think about your next move or wait for others to get in good positions for passes. You'll last longer in cover than on the move and it will be easier to get off passes / ditch the ball.)

Snipers are also good offensively at being receivers for ball passes, because they can't be leaped to for intercepts, and are good at being friendly leap targets, because they can't be pulled while in cover and with entrench they are difficult to dislodge with knockbacks.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

DroidDreamer
03.01.2013 , 05:51 PM | #8
1. Camp mid.
2. Camp mid.
3. Camp mid.
4. Occasionally pick up the ball (drop down into Entrench unless you are alone at mid) if no one else is around to get it but you need to be ready to pass it immediately or reset it to buy time since you have no survivability.
5. Camp mid.

Mid is where the ball respawns after each score and after any reset or failed pass. If you're playing to win, help your team get EVERY respawn of the ball. You don't need to kill everyone at mid but you should be scooting them out of mid and out of your range at least so that your team can get the ball if it respawns. Bonus points for roots, Flashbangs and the accuracy debuff in MM to help your ball carrier escape from mid.

Not happy with rules 1, 2, 3, and 5? Here's a variant: Camp mid on the enemy's side to help your team forward. The only time I leave mid in Huttball is when NO ONE on my team is running the ball or getting open for passes. Just last night I had to get the ball three times to setup passes/scores even with a Jugg standing there at mid.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Psychedelicvomit
03.01.2013 , 06:01 PM | #9
Thanks guys.

I realise that in huttball there are so many LOS obstructions that its actually more efficient to just be stationed somewhere and try to pick people off and not chase them if they try to run (like jumping below into the pit).

Problem is that in pugs you see one group of teammates just fighting enemies on one side of the map while the ball carriers (whether enemy or friendly) in another area running to try to score. That leaves you with the un-ideal job of trying to run with the ball carrier, peel off them, etc. And we're not exactly very mobile.....lol.

Sometimes when it comes to that and the pug team doesn't bother about objectives in huttball, I just think 'what the heck' I'll just go for my damage and kills medals myself, rather than try to do the melee's job of running around. But the dilemma is that thinking logically I should still try to peel of ball carriers.

Hence the questions.

One other thing. If there is a sorceror behind you at the goal line and a ball carrier in front of you trying to get to goal , and you're alone, which should you run to kill first?

islander
03.01.2013 , 06:05 PM | #10
Sorcerer, although its best to actually move him out of the way of being useful, versus going out of your way to kill him.
If you can use your ambush or cover pulse to get him out of there, that is more useful as it takes less time over actually burning him down.

If hes at your goal line/end zone specifically, you gotta kill him - or anyone else for that matter. In fact, you should be posting in ops chat when possible "other team camping our end zone" and hope someone comes back there to help you clean up. huttball gets out of hand QUICK when the opposition is allowed to 'set up shop' back in your defensive zone.

A lot fo winning huttball matches I'm at the low end of medals on the winning team, specifically because I'll sit back and play defense by default , especially if we're up only one or two late. All I care about is winning. I don't care who gets the glory. Losing sucks.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five